Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocbird

Favorite winter garden related activity?

ocbird
20 years ago

Aside from bedding.... LOL

Comments (9)

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

Planning which annuals to grow from seed. I think this year will be more exciting, too, because I want to try my hand at winter sowing. Wish me luck!

• beigestonehill
    20 years ago

reading seed catalogs and dreaming... this year I will probably spend a lot of time right here, I also love pruning in the winter

• ocbird
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Good luck Wendy! What are you sowing?

• jakkom
    20 years ago

There's more going on in winter in CA gardens than in other seasons, I think...once the rains start this is when things start greening up, including all those dratted weeds! Our neighbors are a love but they just don't keep the weeds down and those seedheads lean right over into my flower beds so it's a constant fight. If it weren't for mulching I'd be tempted to Roundup a 2' strip all along her side of the property line (but I never would, I just fantasize...).

I plan on what plants I want to put in to replace those I don't like or have died. We overplanted for a lush look so pruning is critical now that the plants are established and some of them are obviously doing better at the expense of their neighbors.

If we don't get enough rain we have to water. If we get too much rain we worry about plants rotting in the ground. The eternal battle against slugs and snails ratchets up a hundred-fold in intensity.

And then--the oxalis pes-caprae starts to pop up in every Northern CA yard and vacant lot to announce that spring has arrived!

• nature_gal
    20 years ago

My favorite thing to do is tend my indoor gardens in the terrariums.

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

Anne,
    It took me a while to get back to this thread. I read Trudi's writeup for the Winter Sowing FAQ , and got all excited about it. I'm not set on anything in particular right now - figuring it out will be part of the Winter Activity, but I have some things in mind. Annuals, like I said, especially annual vines to get a jumpstart on the growing season. Every year I try and fail with Moonflower, Morning Glory, Cardinal Climber, Cypress Vine, Canary Flower, Hyacinth Bean that sort of thing. I am stubborn and keep trying different tactics - which haven't worked yet, sooooooo, I'm trying winter sowing!

Also, I would also like to sow a few new (to me) ornamental grasses.

Wendy

• ocbird
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Wendy,i'll have to check out that link, thanks!

I just sowed seeds for california and red poppies, nicotania, and asclepsias tuberosa. I haven't had good luck with in-ground sowing, usually, but maybe i'll do a better job this year. Oh, of course, also sweet peas.

I'm going to try and plant more bulbs too.

I did the same overplanting that jkom did, so i'm also going to do some cleaning out...

we're so lucky to be able to garden year round here! guess that's one of the reasons we put up with the prices!

• wsw_michigan
    20 years ago

I got into seed trading last year (through the seed exchange forum) - what a blast. I am totally hooked and have been squirreling away seeds all summer to trade like mad come winter. It's extremely addictive!!

• mamabirrd
    20 years ago

I love watching the goldfinches enjoy seeds from my Agastache. I let this prolific self-seeder come up everywhere just so my little friends can have more and more every winter. And i'm sure spending time in my new greenhouse will be high on the list this year.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting