Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindapnw

favorite garden boots

LindaPNW
20 years ago

Last year I bought my first GARDEN BOOTS and I think they're great. They are called THE DAILY HOME & GARDEN SHOE from the Muck Boot Company. They are slip on rubber boots that are low like shoes and they feel like comfortable slippers on your feet.

I discovered there are different styles of this low boot and many stores do not carry all of them. Some have a more rigid sole than others and are not as flexible when you're walking. Some have more padding inside to keep your feet warmer in colder weather.

I debated which style to buy, but I'm very happy with the Daily Home and Garden Shoe. It is so comfortable and easy to get on and off. I'm happy!

Comments (10)

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

Lands End rubber shoes - have not seen them lately in their catalog.

• mamabirrd
    20 years ago

Linda...I agree. My muck boots and shoes are the greatest and couldn't be any more comfortable. I am planning on purchasing a pair for my mother-in-law for Christmas. She likes to garden and i'm sure she'll love these!

• sandra_NY
    20 years ago

Do these muck boots have good traction on the sole? In another forum I was raving over my beloved washable Birkenstock garden clogs except I forgot to mention I ended up on crutches because of them. I have very hilly property and their soles are very smooth. I slipped and sprained an ankle.
    I've been looking for a good garden shoe/boot that I can remain upright with.

• LindaPNW
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Sandra, the muck boots have deep, rigid treads on the bottom for gripping. I run up and down 45 degree hills all the time (bark dusted hills) and they seem to track fine. And, they don't twist on your foot like a lot of boots. I suppose if you wore the tread down on cement over time they might become slippery, but I haven't noticed. (knock on wood).

I don't know what they'd do if I ran up and down hills of grass, however, since I'm a person who never says never! Because the bottom is rubber, I suppose there are always situations where they could be slippery, now that you mention it. But, I've never noticed, and I wear them a lot.

Ok...I just did an experiment. I got my boots wet and walked through the garage. The cement is flat and smooth. Yes, they will slip under certain conditions. My cement outdoors is aggragate, so it provides traction and I usually don't notice slippage. So I guess it is an inherent problem with rubber soles.

Sorry to hear about your Birkenstock fiasco. Thanks for alerting us. I hope you have better luck with your new boots! Let us know!

• sandra_NY
    20 years ago

Linda PNW,
    Wow, I love the garden web!
    I did an internet 'Muck boot" search as soon as I read the postings in this forum and was overjoyed to see all the choices.
    I do have another question. One site was selling green boots simply identified as 'garden boots' and it specifically mentioned their excellent tread. Another site had several boot choices, one of which was called the Muck 'Chore boot' (which showed a black boot). Do you know if they are the same boot style? Are all the treads the same?

• LindaPNW
    Original Author
    20 years ago

The low cut rubber shoe that I purchased was THE DAILY HOME & GARDEN SHOE (LT.GREEN/GREEN, #DLY-333E.) I usually wear size 6 1/2, but I bought 7/7.5 and they fit great (I have a wide foot however).

I debated between that shoe and another Muck Boot Co. shoe that was very similar. I noticed on the other that the rigid sole was less flexible and comfortable, and had added insulation for very cold weather. I did have to debate between the two for some time, and I'm very glad I purchased The Daily Home and Garden Shoe.

The complete line never seems to be sold anywhere, but you do find different models if you search various garden stores. I'd copy the information you found on the internet and call around to find the best selection, then try them on if you can. I actually purchased mine at the Lawn, Garden, and Patio show in Portland Oregon.

I think each boot is designed with different rigidity, insulation and tread and each feels quite unique, so it's helpful if you can try them all on. Let us know when you purchse your boots!

• sandra_NY
    20 years ago

Thanks so much for the information. I'm beginning my search!!

Sandra

• sandra_NY
    20 years ago

Linda,
    I have my muck boots and they are absolutely perfect. I got two pairs: the daily home and garden shoe and the mid high chore boots which has a sole especially for hilly terrain as well as concrete and asphalt.

Now that I know them, I realize that many people in my area wear muck boots. But I don't ask what people wear on their feet and noone ever offered: ("Gee Sandra, it's too bad we always see you falling down your hills. Why don't you get yourself some muck boots"). BUT THANK YOU GARDENWEB MEMBERS FOR SHARING!!! Muck boots have been added to my list of the ten best purchases of a lifetime. Thanks again for introducing me to them. Bring on the ice and mud-I'm ready now!!!!

Sandra

• LindaPNW
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Wow! Glad to hear you are so happy! I'm sure a lot of people will be interested in learning more about the chore boots especially designed for hilly terrain as well as concrete. Yes, your neighbors should have noticed you falling down your hills and shared their secret! Our neighbor used to get his paper in the morning wearing a green short bathrobe with tall garden boots. I always wanted to ask him about those boots because they seemed so versatile....he'd wear them in the winter as well as the summer with his shorts and white shirts while mowing the lawn. (This always made my teenage boys stare in awe...if the attire wasn't baggy jeans and boxers they couldn't relate. Well, I take that back. When they were 4 they used to wear shorts and rubber boots everywhere.) So, it was because of my neighbor and his passion for rubber boots that I decided to educate myself and find the perfect garden shoe.

Happy gardening Sandra! Have fun in the mud!

Linda

• sandra_NY
    20 years ago

Linda,
    We have twin neighbors!
    I put up my deer fencing this week and already my boots came in handy. Staking and draping on the hills after heavy rain is usually treacherous work but not this year. The mucks were great!
    Sandra

Sponsored