Return to the Favorites Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's the most expensive plant you ever bought?

Posted by Nigella 8b-9a, SE (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 02 at 17:57

The highest price I've paid was for a Lycaste virinalis. It was in bloom at the time, and although I had one already I simply couldn't let it get away from me. What is your's?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's the most expensive plant you ever bought?

(gulp!) I paid $45 for a daylily.

o

I paid about 25.00 for a rose including shipping :( That bugger better earn it's keep!

o

• Posted by mjsee nc,orange (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 18, 02 at 8:17

Peonies...Which are still alive even after our drought. I hope they bloom next spring--It will be year three in place--I got one bloom this spring. If they don't bloom next spring I'll have to move them. Peonies can be tricky down here--you have to get them sited just right. Enough sun so they'll bloom--not too much or they scorch. I'm afraid mine might not be getting enough sun...The leaves are healthy enough. I had planned to put more in this fall--but withour watering restrictions I'm not planting ANYTHING. Melanie

o

*GASP* Cicadae! You didn't????? So far, you've got us beat! I wasn't trying to find out how much you paid, I hope you know, I wouldn't do that any more than I would ask you how much you have in your bank account. Just wondered what plants make people open their wallets, I guess, lol, what textures, colors, and other factors instill the need to possess a plant even at great cost. Does any of that make sense?

o

Well... do trees count? I've bought quite a few, and they aren't cheap, all in the 80-100 dollar range.

Oh wait, last fall I paid 12.50 a piece for 44 dwarf Korean lilacs called 'Miss Kim', hehehe you do the math. I put in a nice hedge :)

Wylee

o

OOOOH Wylee, that Miss Kim is a beauty! I'm so jealous, lilacs suffer an agonizing demise here.

o

Ah but Nigella, it was deep burgundy with golden edges and rich rose toward the center and it cried out to me.......
and I got caught in a dumb bidding war and my pride got involved!
It is next to my kitchen window and I guard it with my LIFE!

o
Most Expensive!!!

Cicadae, I paid $100 for a double fan of PRIMAL SCREAM. For you non-daylily lovers, that's a tall, orange, unusual form daylily. $100 - what was I thinking? But I sure do like it!

Denise

o

I've typicaly spent a $100 or so for good sized caliper trees. And $50 & up for field grow native azaleas and rhodies.

The one nurserywomen, now retired, who I used to buy from and many of those $50 & up azaleas/rhodies would have cost a $100-$150 from places like Carlson's or Roslyn's Nursery out on L.I......anyway she had this beautiful elipidote rhodie (forget the lineage), with beautifuly rich indumentum. a well rounded 4' specimin that just stood out on her 5 acre property. The asking price???? $1,000.

Hank Schannen of Rare Finds Nursery has cuttings of this plant. I intend on picking one up.....just as a remembrance of that beautiful rhodie. I forget where it ended up. Some arboretum, possibly via Hank Dilitash (sp?).

True story.

o

$70 for a Wysteria vine :)

o

$40 for a horsechesnut tree. It was fairly large and in good shape and I couldn't find one either in the other local nurseries or by mail order (Forest Farm ran out).

o

Denise, Surely it's not only daylilies that make normally rational folks do nutty things (like spend over $100.00 for a small plant!)
Thank goodness I haven't been bit by the orchid bug!

LISA

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 6, 03 at 0:26

We put in a new garden so are big on container plants for the 'instant show' we get. Plants are expensive here and a couple of trees walloped our pocketbook but good.

$200 for a Melaleuca nesophila, or pink melaleuca. It was a special order and I was rather disappointed at how small it was, about a 5-gallon size and 2' tall. Thought it was rather a ripoff, actually. But we couldn't get the michelia I really wanted.

$250 for a very nice, 6' tall 'Sango Kaku' Japanese maple. This was a bargain, in comparison to the other JMaples. Most of the ones I liked at a good local nursery were in the $500-750 range, and would take a crane to install!

Otherwise, I try to keep it down to less than $20/container for big plants and below $10/container for medium-sized. Thank goodness we have a relatively small lot, keeps me from going really hog-wild and denting the wallet permanently...

o

I want to buy a tree Peony. The prices seem to be between $50 and $100. Plus shipping. Maybe for my birthday?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 11, 03 at 18:10

there are lots of net sites selling bonsai in the $10,000 - $20,000 range (that's right, no decimal point) & up. i suppose it would ruin your whole day if you croaked one of those. ;0D

o

I *almost* paid $100 for the daylily, Passion District. I'm glad I didn't. This year it's $45, and next year I think I may be able to afford it.

o

$89.00 for a plumeria rooted cutting! If you add everything I bought last year it would easily exceed 1,000.00! I bought a Michelia Alba for 75.00 plus s&h which really "killed me." I am a total garden "junkie!" LOL

o

I once spent over $75.00 on (12) Digitalis ambigua (now grandiflora), mailordered from White Flower Farms. Had an agreement with a gardening friend to split the shipment and the cost. She changed her mind AFTER I received shipment. Over the years I have learned how well they re-seed themselves. You only need to buy one of some plants, they will multiply on their own.

o

I spent $150 for a daylily--NORTHWIND DANCER. It's been worth every penny.

o

Ha Ha Ha... I am very embarrassed to say that the most 'extravagant' purchase I have allowed myself is a .... OMG ..... $5.50 for a daylilly. YIKES! And I trepedized over that for weeks. Ha Ha Ha... My garden is comprised of plants that I've moved around and divided and have transplanted from self seeding. Guess you can tell I'm on a very tight budget. My garden is very pretty, though. My biggest treasure this year, so far, has been this beautiful plant that I found growing along side the road. My neighbor thinks I'm totally nuts. I saw the flower, actually, two years ago at a flower show at our County Fair. The foliage is fuzzy and silver w/low broad leaves and the flower spike is tall and narrow and it flowers in a spiral. The flowers themselves are bright yellow and spiral up a silver stem. It's just stunning. My neighbor tells me it's a weed. I don't care, it's beautiful. Jim

o

Jim, ALL garden plants came from the same kinds of origins as your plant (which I suspect is a stachys(lamb's ear) of some kind, from your description. Folks in other places consider them mundane, I guess, but Mobile gardeners have never seen them and went wild over them.) People come to my garden and want to know why I "let those weeds grow". They haven't seen the goldfinches, hummingbirds and other birds enjoying them so much more than they do the non-natives, I guess. Here's a wild gladiolus, not a native but naturalized, I got from a vacant lot that keeps getting mowed just before the buds open that the hummers really love.

o

The most I've spent on plants is $78 a piece for two pink dogwood trees.

o

Thu, Feb 27, 03 at 19:40

Hey, keep growing those so-called weeds! Nigella, that is one beautiful glad to have found!

There's an interesting article on heirloom plants in the recent BHG specialty gardening mag (sorry, just packed it up because of a remodeling tear-out); it's the one that also contains an article on a lady in La Jolla, CA with 3 acres (!) that she gardens on, with a photo of a mosaic-tiled terra-cotta statue of herself that her family gave her for a present one year.

Anyway, the heirloom plant article said that dahlias were extremely popular with the Victorians. They had 15,000 species of them.

Today, there are only 3 left. Of all the colors and shapes we have available to us, they only come from three varieties. All the others are lost to us forever.

So propagate and document those 'wild natives', because they are really the most valuable of all!

o
RE: what's the most expensive plant you ever bought? (correction

Thu, Feb 27, 03 at 19:44

Oops sorry, relied on my memory, which is obviously fading fast.

The Victorians had 10,000 species of dahlias, not 15,000. Still, an impressive number.

Hard to believe we lost 9,997 of them in 150 years, isn't it?

o

I was in hot pursuit of a species Clematis texensis, which I had tried to root (unsuccessfully) from cuttings. Heronswood steared me to a nursery in TX, which had the plant but was only licensed to ship south of the Mason-Dixon line (I am not making this up). This was pretty frustrating news for a confirmed Yankee, but I remembered a non-gardening friend living in NC. I persuaded him to accept delivery, open the box, refresh the plants, re-package and reship them to me in Chicago. I asked if I could do anything for him in return, and he indicated thatI could ship him a box of various sausages and cured meat from his favorite store, Usinger's (he apparently grew up in Milwaukee).

The plant total was under $100 (I ordered several) but the sausage shipment and dozens of phone calls to find a plant source, negotiate delivery, etc., more than doubled that figure.

And the rabbits ate all four within a month.

o

Black stemmed bamboo,1st three died and the 4th & last
does not look like it will survive. The other is a Harry Lauder walking stick and I think the nursery should have
sent Harry home with me also to look after it.

o

designingwoman, that's a really funny story! Thanks for sharing it!

The most expensive plant I can remember buying is my jasmine. But that's about to change since I want a few shrubs and ornamental understory trees for my new yard.

o

>$40 for a horsechesnut tree. It was fairly large and in >good shape and I couldn't find one either in the other >local nurseries or by mail order

My goodness!

IF anyone's in Canada, send me a self addressed stamped envelope and I'll send you the next sprouted horse chestnut seed I find in the compost pile! For free.

o

A himalayan maidenhair fern (Adiantum venustum).
But I haven't regretted its purchase. It is a pleasure to behold.
Plus, it's evergreen, so it's the last thing I see in the fall and the first thing I saw this spring.

o

• Posted by CaroleP Ontario, Canada (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 03 at 16:25

Went to an open house which is held here every year by a man and his wife who have over two acres of flowers. Bought a lily root (I believe the name was Kitten's Paw) and paid $35.00 for it. That was 15 years ago. I nearly fainted at the price but didn't have the nerve to give it back. I planted it in my yard and spent the summer fighting with a family of rabbits who were trying to eat it. It eventually flowered and was absolutely beautiful. We sold the house two years later and by that time the plant had spread and was magnificent. However, the people who bought our house obviously weren't interested in the flower beds and got rid of them. I was devastated!

o

What type of rooted plumeria did you get for $100.?? My Mom could barely give away her white plumeria tree of 6'x 4'. It was too big for her den and Dad didn't want to lift it every year from the patio to the house.

I would have to guess an orchid may be on my most expensive individual item of $45. or so. Most of my garden is from mail order, including my fruit trees, so they came as 1" thick sapplings and some are now 12+" wide.

o

a kousa dogwood for $120. but i really want the variagated aralia for $175!!!

o

Mielie, I really, really wish I knew your mom! I'd have been happy to adopt her plumeria and it would have had a loving home.

o

Lordy! I'm glad I live in Florida, where most plants are pretty cheap. I'm trying to give away plumeria now, and can't imagine every spending $100 for one.

Melaleuca is invasive down here, so I'd probably pay someone $100 NOT to plant one in my yard! LOL

Anyway, I love growing things from cuttings and babies, so the most expensive one I ever bought was a $27 orchid, which had blooms that reminded me of daffodils, and it hasn't bloomed since.

o

Ok, I think a 6 foot Hinoki cypress for $100 was the most BUT I just spent (an hour ago) $15 for an impatiens! hanging basket and that I think is alot! Oh, but it is gorgeous, huge, and the flowers are double rose shaped and pink AND white swirled together. So lovely and I do hope it lasts this summer.
I have spent at least $100 this year on ANNUALS!

o

Not a plant but about two years ago I paid $75.00 for two yellow clivia seeds that came in a plastic tube and I was guaranteed at least one would germinate. Two years later I am still waiting and the company claims my seed starting techniques are at fault. They're still in their starter mix and I keep hoping but it's not looking good at this point!

o

rhine59,
Those seeds should have germinated after 30 days or so.
Did you cover the seeds? Clivia seeds should be sown so that part of the seed is exposed to light. Just press the seeds into the medium so that part of the seed is still showing. I think the seeds need light to germinate. If you covered them, dig them up and inspect the seeds. If they are still plump, wash them off under warm water and then re-sow them by just pressing them into the medium. You never know...keep us posted.

I purchased a 7' 'Tolleson's Blue Weeping' juniper for $120.00 and a 5' American Fringe Tree (Chionanthus virginicus for $70.00. Most of the plants I purchase are small, as I think they establish better than larger plants. Larger plants have usually been growing in their pots for an excessive amount of time and they are usually root bound.
Mike

o

I feel like such a cheapo! I won't pay more than $8 for anything!!! LOL. I just broke down and bought a $20 scotch broom and felt guilty about spending that kind of money. I actually considering dumping 80 bucks on some clumping cold-hardy bamboo though...

o

A weeping birch,in 1976 for $45.00.Then we sold that home(in Idaho).I dug the tree back up,Balled and burlaped it and gave it to a friend.It died --boo hoo
Marian

o

Woops!! That was a weeping BEECH.

o

• Posted by lynxe z6B/PA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 15, 03 at 17:34

I just bought, for fall delivery, 2 three-year-old Chinese tree peonies--not grafted ones. I believe one was $75; the other was more than that. I've spent more on trees in the past, but this is probably the upper limit other than that. But that's only because I've got two other near-obsessions (orchids and daylilies) under control so far. I'm in real trouble if I lose those battles!

o

I'm also one of the cheaper gardeners, but I spent $30 on an "Amethyst Falls" wisteria. I'm keeping it potted so it can't take over the whole subdivision. That scent, those exquisite blooms, oh, it was worth every penny. :)

o

• Posted by Leeanne Z5 Chattaroy, W (My Page) on
    Fri, May 16, 03 at 22:33

When we moved across the state, I had to leave my Camper's Down Elm (weeping) After a year, I missed that tree -
drove 300 miles back to Woodinvillle WA and bought another -
$150 I don't regret it for a minute - it's beautiful.

o

I purchased a Buff Beauty antique rose for $15.00 a few years ago. It caused me to buy 75+ more.

o

Cornus alternifolia argentea, for $250.00. It is a glorious tree, hard to find, and I didn't want to start out with a twig-in-the-ground at my age. It was my Christmas/Birthday/Anniversary present-for-the-year from my husband (well, he PAID for it!) I guard it with my life.

o

• Posted by clg1 z7 AR (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 03 at 23:20

Okay, so 6 years ago as a brand new gardener I went to Plants Delight nursery with my garden group. Not knowing too many plants, I decided to follow the University Horticulturist around and duplicate one of his 'special' picks. I ended up with a $25 Chinese Mayapple expecting something exotic to add to my garden. Well, it has come up every year...one round leaf...no flower, no scent, no redeeming factor at all...I finally removed the plant identification label and replaced it with one reading 'Cyndee's folly'.

o

In august I will be buying my most expensive plant. My husband lives in Alberta, I live in Ontario.... we USED to live in British Columbia where I got a treelike shrub called "Enkianthus Red Bells". Nobody in my area carries it! So, we've decided that I'm going to fly to Alberta and see my hubby... during that weekend, we will drive over the mountains for over 12 hrs into B.C. and get me an Enkianthus. Drive back to AB, and Hubby and I will fly back to Ontario to plant it. Hmmm.... plane fare for 2 return trip across the country, 12 hr road trip over mountains (lotsa gas usage) possibly a motel for the night. OMG! I think I have everyone beat! Oops forgot about actually paying for the plant itself.

o

I paid $100.00 for my dwarf 'Bonfire' Peach tree. It was well worth it. :O)

~Dana~

o

Would you believe $900.00 for a 5 caliper red maple. I was told that the price of the tree was $600 and the rest was for delivery and planting. I desperately needed shade for the back of the house. I am sure it has paid for itself in air conditioning savings the last 4 years.

o

I'm so glad i'm not the only gardening spendthrift out there.. i just spend hundreds of dollars redoing my garden with tropicals, but individually, the most expensive plant was $99.00 for a gorgeous giant bird of paradise.

Instant gratification!

o

$250 for a 7'tall indoor Kentia Palm. I thought, "am I nuts?" But I really loved it! She's happy here with us- I baby her. And if I had a nickel for everyone that comes in and tells me how nice she is, I would have paid for it by now!! :)

o

I am so cheap. My most expensive plant was $7 it is a Mandevilla. I have a big flower bed with a 20 year old Bird of Paradise, A Yucca Cane, lots of Canna Lillies, Huge Elephant Ears, Amyrillis, Rain Lilies(about 20 of them), plain orange Daylilies, Rose Bushes, some sort of Crinum?(looks like a lilly but not sure how to spell) and lots of Gladiolus. I also have several potted plants, cactus orchid,wandering jew, ivy, aloe vera and several other cactus. This is my first year at gardening and I spent maybe $20 on plants most of my plants were rescued from family members that didn't want to take care of them.

o

You guys make me feel so great! Here I was kicking myself for spending $20 for an iris - I feel so much better now! =)

And I can't believe people pay money for Scotch Broom. It is an invasive weed here in WA, and we can't cut them down and rip them out fast enough. Funny how things are like that in different climates.

Mike

o

I think I paid upwards of $200 for a good sized concolor fir; soft needled, frosty blue, tipped with raspberry cones. The a@*h*^& I hired to plant the bigger plant material when we landscaped this place had left the burlap AND the rope still girdling the trunk. Had it not been for a smaller gingko that he also killed by planting it too deep (8" deeper than the top of the root ball!)I would never have gone back to check his work and discover the girdling on the fir. Fortunately, it lived, and is not near as big as the specimen below but it is my favorite tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: abies concolor candicans

o

wow...i love flowers and plants and would love to buy some trees for my yard but am waiting on them to go on clearance at end of summer,and also waiting to sweet talk dbf into buying them for me...lol...the most i have paid for a plant is a gypsy carnival rose,it was in bloom and i fell in love with it "was also a weekend that i had been sick and had not gotten my plant`fix`...lol> it was in front of the grocery store of all places for $8.99.it is in bloom now with about 8 big flowers and it is so pretty.all of my other flowers were either given to me as gifts or devides or they were on sale or came from the lowes clearance rack...my fav place to check for deals,all perennials for 50 cents to $5 for rose tree/hedge. beth in ga

o

$175. for a variegated aralia elata from Gossler Farms nursery in Oregon. I always point it out when tours come thru!

o

Well, it's the end of August and here I am in Calgary! The trip to British Columbia went well... and sitting on my husband's deck are my BABIES!!! I am the proud owner of the most expensive plants I ever bought... oh these plants only cost DH about $100 total BUT as I said in my previous post (about 10 posts up) the airfare and the drive, and the motel rooms come into the equation. We fly to my home in southern ontario Saturday evening.
I bought my babies at Minter Country Gardens in Chilliwack BC. They are the BEST bunch of ppl! Even Brian Minter himself still works his garden center. They were helpful, full of hints and well wishes. So, what did I buy?
1 Gunnera (smallest i could get)
3 Oriental Lilies
2 Enkianthus "Red Bells"
1 Mimosa tree
1 Tibouchina (dark blue)
Oh and I mustn't forget the 15.00 plastic storage container to fly my babies home with! :)
I was never so happy to pay so much for plants LOL!

o

four large Juniperas monospermas @$80 per.but
i don't like spending money on plants...transplanted tiny sagebrush seedlings (artemesia filifolia)and ocassionally cut them way back.(lived in the desert)grew a lot of penstemon ambiguuous and silene antirrhina, native grass from seed.hated to move...

o

• Posted by Trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 29, 03 at 14:25

Hmmm....on a few occasions Hubs has bonked out I go online and start shopping at Plants Delights. He now swears I'm holding his HOSTAge. I agree.

o

Expensive plants?!?!?! hahahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!! Mwahahahahaa! Um, sorry =) lol! I don't spend more than $100 on my entire garden in a year, just can't afford it! I can't really think of a plant that I have spent more than $6 on... I cringe to spend more than $10 on a flat. But, you could never tell by the looks of things around here!
I have made but one big splurge in my gardening career thus far, about $30 for my hand-blown glass gazing ball.

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden

o

Ok I'll fess up to paying $250 for 3 lovely oak trees for my first new home. Bought them off of the back of a pick-up cruising the newly built neighborhood (how nice of him to even plant them for me). All 3 were dead within a week. Dug them up to find absolutly NO Rootball. An expensive lesson....

o

Oh me, I hate to tell this. This summer I've bought four daylily's that ran almost $100.00 each. Julie Newmar, Primal Scream, Gerda Brooker, and my hubby seen Grandpaw Munster in a book and wanted it for his special DL. So we have it also. How do you tell a man no, when he knows what you've been up to. LOL These I added to my other 350+, guess it's no secret where my money goes. It's well worth it when I see them bloom!!!!!!!!!!!

o

My Vibernum trilobum.

o

$50 for a crape myrtle. Well, it was marked down from $69.95 and besides, it was the exact color I wanted. I think I wrote "Publix" in the checkbook ledger.

o

$49.99 for one (yes, only ONE) barely 4" pot sized plant of the double-flowered trillium (T. grandiflorum flore pleno), about 10 years ago when I was still dumb enough to order from Wayside Gardens. I had the standard white trillium growing fairly well and always wanted the double form. I should have been happy with my double-flowered bloodroot (S. canadensis muliplex) and left well enough alone. Well, you guessed it, the double trillium didn't even make it through one season. Ouchy.

o

The most expensive single plant? A landscape-sized King Palm - $300. That was over 20 yrs ago and it looks better every year, now joined by 2 smaller ones.
Most expensive still in containers? 3 rare yellow Clivia on sale @ $35 each. rhine59, want a piece when I divide them?
Bill

o

The most expensive plant I've ever bought was a $50 "Anah Kruschke" rhododendron. It's not that the price was so outrageous--it was a largish plant, and very healthy. What made it so expensive was that 1 year after I planted it, the dogs destroyed it--literally tore it limb from limb--while they were fence-fighting with the dog next door. All that was left of my Anah Kruschke was three 1" stubs sticking out of the ground. Now even those are gone--stomped into the ground and no doubt composted. Nothing remains of my $50 Anah Kruschke rhododendron.

o

WOW......do I feel extravagant. I'd hate to admit the $$ I have invested in my garden. I see a plant I want, I buy it! But hey - we all have our vices - I could be charging up the credit card at the mall instead and have nothing significant to show for it after a year or two. So I buy plants - big ones, rare ones, you name it. Topping the list was a large specimen weeping Katsura at $350, followed closely by a Taylor's Sunburst pine at $250. We won't discuss the excursions to a local select purveyor of shade plants for the rare species of arisaemas and the pricey hostas. Nor the frequent trips to Heronswood, where it won't take any time and only a couple of plants to hit $150. And then there are the rare plant auctions each spring to benefit our local perennial society - auctions are DANGEROUS!!

But I don't regret a single penny spent and I've got one heck of a killer garden.

o

Just came to this forum today (sorry, Margaret--I can barely keep up with the 2 or 3 other forums I go to every day!) Jungle Jim, I think what you found is a Mullein. They do look like Lamb's ears, but get a whole lot bigger. Don't let them go to seed, before cutting the stalks--they will spread! I have had them in the Indiana garden (vacation cabin) but not in Pensacola. I did bring some seed pods home this year and will plant some in the spring. I like the plant for the leaves more than the flower!

o

I had to laugh at the entries who said they paid a whole $100-$150 for daylilies. I know a gardener who hybridizes them and has bought daylily plants for $250 or more.

o

I hate to admit this but $400 for a Burr Oak tree. The tree itself was $300 and I was charged $100 for it to be planted and this wasn't a really large caliper tree. Probably about 3" at the time. I've since bought similiar sized Burr Oaks and Red Oaks from a different nursery, paying $300-$350 to have them delivered and planted. We desperately needed shade in our yard. The $68 Red Oak I bought at H. Depot has nearly caught up in size to the original $400 Burr Oak.

o

• Posted by Rohail z11 Pakistan (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 7, 04 at 9:15

bought my most expensive plants today...michelia champaca, not that large, for $40, and ylang ylang for $30...they're both beautiful perfumed trees. Got my eye on a massive stunningly graceful Arica(sp?) Palm priced at $350 but going to wait on that

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 7, 04 at 11:26

A buddy of mine (I sold cars with him about 30 years ago) bought a tree worth $4,600 dollars (it was a BIG tree) round about '73 or '74. This guy was a wild man. After a night of drinking at local bars, eating bar glasses, and streaking (it was a fad then) he smashed up the demo he was driving and ended up in jail. That got him immediately fired, but, not to be outdone by a mere dismissal, four days later (he wasn't really a good salesman, so he was always broke & didn't have bail money. I suspect in large part, that fact was partly responsible for his new jobless status), when he got out of jail, just to prove his sense of humor was still intact, he called me and asked me to let the sales manager know he wouldn't be in that day. Well, to get back to my expensive plant story, about thirty days after the accident, he received a bill for the tree that struck his demo - that's where the $4,600 plant enters the story.

He promptly relocated to Florida. I've heard from him a couple of times over the last 30 years, but if anybody in Florida knows a guy that calls himself "The Wizard", would you kindly remind him that he owes Al, from Michigan a hundred bucks and that he still has my Wilson A-2000 softball glove?

Thank you,

Al from Michigan

o

My biggest garden expense is usually in plants for my baskets & containers, flats of annuals, vegetables, soil & mulch. Since we've only lived here a couple of years, I've been trying to divide things and spread them out before buying anything new. Last year was the first year I bought several new things. My biggest expenses were a Japanese Barberry, Warminster Broom (all gold), & 2 new Roses (Blue Girl & Double Delight). I plan to buy more perennials to fill in my gardens this year.
My husband & I have an agreement. He doesn't tell me how much he spends on Golf & I don't tell him what I spend on my garden!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden

o

Gosh, I started gardening last year and I think I've spent around $1,200 in plants and bulbs for the backyard and the front. However, I think the most expensive one I've bought is a 4' red japanese maple from nurserytrees.com last monday for $56 (including S & H). I hope it's worth my money and my garden space. I had 3 plants in mind for the best spot in my front garden..

A variegated weigela that is in the back of the springhill catalog. I later found the same picture in several nurseries online, so I thought mine would never be as good as the only one being advertised online. And if I'd bought it from the catalog I'd have probably got a twig. Also,A Daphne Carol Mackie, but later I found that plant was poisonous for kids, so it was a no no. I have too many poisonous plants already.

By the way... have any of you seen mandevillas (any color) at the Chicago home depot? I loved those plants when I was living in Mexico and I think they'd be a great annual for my backyard.

o

$250.00 for Bartzella peony and worth every cent. It is an intersectional hybrid which is a cross between a tree peony and a herbaceous peony. It is Yellow w/ red flares. It has the coolest foliage and the blooms are awesome. The plant dies back to the ground and then comes up again in the spring. My peonies here in central Oregon are just now starting to poke their pretty red nubbins up. I just placed my 2004 peony order with Adelman Peony Gardens and Bartzella is now down to $185.00.

o

Margaret, you know me--get things from friends if at all possible-LOL! $29.00 for a kumquat and about the same for a Japansese Maple. $12.00 for a Fushia "firecracker" that I KNEW wouldn't grow well in our climate (and it didn't) but it was just soooo pretty I couldn't resist!

o

I sort of rate the cost of a plant by the plant size vs. plant cost. For my "small" plant I purchased a 3 gal. purple picotee double hellebore for $30. (that's cheap I'm told). As for the large... I was able to exchange 50 gallon cont. of Mentha long. "habeck" and equally as many Aegopodium variegatum for a 6' tall Acer pseudoplatanus 'Eskimo sunset.' I think that I got the better end of the deal! For most folks it would have been about $200.00 for the maple!

o

Oh Geez....Bought a Mexican Grass Tree for 72. + s&h
Kept it inside all winter and I think its dying......

o

• Posted by qbirdy z5 Central NY (My Page) on
    Fri, May 14, 04 at 21:39

Let me think, I have spent up to $20 for a little hosta in a 6" pot, a small fortune on various iris, $15 on a little azalea, $8 on a poker primrose, $25 on a rhodadendron I gave my mom (it died in a horrible tractor accident) If you count just a lump sum I spent easily over $300 on various annuals last year, and a few perrenials. The clearance bin is my friend! LOL! As for houseplants, I spent $13 on a rosary plant that was only 7 or 8 sad little sprigs but has grown like mad in the past year and is over 12' long, looped up on itself. Every cent has been worth it! well, maybe not the rhodadendron I gave mom, since dad killed it in no time flat....

o

I paid $49 for a Freya Climbing rose grown here in Alaska. Supposedly has no tip die back and can survive the winter in a pot!

o

I was chatting up the owner of a known cactus & succulent nursery here in the Bay Area a few months back.

He told me about ten years ago he spent $1,000.00 on a 6" seedling of an Aloe polyphylla!

YOWZA!

o

....and I thought the $25 each I paid for a Willaim Baffin and Henry Kelsey rose was outragous lol

o

It was $30 for rather large Wine-and-Roses weigela in Earl May nursery this Spring - I guess price you pay really depends on how bad you want the plant. I wish I waited a little, Home Depot had smaller ones for just $9...

I usually cheap out on plants, so all relatives are informed that the best Christmas gift they can send me is gift certificate to Burpee or Shrieners Gardens or bulb catalog, etc. My December 26 is a garden planning and plants ordering kind of day - enjoying the best gifts a nutty gardener can have! :):)

o

8 years ago, I got my first white champaca in 15gal container for $150, unfortunately, after one day expose to 100+ degree sunlight, all leafs drop and died in few days. Then I learned I need to plant it in the ground ASAP and find a spot with 1/2 day shade so it will have better and balance water and not burn their leafs, since then, I never have a dead champaca. I recently purchase 2 white champacas from Mimosa in whitter for $20, the plants about 2-4ft tall, I have them in the 5 gal pot 'cos I haven't find a good spot to plant them and LA is hot in the past few weeks. They both are blooming and growing and they seems very healthy. Beside the $150 champaca, I always purchase tropical fruit tree, the most recent one was purchase from www.tropicalfruittree.com in Vista, I went to their place and select a 15gal wax jambu and 15gal longan and they cost $85 each, much much better price the the local nursery in LA, even I am 10min from temple garden, I still willing to drive 1.5hr to goto vista to buy from them 'cos a similar size tree in LA will cost $200+, even a 5gal will cost about $100-150 in local nursery.

o

I spent $275 for a 8' Acer Palmatum 'Osakazuki' and would have paid a little more too!

o

I spent, this spring, $65.00 for three blue plumbagos. I didn't realize they were tropicals (because there is another type that comes back). I planted them, they looked great, but it annoyed me every time I thought about how they were not going to come back. Then it hit me. Where I planted them, it was only getting four hours of sun and the rest of the afternoon was shade. Plumbags need full sun. (It's a new flower border which I started (I have several already established) and I didn't realize the lack of actual full sun there). Anyway, I quickly brought them back, got my money back and bought three endless summer hydrangeas - They look great there and they will come back. Thank goodness for keeping receipts!

o

Several years ago, I bought a kousa dogwood that was about 18" tall and gave $28.00. My DGD thought it was a stick and broke it down at the ground. DS made her come in and tell me that she broke my plant but she was only four years old so what could I do but say that it was allright.

Trees can be replaced....Granddaughters are young only once.

o

This spring, I spent $34.99 for a small tree of Murraya Paniculata/Orange Jessamine or Lakeview Jasmine. I was lured by the scent and...and....and....well, you know. LOL I found the same in bush form at HD this past weekend for $20, in full bloom. Did I buy it? But, of course! I don't think I would spend more than $50 on any one plant, though.

GH

o

I'd say about 40 dollars--for a couple of different Japanese Maples ranging from 1 gallon to 5 gallon trees, about 40 dollars for a Musa basjoo that gave up the ghost this winter, about 40 dollars for a large Rhapis palm that got too big to drag back in the house after a couple of years, about 30 dollars a whack for peonies I craved, up to 20 dollars a bulb for antique tulips, up to about 30 dollars a plant for some perennials I just couldn't live without. Usually I try to stay under 20 dollars per perennial plant or shrub, though, and under 15 dollars per tender perennial/tropical/annual (in large pots).

o

Um... $30 for 3 Sarracenia at Portland Saturday Market, and that was 3 years ago.
I know, I know, doesn't seem like much but for a college student on food stamps thats a mint. It's all relative. Now paying $5 would seem like a ton of money - and I'd have to stay home all week because there goes my bus money :-p But hay, for the right plant it's worth it.

o

You guys must not be into Japanese maples. Many of them sell for hundreds of dollars at local nurseries where I live. The most I have paid was $110 for a nice-sized red dissectum (Garnet), which I considered a bargain for a 3' tall dwarf Japanese maple with nice form. I have paid only $15-20 for most of my JMs, bought as newly grafted or second year plants, but I don't mind watching them grow.

o

$75 a piece for 4 Alphonse Carr bamboos. If I'd know any better, I would have bought two and chopped them up. They have grown like gangbusters. I still want some black bamboo, the running kind, so I'd have to pot it. It's so beautiful and so expensive. Second would be my clivia for $30. Totally worth it if I can get it to keep blooming this year.

o

Normally won't spend more than $5-10 for a plant, but I HAD to have a 3 ft pony tail palm I saw at Walter Andersons...that was $40, plus I spent another $20 for the pot. I had it outside on the deck for a while and the leaves were all sunburnt/faded, so I brought it back in the house. They are very slow growers...but they look so cool. Like I have a water fountain in my bedroom.

o

The most expensive would have to be the palm my husband insisted on having even though we didn't have any window to put it in front of where it would get any light. It cost $22. Sadly, it passed away within 4 months due to light starvation. The second most expensive would be my Ming aralia at $17. Worth every penny! I water it about once a month and feed it maybe twice a year. Talk about drought tolerant! And it it growing and is healthy as ever. LOVE that plant.

o

This year's highest-price buy is Fargesia rufa 'Green Panda'. I saw it, I wanted it, I bought it. I paid $50. My REAL extravagance has to be tulips--I've paid up to $26 for ONE bulb from Old House Gardens. I think my tulips are definitely worth it.

o

You people need to learn the fine art of RATIONALIZATION!
So an amazing 6 foot, multi-stalked Black Bamboo from Monrovia (an awesome nursery somewhere in CA) might be $100. Look how long it took growers to get it to that size - probably a good five years. $20 a year isn't so bad.
And you've got this instant impact on your porch! Of course an amazing black bamboo requires an equally amazing (in this case) metallic-sheen square pot, possibly another $40...It's good to support the local garden store....
Oh well. We have said, only partly in jest, that we're spending our kids' inheritance on the gardens, but they'll gain SOMETHING from it. I guess.
They do give a good backdrop for pictures when my teenage daughters are taking pictures of each other for their MySpace pages!

o

Momofmany, I stopped rationalizing my expenditures because it takes time away from my shopping/planting/gardening time! I have to admit, though, that a single tulip bulb, probably about $20 for the bulb, is absolutely worth it this year: I have a double-flowered red tulip edged in bright yellow (antique variety--I'd have to go back to my databases and invoices to see what the name is). It's simply stunning. Now I know why Tulipomania got started in the Netherlands during the 17th century.

I wonder what I won't be able to live without this year...

Lisa

o

I guess I don't consider the expense too much if it lives. It becomes 'expensive' if it dies:

$35 each on 2 Mt. Fuji Cherry trees that were 7' tall each. Didn't last a full season. I think they'd just been pot-bound too long.

$159.99 on a 'lollipop' shaped boxwood last year. It was an impulse purchase. Too 'cute' to pass up.

It kills me to spend money on something that dies (or rots in my refridgerator.) Money down the toilet. Like I said, I'm still good with the $159 Lollipop tree.

o

I read what I wrote several years ago on this thread...how naive I was. I should have bought the small hinoki for 30 bucks at HD at the rate it has grown. And the most expensive plants to date have to be all those "ordinary" plants that I tossed to be replaced with "interesting" ones. (wheelbarrows full of stellas that I gave away) No liriope for me anymore and certainly no impatiens hanging baskets. Now its huge moss lined baskets with at least half a dozen intermingled plants. Not cheap!

Roses, iris, clematis (and ever heard of clematis wilt?= $$$) have replaced junipers, barberries and other boring plants.

o

Large and high impact trees and shrubs aside,
my most outrageous indulgence was probably Rohdea japonica 'Yattazu Yan Jaku'- a variegated Sacred Lily.

Oh, and I recently sent my mother a double flowering hellebore for Mother's Day. She has no clue as to the cost, but she WILL be getting some seed saving instructions soon.

o

What's the most expensive plant in the world?

o

Well, I've just "discovered" daylilies and topped my own perennial expense record with a couple of $50 selections. And I understand how you can pay $100 now. I encountered 'Primal Scream at the daylily farm and LOVED it! I also understand how you can pay 2 or 3 times that MUCH for a DL, but I REALLY don't want to go there!

o

Paid $80 for avacodo tree, my gardener forced me to get one. After a week he said I need another one if I want
fruit. This was 22 years ago.LOL....Sue

o

I paid $78 for a daylily--can't even remember the name now, but it was stunning. I saw it in catalogs at $150, so I got a bargan. --wonder what it $$ now? If I could only remember the name.

But alas, being a novice day lily grower, I planted it and a few others that I bought, in spot where they got Utah's Hot, dry, summer sun--all day; then being in the open, sub-zero on winter nights.

If I had put them in good soil (which I don't have), against something that keeps off the western sun; then maybe I'd still have it and the other top, named varieties.

It was some sort of irridesant pink color, with many blooms or you could let it put all it's energy into one, giant blooms==what a flower.

o

Have to check in on this one. Silver Lace Vine. Fifty dollars. It was a good size plant that did well for the latter half of the season after I bought it. Sadly we had a very cold winter that year and I left it in a planter for the cold season. It died and DH has been a bit suspect of spending that much on another plant ever since.

But I'm always on the lookout for another one.

Kate

o

gemmayardley

I don't know about the most expensive plant but the most expensive seed is for the coco de mer/double coconut AKA Lodoicea maldivica. Last I heard, if you could get one to purchase, it would be several hundred dollars for it.

o

50.00 for a silver lace vine???? I bought two for ten dollars yesterday :) The most expensive plants I've bought to date are the five endless summer hydrengeas (29.95) that are going in the front of my house with the bazillion little boxwood that go in front of them.

o

Question re: coco de mer (Trini1's post above)

I recently viewed a NOVA program (first aired in 2000) on PBS about island biospheres and the coco de mer was one of the palm trees included. I fell in love with this unusual palm tree so have been performing hours of internet research trying to learn if and where seeds can be purchased. The coco de mer only grows in one grove on one small island 1000 miles from anywhere between Africa and Madagascar--and is protected by UNESCO/World Heritage. The extraordinary coco de mer holds the record for the largest leaf and the biggest seed in the entire plant kingdom.

I hoped, after reading your post, that you may have information I have not been able to find. If you do, I'd appreciate your sharing it. I would like to learn more about them. (The link below is to a transcript of that program if anyone else would like to learn more about the coco de mer palm.)

My most expensive plant purchase was an ornamental cherry tree (Lowe's, 1990, $39.95 for a 6-foot tree) which was the very first plant/tree purchased after we bought our home almost 17 years ago. That cherry tree did not last its first year. In the long run, it was a blessing since I acquired my beloved horses two years later. Cherry trees produce arsenic which would have been death to a horse that was foolish enough to eat the bark or leaves--and they will. I have Houdini horses that can open gate latches, climb over and through fences--and sometimes just seem to "beam" themselves to places they should not be.

Losing that tree did not hurt anywhere close to the pain of losing one of my four-legged babies.

ps: I am disabled, facing multiple spinal surgeries in the near future--but am planning my yard/garden projects (deck, patio, walkways, etc.) for a much anticipated "enabled" spring 2007. I've just joined this forum and look forward to all the experience and knowledge sharing.

Cat

Here is a link that might be useful: NOVA/PBS transcripts re: coco de mer palm

o

Hubby bought me a 6' tall Butia palm with a massive root system six years ago and it is now 12' tall or taller. That was 75.00 (yes, I know, a great deal!) And I bought a large corm of Alocasia 'Borneo Giant' three years ago for 65.00. It was well worth it as I now have four huge ones and more growing all the time.

Now I am on the hunt for a Podophilium Pleianthum (Chinese May Apple) if anyone knows a source...please email me as I would be forever greatful!

o

I have enjoyed perusing the extravagant purchases of my fellow gardeners. I have to admit that I am very greatful to have not acquired the daylilly, tulip or peony-mania I have been reading about. (I really don't mind my stella's!) As a young gardener on a very strained budget my choices are somewhat limited. The most expensive plant purchased to date was a very nice 6ft tall weeping blue atlas cedar with branches hanging as far down as its 10 gallon container. I thought it was a very good deal at 80 dollars. This was an extravagant purchase for me, but my addiction doesn't stop at the plant itself. I have been known to spend 200 dollars in a weekend on decorative planters and containers. It's a curse, but a necessary evil for those of us who rent and love to garden, but can't bear to part with our beloved plants.

---Keith

o

I'm with you, Keith, on the containers! (Re my $40 square pot for the $100 black bamboo mentioned above, May '06). My husband was with me on the bamboo...I bought first and told later on the pot.) Last month my local SC friend had to go back home to NY for a family funeral. When her mom was marveling at the ceramic container I'd requested when I wired them a little plant garden, my friend laughed and said, "Oh, yeah. Judith's not just a plant freak, she's also a plant CONTAINER snob!"
We're in the same zone. I could mail you some free seeds! My friend grows her
7-ft. swamp hisbiscus in containers every summer!

o

I bought a $35 Spath. Went to WalMart a few days later and found the same plant (smaller though) and cost $13.46.

I must say I love the size and form of the larger one.

I was considering buying a Bird of Paradise for $170. What a beauty! But I decided to grow it from scratch, costing $1.95 for 10 seeds. I live in an apartment so im on no rush.

I try to save $$ by buying small plants. And i root cutting for fun.

o

Wow people! My most expencive plant was close to $20. I spend more on garden architectural details, like statue, birdhouses, benches, arbor, bricking and making the flower beds, patio firniture. We bought this house as almost new with "naked" lot, just few standard tees around, and grass, grass, grass.

o

Last spring I paid $56 for an 'Ogdon' dawn redwood. Then in the fall my 2-year-old "pruned" it. LOL ie. broke it in half.
A 12" stump was what was left. This spring it is sending out tiny leaves.:)

o

I paid $5.00 for an Orinoco banana plant, and $20.00 to ship it!

o

Hmmm. Most palms from New Zealand are worth it if I have the perfect greenhouse conditions. They're REALLY expensive if I have to replace them... sigh.

o

Sheesh, I spend @ $350 per year for annuals alone! My garden came pre-planted with tons of perennials, when we bought it 5 years ago. I've just recently started dividing, replanting, and changing things. I haven't spent too much one perennials, etc. However, we're planning on making a major flowering tree purchase this year, so we'll see.

My parents spent a coupla hundred bucks on a corkscrew willow tree, that was so pretty! It was prettiest in winter, when coated with ice. It lasted @ 10 years, and then died. My dad also spent a heft amount for a supposedly pink dogwood, only to find, when it finally bloomed, that it was a regular white one.

o

Quite the range here for what people spend on their plants! For me, gardening is one of few splurges. For the past 4 years, I've spent at least $4-500 a year on plants each year, not to mention yard/gardening supplies. One year I spent $450 on 8 good-sized Arborvitae alone.

A few years ago when I started the gardens here, I had to have Ornamental grasses. Went out and spent $135 on 5 ornamental grasses in large pots, including two Miscanthus 'Adagio' that were $30 each. They were gorgeous that first year. The next Spring, they were dead as a door nail. Apparently, they aren't hardy to zone 5...(at least the other 3 grasses have thrived)

Last April, I decided the weird old Burning Bush in the front garden had to go and wanted a Serviceberry (Amelanchier) instead. Native, pretty flowers, delicious blue berries, nice fall color. This was a very prominent location, I wanted a good-sized tree, and wanted it before it flowered. Spent $125 for a 6-foot specimen in a 15 gallon pot! Could have probably spent a lot less but I had to have it and it's a beauty...

This year, I ordered 10 Serviceberry seedlings for $10. I'm also winter-sowing. Seeds and seedlings are a lot less expensive! :)

o

About a week ago I spent $150 on a 4' specimen of Henry Lauder's Walking Stick.

o

I paid $25 for a Crystal Fountain clematis which shocked me as I tended to be thrifty. I have always loved gardening, but when younger and raising kids, I got by on the cheap with people donating what they had too much of and clippings from the neighbors yards. I still have many, many of those plants, but the clematis is still wonderful. It will be moved to its permanent home soon.

o

My most expensive was a $68 Weeping Cherry tree-which the dog ate 3 months later...so technically I guess it was a $68 lesson on dog proofing my backyard. Hard lesson to learn, that one!

o

I love ya'll! Thank you for keeping my nursery in business!

o

Fruit trees, but I really, really wanted them and I figure I'll make the money back quickly if I can one good season.

o

nearly 300 big ones for 2 evergreen pale yellow rhodies that I lost in the heat of summer and the wet of fall...north central NJ is harsh and has lousy drainage...looking to buy swamp azaleas for this part of the garden or maybe some kinda hardy viburnum.. b/w deer and clay I miss LI gardening.

o

I bought a black bamboo..paid 125.00!! It is beautiful and thriving (contained of course) and we use the canes for various projects.

o

$90 a piece for 4 weeping cherry trees :P but I could not find them anywhere else, so I gritted my teeth & paid the man lol

o

There are many bonsai trees bought/sold for prices in excess of one million dollars. In other countries, patrons purchase the trees as investments and entrust them to the care of their favorite (bonsai) master. It's very common for the trees winning their category at bonsai shows in Europe & Asia, especially Asia, to never have been touched (worked on) by the owner - only the master or perhaps one of his favored apprentices, depending on the value of the tree.

o

yes you are right i also I've paid was for a Lycaste virinalis. It was in bloom at the time, and although I had one already I simply couldn't let it get away from me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cement Testing In Delhi

o

$125 for a thumb sized division of a Miss Lily Pons water lily the year they debuted. Raccoon walked my pots to that one, chewed it up and left it float. Three days after I planted it. I replanted it, raccoon came back two days later and did it again. Came in for ICU in the living room in a huge sterilite container and didn't make it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Favorites Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here