Return to the Favorites Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who is your gardening hero?????

Posted by flowersandthings MidAtlantic 6/7 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 16, 04 at 21:35

Who is your gardening hero???? I would have to say that one of mine is Thomas Jefferson..... of course a keen and successful gardener.... one who was also always curious always willing to discover new things..... and of course made good use of native plants..... :) Who is your gardening hero?????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who is your gardening hero?????

Ruth Stout

o

Wow. Sorry Flowersandthings, I think I killed your thread. I thought this was going to be a great thread. Where is everybody??

Ruth Stout is my fav, because she was so relaxed about her gardening. And she was a great proponent of no-till. Gardening from the couch I lie on. Now that's a philosophy.

But Thomas Jefferson is great, too. I bought the published edition of his garden journal when we went to Monticello. A good read. It inspired me to start my own garden journal. And the home he designed is beautiful.

o

I guess this topic was covered already. I'll have to read thru the other thread. :-(

o

My mom. She held down a full time job raised four kids and still found time to balance all that with beautiful gardens.

o

Constance Spry.

She was sort-of the "Martha Stewart" of her (pre-WWII)generation.

She was active in garden clubs, she was an avant-garde floral arranger, & she even created the menu for Queen Elizabeth's coronation, including Coronation Chicken.
There's still, I think, a Constance Spry Cooking School in London.

But the thing that endears her to my heart is the thing that made David Austin name the first English rose for her:

During the Battle of Britain, when families sent their children away from London for safety, & people never knew if they'd be alive from one day to the next,
Constance Spry collected cuttings from many of England's historic old roses, to safeguard & preserve them for coming generations (us!).

o

Lorrie Otto

Here is a link that might be useful: lorrie otto

o
RE: thought of another 'garden hero'

Lady Bird Johnson

She accomplished a lot with her highway beautification program,
so much that we don't even realize how unsightly the roads once were!

And now we have the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin, which does research & education, & even sells seeds & plants,
encouraging people to use our beautiful Texas native flowers as well as other hardy (which in Texas means *heat* tolerant) cultivars.

My favorite Lady Bird story, & please excuse my fuzzy memory if I don't get all the details correct, is about the time she was on a trip down a highway.
She saw a farmer plowing up his field:
acres & acres of buttercups were going under the discs!

She had her driver stop the car, & she got out, walked over, & hailed the farmer.

Unable to convince him that he'd be better off with buttercups than with alfalfa or whatever he had in mind for the field, she *leased the field* from him for the remainder of the season!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Favorites Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here