Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Favorite / funniest mistake?

You've done something in the past that was hilarious and dumb. Fess up!

About 10 yrs ago, I invited my daughter to buy some veggie seeds for our garden. I didn't look at the packages very closely, just let her do her thing. Months later, we had the most beautiful watermelon growing but it was so small and round. About a month after it stopped getting bigger, I couldn't stand the curiosity anymore, picked it and cut it open. I was so disappointed to see that it "wasn't ripe yet" and was puzzled that the inside would be a peachy-orange instead of white-turning-pink, and no seeds were starting to form yet. I threw it on the compost pile and daughter and I vowed to "do better" the next year.

When spring came, we were shopping for seeds again and she said, "Hey look - they have the same watermelon seeds." How dumb did I feel looking at the package of seeds. The vines are SUPPOSED to make little round seedless melons with orangish/yellow fruit inside. I'd probably thrown away the best melon to ever come from our garden. Doh!

Another time I bought an evergreen tree and planted it so that when it grew up, it would block the view from my back door straight into the neighbor's back door. It was at the farthest part of my yard from the house and I couldn't even see it unless I walked toward it into the yard. A year went by and I noticed the tree hadn't grown at all. Luckily I had planted it with the tag which which I could still read. Upon more careful reading, I realized the tree was supposed to be 12-15" NOT 12-15'. It was an already fully grown dwarf specimen.

Comments (11)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

I have several large maple trees in my yard. Last year, I found a maple seedling. I lovingly scooped it up, potted it up, nurtured it and gave it lots of tender care. A month or so later, I figured out that it was Virginia Creeper.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL! Thanks for the chuckle.

I thought of another. About 17 years ago, this really cool plant came up in the backyard of a townhouse I was renting. I watered it when it wilted a couple times, and staked up part that started leaning. My neighbors and I were in awe of the beautiful berries. Then I realized it was pokeweed! There was no room to dig where it was, so that's how I learned that boiling water will kill it.

I started this thread hoping to get more action on this forum, and I've started several discussions on other forums of a similar subject but it seems people are very reluctant to admit mistakes. These discussions are usually contributed to very sparsely.

• usha_srinivasan
    11 years ago

Ok here is my story....

I spent the first spring after we moved into our house trying to yank out these "weedy trees" that were all over our front yard. No success and since I did not want to use a weedicide, I put it on my todo list and moved on.

A year later, same story.

Finally after a couple of years of getting extremely frustrated as I was unable to pull out a single weed tree, one spring they all bloomed and I finally figured out they were - Redbuds!

I now have 14 redbuds the last I counted and they have been blooming every spring for the past 10-11 years and I love every single one of them. Thank goodness I was unable to yank out a single one.

Hope you get a chuckle out of this one.

Usha

Original Author
    11 years ago

That IS funny! Thanks for sharing!

Here's the dumb thing I did this year. I scattered a bunch of Zinnia seeds in one area, then completely forgot about doing that. That weekend, I asked honey to dump the lawnmower bag in that same spot. Then I started moving the clippings around, and even threw a couple scoops into some potting soil I was mixing. Fast-forward a couple more weeks... there were Zinnias sprouting in some of my recently repotted house plants. I left one of them alone, so now I have a pot with a little jade plant about 6" tall, and a Zinnia that's about 3 ft. tall. Both plants are doing well, but it's pretty funny-looking!

• LullabyF360
    11 years ago

I'm not so sure if these are funny, but being as I was literally just starting out (the ultimate noob! Lol), the cheapest route I could take for starting my garden at the time was purchasing seeds. I tried growing zinnias, peonies, cacti, columbines, Bolivian rainbow peppers, baobab tree, joshua tree, sweet peas, mondo grass, white datura, purple datura, dragon fruit, ying yang beans, & these are just ones that immediately come to mind. Out of all of these thing I tried growing, only one plant survived to maturity. That was a ying yang bean. Even then, it only produced one pod (with ONE bean inside) before it, too, keeled over. The rest never made it into their second week. The majority of these seeds are now up for trade.I am having better luck this year, except for the Bolivian rainbow peppers. They still do not want to give me the gratification of living : /

• morningloree
    11 years ago

I order all these plants from far away places: Madagascar, South Africa, and Canary Islands just to name a few, thinking that the ordinary Florida deer should not be familiar with them and perhaps won't eat them. Wrong, they think my yard is an international buffet. Once they ate the middle out of a bush, leaving a very bushy top and bottom. During mating season, a buck took out a banana tree and drug it around the yard. I have no idea what the banana tree did to the deer! I guess my big mistake is underestimating Bambi and crew.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

see link

Here is a link that might be useful: Oops...

• booberry85
    10 years ago

My big oops: Against the wisdom of many previous gardeners, I planted mint in the vegetable garden. It has been 8 years and I'm still trying to eradicate it.

Original Author
    10 years ago

These are good!

Here's my latest bonehead move - planting Cannas in a bed with nothing restricting them from invading other plants, like a Gardenia and jasmine shrub. In the process of making a new bed just for them, in the middle of mowed grass, by smothering a patch of grass. Doh!

• pinksand
    10 years ago

One year my mother in law gave me a clipping of clematis and told me to stick it in the ground and give it lots of water. I watered that thing daily and I swear I could see it moving it grew so fast! It was extremely healthy and full and finally it bloomed, but instead of the large purple flowers I expected I had little white flowers that turned yellow and smelled unmistakably like honeysuckle! Needless to say I spent the rest of the summer trying to kill the baby plant I had so lovingly nurtured.

• pinksand
    10 years ago

One year my mother in law gave me a clipping of clematis and told me to stick it in the ground and give it lots of water. I watered that thing daily and I swear I could see it moving it grew so fast! It was extremely healthy and full and finally it bloomed, but instead of the large purple flowers I expected I had little white flowers that turned yellow and smelled unmistakably like honeysuckle! Needless to say I spent the rest of the summer trying to kill the baby plant I had so lovingly nurtured.

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions