Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galileo_gw

Favorite house plant potting soil?

galileo
21 years ago

Just posted a question in the Houseplants forum and thought I'd try here as well--can you recommend a good potting soil for houseplants?

Comments (10)

• Nigella
    21 years ago

Love your screen name! The best advice I can offer is to go to a small, indepentent nursery in your area and get what they recommend. They will know what conditions you are likely to encounter for you location. Of course, take a look at their plants first, lol, cause if their plants look straggly, the advice won't be worth much.

• minkus
    21 years ago

I have been using Peter's Professional and Peter's Houseplant--they seem to be the best of what is available at chain home improvement stores (cheaper than the garden centers by quite a bit). My only problem stems from the large amount of peat in these mixes--peat is hardly a renewable resource, and it holds more water than I need for most of my plants indoors so I have to mix it with other things for better drainage.

• eleanor_rigby
    21 years ago

Metro 360 by Scotts. I buy it at a local garden center. They have big greenhouses, start all their own bedding plants, and use nothing else. I use it for everything, and when I finally empty a pot the old soil goes into the garden.

Eleanor

• galileo
    Original Author
    21 years ago

I'm going to look for the Metro 360. I bought some sand to mix with my other potting soil but haven't had time to mix; would prefer something all done for me. Thanks for advice.

• gmatx zone 6
    21 years ago

Try Sunshine #2 mix. Don't know if it is available except commercially.

• wbussom
    21 years ago

My favorite house plant potting soil is not soil at all, but Premier Pro-Mix, a soiless peat/perlite mixture. I buy a big bunch of it every year and use it almost exclusively for both indoor and outdoor containers. Love it.

• Tourmaline3
    21 years ago

I use Sunshine Mix #4, which has more bark with a coarse texture and sharp drainage. If I want to use a finer mix, I just sift it through varying sizes of screen.

• xxbrandixx64
    11 years ago

My opinion is Miracle grows 'potting mix', its already got your fertilizer in it and its good for all different types of plants. It also has some perlite in it and its not badly priced for how good it is. I just ordered some more of it for my new plants. Its great! Any site ive been too has plenty of good reviews for miracle grow and usually has a good star point average! Hope that helps! :)

• xxbrandixx64
    11 years ago

My opinion is Miracle grows 'potting mix', its already got your fertilizer in it and its good for all different types of plants. It also has some perlite in it and its not badly priced for how good it is. I just ordered some more of it for my new plants. Its great! Any site ive been too has plenty of good reviews for miracle grow and usually has a good star point average! Hope that helps! :)

• liz2525
    10 years ago

Wow,
    Hmmmm, which of these have the best drainage. It seems I tend to over water some of my plants. I do chop up some bark and ad it to any mix I purchase. Where can I find Sunshine soils? This is a great forum for us purple thumbed gardeners. I mostly concentrate on my indoor plants.
    Thanks, Liz