Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprout_wi

Favorite Garden Meal

sprout_wi
20 years ago

beckyishere told how her daughters liked to make meals totally from things grown in their garden. What are your favorite meals/dishes made fresh from the garden? Thanks-

-Sprout

Comments (12)

• jakkom
    20 years ago

home-grown tomatoes and fresh mozzarella, topped with a sprinkling of lemon pepper, virgin olive oil, and basil from the garden. True summer bliss!

This salad converted my husband into a tomato lover -- he'd only grown up with grocery store tomatoes and regarded them with indifference. We're starting to see the end of our tomatoes now and know we won't get any more good tomatoes even from the farmers markets, until late May next year.

• SwtMary
    20 years ago

Salt & pepper, sharp paring knife & a garden hose. Eat whatever is ready right out in the garden, radishes, green onions, peas fresh from the pod, green peppers, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes still warm from the sun.... Wow best summer childhood memory!
    Mary K

• newontarionian
    20 years ago

this summer's colorful and yummy salad recipe: tomatoes, corn, green peppers in olive oil, any nice vinegar, dijon mustard, tarragon leaves (chrushed in my palm) mixed until creamy .. then add grated romano cheese .. i can tell you that everyone that came visiting had some (since we ate it daily!!!) and now everyone is making it at their houses!

enjoy
    :-)

• ankraras
    20 years ago

I snack on mine all day long rather then as a meal. Spring rolls filled with bean sprouts and fresh carrots.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• Leslie2
    20 years ago

Homemade salsa....fresh tomatoes, hot peppers, onions, cilantro.

• mrsflowers
    20 years ago

I make a pizza with no crust:
    Slice tomatoes thickly and put in the bottom of large baking dish. Cover with seasoned bread crumbs and drizzle oil.
    Bake at 350 for about 15 min.
    Sprinkle some grated mozzerella cheese and put pepperoni on top and put back in the oven to broil.
    This is a great way to use up the last of your tomatoe crop.

Lilly

• pdxjules
    19 years ago

I have a fav routine, making use of current ripe goods..

One morning, all the fresh Poke, Onion or Garlic Greens I can get nestled inside an omlette, maybe with Sheep Feta (as high in Omega 3 fats as salmon and tuna)...

with diced sauteed new potatoes, onion, garlic on the side. Lots of Fresh oregano, marjoram, parmesian or chives go over everything.

Next morning or for brunch, a stir fry of everthything I can find, including tender yellow squash & or zuchini, garlic, tomatoes, amaranth greens, mint, with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh cracked pepper, and a couple eggs go in at the last with more herbs. Cheese optional - no need to smother all that flavor!

Another day I might feature any mild pepper in the spuds or hot peppers in the stir fry. Anything sauteed with fresh tomatoes is elegant, IMO.

Any leftover food gets dumped into a soft tortillia for later, or added with deglazed pan liquid into an ongoing veggi stewpot, or that gets used as stock liquid in the day's rice, lentils or other base bean, bread, or pasta item I might be cooking. Deglazing and using leftover chunks adds instant flavor to your base complex carb staple or soup - and all you need to do is add the main featured veggie, and season to taste, for the next fast meal. Any leftovers go in the freezer.

Currently, I have a glut of blackberries, so those fresh with yogurt is a great morning or evening snack - excellent with granola/nuts added. I used to have figs available - they are also a great morning nosh.

The perfect mid-afternoon snack on a hot day - is a cool Lemon Cucumber! However I give most of mine away - as many people still haven't tried them.

I guess I can't really pick a favorite meal - I discover that each day as I wander thru the garden. A favorite 2-day garden menu is easy to outline, as I tend to get into patterns. Of course I didn't mention the Salads -- or homemade apple butter, chunky applesauce, or zippy fruit syrups.

When i get tired of a flavor (zuchinni) I know it is time to shift to spicy Thai or Chinese cooking using most of the same ingredients, and to invite friends to lunch so there are not so many leftovers. YUM!

Yahoo for summer harvest season!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    19 years ago

Oven fried okra, sliced tomatoes with balsamic vinagrette and mozzarella, grilled summer squash, any asparagus, and georgia peaches. I have not had a great peach that wasn't from GA.

Fresh, stone ground grits, grilled corn, blueberry cobbler.

Fresh vidallias and cukes, sourwood honey...

• flowersandthings
    19 years ago

Tomato sandwich hmmmmm......
    Recipe for savory one:
    Some fresh sliced vidalia onions and a spicy tomato like a black tomato.... a hearty bread like pumperknickel or rye or homemade white or thinly sliced italian..... Spread with salted butter or mustard...... sprinkle with salt and pepper.... hmmmm
    Sweet tomato sandwich....
    Use one of your sweeter tomatos like german...... PUt on lighter bread like homemade white challah or brioche.... spread with salted or unsalted butter..... Enjoy...... :)
    Also stewed zucchini and tomatos
    And fried and battered squach and zucchini (summer squash)
    Mozzarella tomato and basil salad with oil and vinegar (fresh mozzarella) you can also add pastoa and proscutto......
    Sorrel soup..... hmmmmm for winter.... :)

• october17
    19 years ago

brushetta on garlic toast

• sunburygirl
    19 years ago

Fresh tomatoes and buttered corn with cottage cheese and lots of pepper and salt. Yummy!

• digit
    19 years ago

I haven't posted in months and was so tired from the growing, harvesting, and clean-up. But, I saw this forum and just knew it was the best place to begin. You've all made wonderful suggestions.

A simple garden meal is the one for me . . . sliced cucumbers, sweet onions, and tomatoes in a little vinegar and sprinkled with black pepper; green beans and corn on-the-cob with a little butter on each; potatoes, boiled then cooled, sliced, and skillet fried in a little oil until golden; and for dessert - a slice of ripe, sweet cantaloupe still warm from the sun!

For me, I just don't think it can get any better than that!

Digit

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional