Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhonda_tn2

Favorite mint plant

Rhonda - TN
24 years ago

I am starting a mint collection and I would like to know what kinds of mint there is out there. I grew up in a family that cusred the lone mint plant growing in the yard. Now I find that people acually like mint. I find that I like the citrus scented mints the best.

So, here's the question, what's your favorite kind of mint and why?

Comments (14)

• Chris - 6
    24 years ago

I like the strong, minty mints best. The cultivars such as "Black Peppermint" and "Chocolate peppermint". My least favorite are the ones which have a lot of perfume in the smell. For looks, the variegated cultivars are extremely beautiful.

• amber - 6
    24 years ago

i'm predisposed toward native mints. i love blue curls (trichostema dichotomum) and monardas. blue curls because of the wonderful flowers, and because of the longevity of their scent; monardas for the flowers and their pungency.

• Hermann Rachlinger
    23 years ago

I dont understand English but I hope you can understand me.I collect mint ( Mentha ) in Austria. I like all my 100 mints.

• adriana AL
    23 years ago

Gold and Esmerald mint is pretty and so is Pineaple Mint, a variegated variety. Chocolate is a good all-purpose mint.

Hermann, hw do you keep the mints from crossing?

• sherri 6
    22 years ago

Mmmmm-catmint! Smells great, looks beautiful!

• Dianna_in_WA
    21 years ago

Corsican Mint! I love it as a ground cover and between stepping stones in shady areas. It gives me a lift any time I brush my hands over it and sniff. Also has tiny little blooms that are so pretty.

Dianna

• Nancy5050
    21 years ago

MAYBEchocolate mint

• Violet_Girl
    20 years ago

I want as many as I can get. I like my spearmint most, I think.

• jakkom
    20 years ago

My favorite mint plant is one carefully confined to a pot, LOL!

I like pineapple mint the best -- so far. Some of the ones mentioned above I haven't tried so will have to run out and find some...

• alison
    20 years ago

Mmmm....chocolate mint....ginger mint....Rpbert Mitchum peppermint...spearmint....

I've got them all over in different spots in the yard. But my favorite is prbably the big, gangly, scraggly looking apple mint. I can't get enough of that smell!

• MeMyselfAndI
    20 years ago

I LOVE chocolate mint and I tried to start some plugs in my lawn once because I thought it would smell WONDERFUL when I mowed, but a dry spell killed the plugs. I always heard about mints being so invasive, and I know spearmint sure is!! So it never occurred to me to check on it while the grass was still green. I think I'll try again with cuttings of this year's plant.

• tallohiofarmboy
    15 years ago

I recently found a recipe for mint sherbet floating around on the internet. So, I picked the young leaves from some Korean Mint I have growing in a pot and made a batch.

Let me tell you; it's amazingly good!! Even people who don't like mint went crazy for this sherbet! Maybe it's so good because it's so hot outside, or, maybe the eggwhites keep it light and airy compared to heavier icecream. I don't know, but now I'm wondering if other varietal mint plants would work even better for this recipe. I'm interested in trying applemint, but understand that it doesn't taste like it smells (it's said to taste like Wintergreen).

What about other mints like the orange mint, lemon mint, pineapple mint, chocolate mint... or would regular spearmint work well for this sherbet? Anyone experienced with the actual flavors of different mint varieties?

Thanks,

Mark.

• helenh
    15 years ago

I haven't tried a lot of mints but I like apple mint for the minty smell with no harshness. I like cat mint and red monarda for appearance.

• beegood_gw
    15 years ago

My favourite mint grows wild in my pasture in a low damp spot.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH