Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gibsongirl_gw

Your most disappointing plant purchase?

GibsonGirl
20 years ago

Is it okay to post a "what was your LEAST favorite" poll? :-) Just wondering which plant (or shrub or tree) was the one that disappointed you the most after purchase?

My biggest disappointment was Viburnum bodnantense 'Dawn'. You know how all those British gardening books rave about its "fragrant winter flowers", right? At one time I had a waterfront zone 7 garden and I actually was able to overwinter things like Eucalyptus perriniana outside, if they were sited in just the right place and if the winter wasn't really horrid. I even had Iris unguicularis give me TWO FLOWERS one February in a really protected spot. So I figured, hey, a winter-blooming viburnum should be no problem, right? And I believe it was either White Flower Farm or Wayside Gardens (forget which.. it was one of the overpriced glossies, before I got smart and started ordering from the smaller nurseries with more unusual plants and less overhead!) actually had 'Dawn' in their catalog, complete with fantastic in-bloom photo and the old "winter blooming" hype. So I ordered it. In the ten following years that I still lived in that house, 'Dawn' never had more than a half-dozen anemic-looking washed-out-pink flowers... in APRIL!!! April?? Since when is April "winter" (well, outside of the Snow Belt)? My heathers were over and done with by the time 'Dawn' even attempted to wake up. When I complained to the nursery a couple of years down the road, they responded by saying that "The flowering time for this shrub depends on your USDA Zone and it may not bloom during the colder months." Don't know if they are still selling it as a winter-flowering shrub but it sure didn't live up to its press releases!

Comments (17)

• Nigella
    20 years ago

It's so disappointing when the plants don't work out, isn't it? My own biggest disappointment was Confederate rose, Hibiscus mutabilis. It was an awful experience, lots of bugs and few blooms, those that did bloom were ragged from the bugs. NEVER again.

• Gran_NH_5
    20 years ago

Some mail order place, can't remember which one right off the top of my head.
    I ordered 20 "Stargazer" lillies. (Dark pink, heavily scented)

But recieved lillies that were extremely pale pink and had no scent at all. To late to do anyting about it almost a year later when they flowered.

• jakkom
    20 years ago

I have a beautiful linaria purpurea that blooms almost year-round, but one of the most common linarias, Linaria maroccana, just dies on me every time. It's so pretty, and is sold in six-paks here so somebody must be able to grow it! But every time I plant them, they slowly drop all their delicate little blossoms and wither away.

Delphiniums always disappoint me too. They bloom for a little while and then disappear, too warm here in winter for them to come back.

But my biggest disappointment was the yellow callas. Beautiful, white-spotted leaves shot up, looked wonderful for a while, but no blooms ever formed, and a serious aphid attack left them looking a disgusting mess. Ugh!

• padraig_1
    20 years ago

Sedum "Autumn Joy". Couldn't live without the stuff, not realizing that this area has too much rainfall for them. They come up in early Spring,are fresh and green and look great for about a month or so then, when the monsoons come, they wilt and wither and fall apart. I overplant the bed with annuals, then wait til the next brief season of respectable appearance.

• ankraras
    20 years ago

Maple..Maple... and more Maple. All fail to thrive in our climate zone due to our short winter duration and extreme heat during the summer.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• SnowOwlMoon
    20 years ago

For me, it was the Black-Eyed Stella daylilies. Very few small, pale-yellow blooms. Very blah. I may move the plants and see if they do better elsewhere, but somehow, I think that's as good as they get.

Another disappointment was the "Jean Davis" lavender. I don't like the bleached lavender flowers. They blend in with the gray foliage, and you can't see the darn things!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    20 years ago

Roses. I've planted all the fail proof ones and they still look naked by autumn. They may still be blooming, but the're ugly.

• ReddKatt
    20 years ago

My roses have been the most disappointing in my garden. I spent almost $100 last year putting in J&P roses, ony to have them die. The cheapo roses from local HDs or garden centers have gone strong, but not the J&P roses! I only have one of 5 left. I was sick. AND to make it worse, J&P will not back up their roses even 2 months after. No more J&P for me unless I can get cuttings. :(

• sowngrow (8a)
    20 years ago

Roses here too. I'm tired of fighting the diseases.

• xanadu
    20 years ago

I bought 20 mixed crinum bulbs on e-bay at a price I could actually afford (crinums are not cheap). Well, you get what you pay for--they are virused and I have to throw them out. Wasted money, wasted time. Wish I still had the seller's name now, a year later.

• rross
    20 years ago

Sweet William. In over a year it hasn't even thought of blooming. The plants are green and lush, but I bought it for the flowers!

• jtmacc99
    20 years ago

Some beautiful black, double flowered tulips.

They came up just fine, but just about when they were about to open, the deer ate every single blossom one morning.

Very disappointing...

• karinz21
    20 years ago

Hollyhocks, darn it. I can't get them to grow and blossom. Same with sweet violets.

• lilpanda
    18 years ago

Dahlias

• janroze
    18 years ago

I can relate to a lot that are already named, but my BIGGEST and most expensive disappointment was my "Endless Summer" hydrangea. I planted it in spring of "04, it diddled around with a few drooping but beautiful blooms - even if you almost had to lie on the ground to see them. I followed the extensive directions to a T. This spring - deader than a doornail. Now, after being told how hardy it was last year, they are saying it needs a foot of mulch - imagine a foot of mulch and nothing was even mentioned about winter protection. They only said it was hardy in our zone. So much for a bunch a daylilies or hostas I could have had.
    jan

• Darael
    18 years ago

All the stuff I ever bout from the Michigan Bulb Com... were very disappointing. All the fruit trees..I don't even want to think about it. The only plants that survive now are some gladiolus bulbs (and these were free).

• bugerbare20
    18 years ago

the most dissappointing purchase was 2 this year and last from the same nursery. last year i got a string of pearls and it did great the first 4 weeks and then all of a sudden it died i could not do anything. so this year i went back and got a string of banaans from the same women well i had dejavu because it did the same exact thing and i called her for help well all she said was sorry can't helpo you, i purchase now at a different one.

Sponsored