Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brokenhead_gw

Favourite Sprinkler

Brokenhead
21 years ago

Do you have a favourite sprinkler? I love to watch the sprinklers going and always wish for a really great sprinkler. This year, because they were on sale really cheap, I bought a fancy 3 foot high copper one. Well it does look beautiful and the spray is wonderfully picturesque but it is so flimsy! I accidently bent it the minute I tried to put it in the ground. No way can I move that thing around the yard for fear of destroying it completely. I had a really great old sprinkler that turned fairly slow producing a beautiful arcing spray but it's on its last legs and I don't know how I'm going to find another like it. Anyone else have a great sprinkler?

Comments (7)

• butterbeanbaby
    21 years ago

I bought one of those copper ones a few years ago and I hate it. Darn thing doesn't spin and I can't for the life of me get it to stop leaking! Think I'll turn it into a trellis LOL.

I like the old metal ones, *S* shaped with lots of holes along the top and sitting on a metal base. They go round and round. Fond childhood memories.

Holly

• Brokenhead
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Oh yeah, my copper one really leaks too. Surely someone somewhere has invented a terrific sprinkler.

• Bill_zone6
    21 years ago

I bought a copper (tubing) sprinkler at Walmart this summer for about $13.00. The first thing I did after I noticed it didn't spray out far enough was to cut off the turning, round head and replace it with a adjustable 'knocker' head. With this new head 4' in the air, it is no trouble watering all the plants in the garden. I am not concerned with diseases; getting enough water to the plants in time of drought is more of a concern. I have been looking for something to water from above, and this works quite well for about $20.00.

• pondwelr
    21 years ago

The best working ones are those pulsating ones. You set little fan-shaped 'stops' and it rotates between the stops making a chu chu chu chu sound. When I put in the lawn at my new house 4 yrs ago, they were the reliable ones. They cover a huge area in a somewhat even way.

Those tall copper water wands (I dont even qualify them as true sprinklers) are decorative only.

• mikie_gw
    21 years ago

Toro makes an in-ground pop-up rotor that does changeable decorative mesmerizing paterns... doesn't take much imagination to mount them on a heavy base or stake adapter.

MultiStream
    > Nine interchangeable arc discs

Graceful "Fingers of Water"
    create a striking visual effect.

• strawberrygoat
    21 years ago

I saw some homemade ones with a plywood cutout for the support, in the shape of a little kid. The arm was free to move, so when the hose was attached to the arm, the water sprayed all over in a random spray. It was funnier than heck to watch. I've been trying to find them again since.

• Rhus_toxi
    21 years ago

My favorite is metal, has 2 holes in the top: NO moving parts. Indestructable! Puts off a mist-type drop. Disadvantage doesn't cover too large of an area. Am trying a similar one, but this one is cast iron, very heavy for the size, which should help in dragging across the lawn w/o it flipping over. Simple is Best