Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megmcmillan46

Black Gardens

Meg McMillan
22 years ago

In quest of data on Black Flowers, are there any famed black gardens just as Vita Sackville-West had her white garden ? Any research articles from gardening magazines would be great. Preferably something hardy for the Canadian Mid-West.

Comments (17)

• Bill_zone6
    22 years ago

You may get some ideas from "Color in the Garden". Many combinations are given with these colors in mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Creative Gardener

• DTKATY1_NETSCAPE_NET
    22 years ago

This link has some ideas that might work for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gothic Gardening: Theme Gardens

• oldherb
    22 years ago

Hollyhock 'The Watchman', Black peony poppy (my absolute favorite), mahogony salpiglossis, Iris chrysographes, and there are pansies and violas that are about as black as you can get. Some of the sun flowers are coming out in some pretty sultry shades. There is also a black tulip. None of these flowers are truely black but a dense shade of burgundy or purple.

Don't forget leaves if you want a truly sultry look. Cimifuga racemosa 'Brunett' has very dark leaves and so does Anthriscus 'Raven's Wing'.

• ramboe
    22 years ago

I like black Mondo Grass.

• Josh
    22 years ago

Here's a magazine article I found useful re dark plants...jo

Here is a link that might be useful: Dark Plants

• SoCal_Janine
    22 years ago

I like the ipomoea (ipomea? I can never spell it!) variety that's called "blackie". It looks great spilling out of a big pot - the color is really very dark purple of course, and not true black, but it's pretty close! Easy to grow and very easy to propagate - eye-catching and different.

• Shadyflwrs
    21 years ago

Try black Iris, Columbines and hardy Geranium phaeum.

• Shadyflwrs
    20 years ago

My favorites are
    Black TB Irises
    Black Daylilies
    Black Columbines

• peachiekean
    20 years ago

Black aeonium (succulent)is my favorite black plant.

• mamabirrd
    20 years ago

I have a white Delphinium that has black bees. Basically the center of each flower is black.

• hopflower
    20 years ago

I have some very dark maroon sweet peas that are almost black. It reminds me of an incident that my significant other and I shared. I went on a quest for dark plants as well, especially the sweet peas; there were several I grew and they just weren't dark enough. Finally I got some I thought would do, but I overplanted in the fear that they would not germinate or would not be effective enough. The following summer I had an (unplanned)all-black garden; he thought it was the most gloomy sight he had ever seen and constantly refers to those peas as the "morbid garden" flowers! I agree that they would have been more effective had one or two been used as a counterpoint for more colourful flowers. But, to each his own!

• undercover_owl
    20 years ago

I was under the impression that "nature doesn't like true black". (my sister, a painter, told me that).

I had a friend who talked about having only black flowers in her yard, so as a present, I got her some dark dark purple pansies---the closest to black I could find---but not black enough, apparently. She was a little disappointed because they weren't black enough. So I basically said "good luck finding any flowers / plants that are actually black".

She really did appreciate the sentiment behind my gift, and I thought her reaction was pretty funny.

• mobius
    20 years ago

I thought I would like black flowers but when I saw them in person I thought they were.... boring. Plus there is the problem of the flowers blooming at different times (and limited varieties) so the overall effect might be disappointing. However, there are truly black pansies that I want to grow. But that is the only "true black" flower I can think of. Most are dark purple or dark red.

I would love to see pictures of any ones black garden. I might change my mind and love it.
    Tina

• growershower
    20 years ago

I found some "black" coleus this summer. "Black Ruffles" and "Stained Glass". Very nice plants. I'm going to take a few cuttings and overwinter them indoors.

• hoe_hoe_hoe
    20 years ago

If I had really been bitten by the black flower bug, I wouldnt be without a big pot of Asarum maximum 'Green Panda'. I haven't acquired it (yet), but I've often admired it. I don't think I would risk trying to grow it outside here, and for you, that would certainly be a no-no.

• kpj1
    15 years ago

So many dark flowers, quite a few black ones too, so don't doubt the color
    see this link for 2400 black plants
    http://www.karenplatt.co.uk

• ronbre
    15 years ago

i have several black plants that grow well here, watchman hollyhock would be my favorite, there are some nice black bearded iris, not really really black, but i still like them. As far as famous black gardens, i really don't know of any..

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor