Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nell_6

Favourite houseplant?

Nell - 6
23 years ago

What is your favorite houseplant?

I favor the "passalong plants" because they grow fast and all your friends love getting them. Plants that were gifts are also extra special.

Included in this list are spider plants, wandering jews, pothos, pregnant onions, and my very favorite, mother of millions.

Nell

Comments (34)

• Barbara - 5
    23 years ago

This week it has to be my variegated Rhapis Palm. Last week it was my Aralia and I'm sure next week it will be something else. It is so hard to choose a favorite when you love them all.

• Krista - 5
    23 years ago

I love my purple passion and my dracaena that is pushing 5ft tall ( i have had it since it was the size of a spider plant.)I am also growing some bulbs as house plants (zone 5) that I received in trade, cuban lily & clivia miniata.

• Kimberly - 6
    23 years ago

I can't kill my devil's ivy or my philodendron. They just grow and look great in spite of all the abuse, unlike my Norfolk Island Pine which looks awful no matter what I do!

• Raistlin
    22 years ago

my favorite is orchids and my second favorite is mother of millions.

• Dswan
    22 years ago

I love my dracaenas because they take abuse and grow to a huge size. They also look cool. My other favorite (I can't just pick one) is african violets. It's nice to have something blooming in the winter.

• ankraras
    22 years ago

My problem is too many favorites leading to an accommodation problem... LOL... Ti-Plants are blooming right now thou.
    Supannee

• saucydog
    22 years ago

I love my jade plant.

My mother in law gave a big branch to me (she lost it due to some sort of rot). I cut the problem area out and stuck it in the dirt and it is beautiful now!

Saucy

• penny_md6
    22 years ago

All around? I would have to say Clivia. It has such dramatic flowers for an indoor low light plant.

• zone5
    22 years ago

I don't have a favorite,, I love them all!!! Maybe peace lily, because they bloom so often, or my fiddle-leaf fig.It's so hard to pick a favorite, my house is like a jungle.

• cindy_5ny
    22 years ago

Rex Begonias! I love all the different combinations of leaf colors, I love the challenge of propagating them and I love finding new varieties and collecting them!
    CIndy

• hannah
    22 years ago

Probably, besides my AV's, I'd hafta say my H. Kingiana!

• Pidge
    22 years ago

I like winter flowering bulbs, like paperwhites and amaryllis--and an orchid anytime. Mostly I have just a few ivies and a peace plant hanging around, but I do love anything with a flower inthe winter.
    I'm really an outside person when it comes to plants.

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    21 years ago

My two favorites - two because they are closely related - are the ivy topiary I've grown from a sprig in my wedding bouquet (circa 1996), and a beautiful white-rimmed purple-flowering African violet my husband gave me before we were married. Obviously we're still enjoying our honeymoon, seven years later!

• summer99
    21 years ago

My favorite is my Eucharis lily, Eucharis grandiflora. It is as easy as a peace lily, looks beautiful year-round, and has beautiful flowers from November to February (at least in my house). A really great plant!

Here is a link that might be useful: Eucharis Lily

• Growin_Crazy
    21 years ago

Have to be my miniature AV's that line, well crowd actually, the sill of my kitchen window over my sink. The window overlooks my backyard, so even in the winter, I have something pretty in my window.

• gardeningangel_z6
    20 years ago

Well ,I've got at least 100 differant kinds , but I guess my favorite is the moth orchid I bought at Wal Mart in 2001, in bloom.It now has it's third set of blooms.Last year's blooms lasted over 6 months!!!It's a lovely pink.
    Marian

• Bonnyleigh
    20 years ago

I know people hate these.. but I have a love affair with my croton.. I also tend to love my fittonia.. it's so beautiful, but so so fussy..

• Violet_Girl
    20 years ago

My Cactus. Well, I don't think it is really a houseplant, but it grows in my house. I had a little cactus, and this kind of cactus grows little baby cactus balls. When the balls fall off, they are the CUTEST little cacti, no bigger than my little pinky nail. I had a whole line of pots, ranging from littles to biggest, on my windowsill.

• ericmike
    20 years ago

My orchids and weird cactus

• aka_peggy
    20 years ago

Gee, I'd have to agree with penny_md6 that clivia miniata is the best all around house plant;)

• marie_ga
    20 years ago

It depensds on the day of the week.. At the moment I have over three hundred house plants, and the plant of the day today would probably be my purple passion, he is just really looking extra gorgeous at the moment. My orchids are my favorite when in bloom. Who knows what my favorite may be tomorrow. See, day before yesterday my favorite was a curly finger croton, then I discovered spider mites, so now I'm angry at it.

• Jepa
    20 years ago

Jasminum officinale. It is SO lovely.

• tacapollo
    19 years ago

Whew! I agree with almost all of the above! I, too, have an indoor jungle going on and (especially in the winter, when everything outside is dead) I have a wide variety of favorites.
    I have a cactus and a dracena that I love for their height and ease of care. I have 6 hibiscus trees and an oleander all standing about 6 to 7 feet and blooms all winter.
    I have a huge pot of Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter cacti that blooms in a variety of colors all winter.
    I have 2 similar cacti that bloom huge flowers when I set them out in the summer. The largest only blooms at night, but what a beauty!
    My jasmine bush blooms continuously and scents the stale indoor air and my bromelaids send up their colorful spikes in midwinter to cheer things up.
    My biggest pots hold my philodendron monsteras with tropical leaves as big as my chest/torso.
    Also worth mentioning are my figs (fiddle leaf and rubber tree), flowering maple (has flowered not-stop for 2 years), the interesting, flourescent pink arrowleaf plant, black bamboo, my snake plants/ mother-in-law's tongue which seems to live forever without water and little light and my palm and bouganvillea which have survived nearly similar abuse.
    There's also my useful plants: Bay leaf (laural), chives, thyme, basil, chives and ornamental pepper (love that spice! plus what a color change in the cute little Christmas lightbulb'ish' peppers!).
    Finally, not to disappoint anyone, I also love my trays of African Violets and orchids which can produce bloom at very depressing times of the year!
    And, not to leave anyone out, I'd like to thank my parents, my manager, my producer...oh, sorry! Wrong speach!
    :>

Terry

• LaurelLily
    19 years ago

Other than my gift plants, which as you said are very special, I can't have enough English Ivy. I love it. It's invasive if grown in the ground, so I just indulge myself by growing it in pots in the house. : )

• postum
    19 years ago

I love my Baby's Tears. I have couple plants that I grow in large shallow pots. I just keep it moist and mist it and give it a hair cut if it starts looking leggy. There is just something so fresh and magical about it. Happy holidays, Amy

• jflo
    19 years ago

I love my china doll (radermachera) for its lovely, lacy, shiny leaves. I've had no problems since i got it 6 mos ago - knock on wood - but heard they can be tricky.

• lilpanda
    19 years ago

Plumeria, jade, orchids, X'mas cactus, money tree (pachira), draceana....

• Tiffan
    19 years ago

Geranium/Pelargonium (fuzzy fragrant leaves), China Doll, Dragon Tree, Ficus tree, Rosemary, and Orchids (if I can ever survive one!)

• AaronCGI
    19 years ago

Without a doubt, it's my rubber tree, if only because it's bigger than I am (well in width and height anyway) and is like an old pal. Also love my rabbit's foot ferns, spider plants, red-veined fittonias, my several purple velvet plants, and cissus, to name just a few. Link to a recent photo of my rubber tree below.

Aaron

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Eliza_ann_ca
    19 years ago

I don't have a lot of windows with the proper lighting for houseplants,but my kitchen windowsill is crammed with my favorite housepalnt African Violets..I have run out of space and still keep bringing them home.I just love them.

Eliza ann

• vetivert8
    19 years ago

Hoya carnosa, because it takes my erratic cycles of droughting, flowers reliably in low light, ignores the steam from the kettle and has nicely patterned green leaves with white splashes (naturally!)

• Sally_D
    18 years ago

Orchids and "Fat Plants" or caudiciforms. They are so wierd.

• janroze
    18 years ago

It was orchids, until we were gone for the winter and I lost my whole collection to mealybugs. Aargh! Now, I would say the dependable Christmas or Easter cacti that bloom 3 times a year and my grape ivy which needs very little light and doesn't get spider mites like other ivies.
    Oh yes, I love my hoyas, curly and straight - such interesting blooms as are the jade and sanseverius.
    jan

• gardengirl_sd
    18 years ago

My pony tail palm, but I don't have to baby that one like I do my Croton Mrs Iceton-very cool red/blackish leaves at the bottom...very hard to not have leaves fall!
    Love radermachera-each time grew really big and then became sooo infested with scale, I couldn't save them, no matter how often I wiped them down and sprayed! I might try again...I now have a systemic granular insect killer that worked really well when my spider plant became infected with scale.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES