Return to the Favorites Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o Ferns - Staghorn

Posted by
Honey Rivers - Dallas TX
(bearly.legal@airmail.net) on
Saturday, November 02, 1996 at 19:04

I have some terrific staghorn ferns and I'm told they are "very hardy" - do I need to bring them in for the winter (or at least undercover) or how do I care for them over the cold spells that we get here in Dallas?
Any help would be appreciated....

Follow-Up Postings:

o RE: Ferns - Staghorn

I have kept staghorns in a greenhouse that was set at 45 degrees, so that is the extent of my experience with them in cold temperatures. If you opt to cover them in the cold, make sure you don't use plastic anything, and make sure you don't leave them covered for very long. I hope someone sees your post with some more details about the low temperatures!

Where are your ferns? Have you get them growing on a tree?
They are very interesting plants.

Are you referring to Platycerium bifurcatum? If so, 50-60F, since they are Australian plants. If too cold, the plant will wilt. Good luck.....Ingrid

Honey... I usually bring mine indoors if it is going to be a particularly cold night/hard freeze. One of the ferns I have is over 30yrs old. Started by my other halfs Grandmother. It is truly a remarkable specimen. The lady across the street has one almost as old. She leaves hers hanging w/a sheet over it and a portable spotlight underneath to provide extra warmth. I do the same for all of my tender tropicals. Be sure to anchor the sheet w/clothes-pins or something to keep it from blowing away.
Hope that helps. :> Chef/Ron

o
RE: Ferns - Staghorn

I LEAVE MINE OUT ALL WINTER UNDER A FROST-PROOF,PLASTIC COVERED LATH. THEY DON'T LIKE TO BE WET DURING THE COLDER MONTHS, BUT THEY DID MUCH BETTER THAN WHEN I HAD THEN INSIDE A GREENHOUSE WITH INSUFFICIENT CIRCULATION AND EXCESSIVE HUMIDITY THEY HAVE ENDURED TEMPS FROM 27 TO 102 DEGREES.THEY GET NEARLY FUN SUN IN WINTER.FOR THE SUMMER I HANG THEM IN TREES AND WATER WITH A SPRAY HOSE.

o

I love staghorn ferns. I have a small one that I have growing out of the side of a basket that is hanging in my greenhouse window.
We have a flower show coming up next weed and I'd like to get a larger plant. I had never considered puting my staghorn outside even though I do set all of my other ferns out for the summer. I'll have to try that this year.

o

I need some new ideas for a staghorn fern that needs repotting. It's pretty small right now, but is starting to put on new leaves. I would like to do something interesting with it.

o

Hi Carla,

I have seen some fantastic staghorn ferns in California at a fern show. One was growing on the side of a log that was about 4' tall. The fern itself was about 6 feet across, what a wonderful plant. On a smaller scale I have seen them growing in shallow bread baskets hung on the wall. I saw one that was attached to the front of a painted bird house, real cute. I'll keep my eye open at the flower show this week and let you know what I find.

Bengal Lily :-)

o

Have tried many ways to propogate these beautiful ferns - any ideas - we live in a temperate climate north of Perth WA

o

I grow a fairly large staghorn indoors all year round. I keep it in a fairly well-lit room that I grow orchids in. It does very well inside. I mist it every day and drench it once a week with 1/4 strength mix of a balanced fertilizer. I also keep a ceiling fan operating 24 hours a day-I never turn it off.

o

I live in Ontario, so I know my Staghorn wouldn't survive outside in the winter. It's kept indoors during the cold months, but it is also a plant that many people in Ontario have never seen. I don't have much information on it. The one I originally saw in Florida was huge, it hug from a tree and seemed to grow from a log. When I was able to find one, it was very small so I put moss on the log with the staghorn and hung it from a chain in our home. Its a few years old now and has grown, but not as much as I think it should have. Periodicaly it's leaves turn yellow and die, the base has grown-become cone like-it has grown. I don't know what else to do, can anyone help me please, I would really appreciate it.
It's outside now, while it is still warm.

o

We live in Cajun State and just recently got a staghorn. Want to be sur and treat it properly. Have been told to use 1/2 orchid fertilizer 2xwk and drench weekly. Is that correct? It is outside now. Thanks

o

Have a very large staghorn that sat in a tree. Several months ago we had a bad windstorm and lost the tree, which had decayed. We cut the wood that was holding the staghorn and now have it sitting in our yard. It is huge and we would like to propogate it but do not know how to cut the pups. Would appreciate any help we could get.

o

I have had 2 staghorns on my front porch for the past 5 years. Over the past 2 months one of them is starting to die. I noticed it had a large patch of brown (like felt) stuck on the back of one of the leaves (hanging downward leaves). I brushed it off but the top of the plant is now slowly going brown.
What can I do to save it. I live in hot area in west australia and it has a drip systm watering it twice a day (20mins) each time.

o

I have two staghorn ferns fastened to boards nailed to my North exposed fence in my back yard. One with wide forked leaves and the other with narrow. They are about 25 years old and are enormous. When they were small I brought them into my house for the winter. They are so hugh now I cover them with a sheet during the cold months and they have come through just fine. I water them once a week with the hose and have never fertilized them.

o

I have been told that putting a ripe banana at the base of the staghorn fern where the leaves branch out was good food for them and so I periodically do that to mine. It seems happy enough. I put my fern against a board with a little bit of earth, surrounded by moss and held by chicken wire and hung it on the wall outside in a shaded area. I live in Southern California by the beach so there is no danger of frost here.

o

I found one on the side of the street that people were throwing away. It was enormous and I had a real hard time lifting it to put it in the trunk of my car. I got it home and put it in the middle of my "jungle" in the garden, among other trees, on the beaten earth. I always thought I would do something with it one day. Well, about 3 weeks ago I found a palm tree branch that had fallen and cut
it in different size pieces and went to the big mammoth fern and cut out where new growth had come, the leaves and a whole chunk behind them. I took a piece of the palm tree branch, put some earth, put the fern, put some moss
and attached everything with a nylon thread I found at the fisherman's shop. It ended up a pouch, the fern pops out of it in a truly spectacular manner and the whole thing hangs along the wall. Very tropical looking. I still have the huge mama staghorn fern in my backyard, happy and getting bigger by the day.

o

Hi Nadia-
I live in SoCal, too, on the coast. My mother in law had a staghorn mounted on a wooden board and it outgrew the board, was huge! It fell and broke into two pieces. My husband and I brought it to a local nursery to get them each mounted on boards. In return, she is giving one to us and I'm very excited! She feeds hers banana peels and has it in a shady trellised area.
Marlene

o

My big brother is looking is looking for these. I think he said "frag horn" but I don't know plants so these colud be the right ones.

doese anyone know were i can get one for him? I'm really worried about him. He is usually happy when his arm is working and he can mess with his fish and plants but i think he is bummed now because he cant get the stuff he used to could off at college here at home in the boonies since he got sick and had to quit school.

Can I find these in the woods or get seeds? What do they look like?

do anyone know what a "F A Lilly catus" is? He said he couldn't find that at the store ether.

o

Hi all!
Anyone raise these ferns outdoors in P.A.?
Just put one outside that I got last summer from Home Depot, then got 2 more from Home Depot today- a smaller baby? and one about a year or so old!
They are in their original pots. Best to put on boards or in hanging baskets? Or just keep in their pots?THAXS!!!!!!!!!

o

• Posted by tdun z5 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 5, 02 at 3:36

Oh man, so many questions. I try to answer as many as I can. First I will suggest a site to check out. Go to a search eng. and type in Roy Vail. He has written a book on staghorn ferns that is a hobbyists dream. You will get a website that he is involved with and or many links to other sites. Now on to the questions. I have grown many staghorns here in Michigan and found most of them to be hardy down to frost level, the common ones anyway. They have always done better for me if I put them outside for the summer. Patrica, the brown felt patch is spoor, that is how the fern propigates so it is best to leave it on the leaf. It will fall off when it is ripe. Marilee, it is normal for the fronds that hang down to dry up and fall off after a couple of years and some types of staghorns grow slower than others. CJ, staghorn ferns can usually be obtained at any Home Depot, Lowes or similar store. Try the suggestion above for Roy Vail and you should be able to pick one out of a croud of plants. The other plant he mentioned might be an Easter Lilly cactus. Its latin name is Echinopsis and it is very common at stores but finding someone who can point one out to you is less likely. Try looking at the tags if there are any and you might find one. Ferndude, I grow my staghorns on boards, logs, and in baskets and have found that to be better than in a pot. That is how they grow in nature and I think they do better that way. For potting mix I find it is easiest to use straight long grain spagnum moss and tie the plant onto the board or log with fishing line.

o

when u say basket ..do u mean wire baskets or straw woven types? please take me thru steps for wire..moss on outside and where does staghorn go? outside or IN basket? do u have to fill basket with soil or just spaghnum moss?? whats the dif then from a pot also with soil??hmm.when i got mine from home depot its just in a 6'' pot but i want to hang it..thx for any info

o

• Posted by tdun z5 MI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 6, 02 at 3:10

You would definately want to use a wire basket although a plastic wicker basket would certainly be a novel look and the entire basket should be filled with long grain spagnum moss. This moss is the kind that looks like seaweed, not the milled spagnum that is much finer. To attach the fern to the basket, I would recommend cutting a hole in the wire and hanging the fern out the side.
That said, I would recommend that rather than using a basket, I would use a log with the bark removed, such as you might find in your fireplace. Simply set the staghorn on a bed of the moss and wrap the whole mess up with nylon fishing line. To water just dunk it in a bucket.

o
RE: Ferns - mounting

Ok, I'm back. You can put the fern either inside or outside the basket. The reason I don't like baskets is it is so hard to divide the plant when it gets large. Try the link for more help on mounting staghorns.

Here is a link that might be useful: fern factory

o

This is my staghorn in Houston. It was given to us as a pup, now probably should be divided as it is getting too difficult to get off the tree when freezes are expected. It gets morning sun and I feed occasionally in the summer with fish emulsion or orchid food.The photo is from a year ago, so it is a year larger....

Here is a link that might be useful: staghorn

o

tdun I can't thank you enough for the "roy vail" tip on finding information about staghorn ferns. I've tried 3 times now to raise one and my last one is on it's last legs. Thank you!

o

Wow Chickadee I never realized Staghorn fern got so big or were so beautiful .Am going to have to see about getting me one of thoses.Your a great photographer also.

o

I just bought little bitty staghorn fern-- it only has a few leaves sofar.They are such intruiging plants. I am growing it indoors and I am wondering how to go about mounting it onto a board. I have some cork and sphagnum moss, I do not know it cork is suitable or not. I am verrrry new to this so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

o
Ferns - Staghorn

Where do staghorns come from?
do they just appear?
can you get seeds for them?
This is very important.

o

LOL

o

I have mine in a small oblong pot. I would like to use it to trade if someone could tell me how to give start to someone else.

o
Propagate your Staghorn

Hi all,

Here's some info how to propagate your staghorn:

To propagate your "Staghorn" take a sharp kitchen knife and cut out the young plants leaving about a 2" circle of moss on each pup. Fill the hole in the mother plant with new moss. Pot the pups in a moss based soil or mount them on a board. Board mounting is easy. Find a piece of wood you like. Hammer in about 10 roofing nails in a 12" circle. Fill the circle with 2" of long fibered sphagnum moss. Plant a pup or two in the moss. Tie a length of waxed or nylon string to one of the nails and just wind the string back and forth around the nails, creating a "spider web" fastening the plant to the board.

I'm in Houston and I just found one a month ago and I just can't take my eyes of it. Staghorn is native from Java, Indonesia and Australia - so it's just remind me of my childhood! Beautiful fern!!!

HEre are some usefull links:
http://www.mgonline.com/stag.html
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/county/smith/tips/house/staghornFern.html

Hope it helps.
Karina

o

Hey folks,

I'd like to purchase some unsual staghorns, my zone is 7 and I know I would limited as to the truly awesome variety, but, can anyone suggest a good reliable source to purchase these beauties on the web.

Appreciate it!

Flo

o

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Favorites Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here