Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shari_norway

Poinsettia - how long can it live?

shari_norway
21 years ago

I have a friend who received a poinsettia last year for Christmas. Somehow she managed to keep it alive and it was huge, at least 18" tall and as wide. Lots of leaves, very bushy. She really wanted to keep it, even if it never bloomed again, but it died quite suddenly. They hadn't chanegd anything so can't figure out what happened.

Does anyone know the lifespan of a poinsettia plant? That's the only thing I can think of, that perhaps it just reached the end of its life.

Thanks,

Shari

Comments (8)

• Clare
    21 years ago

A poinsettia should be able to live for years. They tend to be very rugged, forgiving plants. I think they do need a dry season. Perhaps that is a clue. In their native environment, poinsettias grow to shrubs or small trees.

These are very, very common as houseplants inthe USA and are usually sold from November through December already at the size you mention. I have seen them grown to four feet (around 1.5m) kept in a sunny window.

• sunhat
    21 years ago

In the tropics they're perennials, planted often outdoors in the ground. They get those coloiured bracts every year when the nights get longer (ie in winter) provided they get really dark nights, not disturbed by any kind of lighting.

• ninecrow
    15 years ago

Old thread I know, but the one I've got is 5 years old

{{gwi:76997}}

• cisforcannoli
    7 years ago

I was wondering this myself I am horrible with plants and im so proud because I have kept this poinsetta alive for nine months. I couldnt believe when it turned green! They dont seem to like it to hot or cold and you dont need to water them very often. Also you should place them in a dish of water rather than directly in the pot, or so I read. :)

• ninecrow
    7 years ago

That Poinsettia Lived For 11 Years But Died When I Went Into Hospital.....

I Now Have Another That'll Be 3 This Year.....

• patricia mets
    7 years ago

Mine is 3 years old from a 6 inch supermarket pot. It lives outside as soon as it doesn"t get lower than 40-45 degrees. Long island NY zone 6. It is now about 4 feet tall. how I'M getting it back into my little house this year is a mystery. It's in a 30 inch pot now and the stems are turning red so I hope for flowers at Christmas. Others I had lasted 5-6 years but never got this big. When they are inside they are very fussy about water too much or too little and all the leaves fall off on the floor. I find that they like repotting every year in regular old potting mix. They do not like being root bound.Hubby waters it with the water from the ice cooler, the sprinkler and whatever happens to be handy. when it's inside i just use a regular small watering can for house plants.

• patricia mets
    7 years ago

tj so pretty!