Houzz Logo Print
jeanette_gw

tulips planting and care

jeanette
25 years ago

help - dumb gardner wanting to plant tulips (received
potted tulips for Christmas and now what?) Live in
Central Texas, either too hot or too cold, too much rain
or not enough, rather poor soil would love to start a tulip bed outside or potted tulips in bright well-lighted room... any help would be appreciated

Happy New Year!

Comments (30)

• alison
    25 years ago

Hi Jeanette! Hopefully the tulips you got in pots were prechilled & are ready to grow. Are there some shoots coming up? If so, just put them near a window. Once the buds start showing you can move them out of the window to prolong bloom.
    As far as starting bulbs outside it may be a little late, but maybe not, depends somewhat on your climate. Generally you can still plant as long as the ground is not frozen solid, but the tulips will need a period of cold while they are in the ground, unless you buy them prechilled.
    Uh oh, I think I'm being confusing, sorry! One other thing you can do is go up to the top of this page, hit "other forums," look for the bulb forum and post your questions there. Good luck to you!

• Pat Williams
    24 years ago

I live in Colorado. A friend gave me 10 tulip bulbs which were purchased in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago. I plan on planting them this weekend, 10/9/99 or 10/10/99. How deep should they be planted? There are no instructions in the package

• Larry
    24 years ago

Pat,
    Plant them at about 8 inches deep and throw in a good sprinkle of bulb booster too. Next spring when the first foilage appears sprinkle some more bulb booster and scratch it in around the tulips. I consider tulips annuals as the following years after the first can be really disapointing. I prefer Daffodils,they get better each year as they "naturalize" and the foilage is alot neater.

• Heather
    24 years ago

How do you care for indoor potted tulips? I received some potted tulips for Valentines day. They have bloomed, grew very tall and are now losing their petals. Will they bloom again...I'm just not sure what to do with them next.

Thanks.

• Janet Bang
    24 years ago

I got tulip bulbs for Christmas, we planted them right after they have bloomed what do I do with them now. I live
    in Houston, Texas. Will they come back next or do they need to be removed from the ground.

• Rick
    24 years ago

i bought 30 bulb at a plant sale and planted them a week ago in colorado in very sandy soil great sun site what are my chance asnd what do i do to increase my luck

• Suzy Shoberg
    23 years ago

I live in the sierra mountains of california, elevation 6000 ft. I dug up some tulips and am relocating them in a raised flower bed outside. I was thinking about planting them today but am not sure how deep especially with a raised flower bed. Let me know what you think...and if you have any other tips to offer.

• Johnette Shoberg
    23 years ago

Larry, in an earlier message,suggests planting 8 inches deep. That may be a good idea because of your altitude.
    I'm sure that you will be delighted with your results come spring. A favorite quote that I read recently says that gardening is most successful when you plant in one location this year, if you're not happy with the results. move it to another location next year, and so on and so on....
    Time spent in the out of doors is never wasted.
    Love from Mom

• Natalie Warner
    23 years ago

I live in the San Francisco East Bay where it rarely freezes - and only just barely when it does. Last January I planted 100 tulip bulbs throughout my front garden - the result was glorious!
    In another forum topic someone says that tulips must have a winter freeze in order to bloom year 2. Is that correct? Any way around digging them up - composting, music, prayer, lots of sun?

Any how about my glads - will they bloom again next year if I don't dig them up? This is sounding like hard work.

• Priya
    23 years ago

I live in Cincinnati, OH. I plan on getting some tulip bulbs this weekend. It will be my first experience with tulips. I live in an apartment and hence would not be able to plant them in soil. Will they grow in pots? Mine is a town-home and hence I have a patio. I get good amount of sun there. Is it already too late for them?

Any help is appreciated.

• HeyBambi
    23 years ago

Stop posting more questions. Go to the Bulbs forum and post your new questions or do a search. One question per post, please. This is the area for replies to the original post from Jeanette about Tulips in Texas. Jeanette - it depends on what form your bulbs are in: are they are pots or are they just in a bag, ready to plant? If they are in pots, let them bloom, then plant them outside or throw them on the compost heap. By all means go to the Texas gardening forum and ask there. Good luck.

• Esperanza Guerrero
    23 years ago

Estoy desesperada por saber algo de los Tulipanes, porque tengo como 30 bulbos pero no se que hacer y no entiendo el Ingles. espero que alguien me pueda contestar en Espanol

• Gina
    23 years ago

I received tulips for Valentines day and im not sure how to take care of them. I live in a condo and do not have a backyard. Can i keep them in the pot?? Will they bloom again? Thank you for any help you can give me...

• Robin
    23 years ago

See what happens when people post new questions while others are trying to answer the original post? None of these qestions belongs here. Please go to the BULB FORUM if you want to ask a bulb question. All of the Q's asked here are already answered at the Bulbs Forum. Please check it out. Jeannette: If you're in Texas, you should just pot them up, water them well, and put them in the veggie drawer of your frig for 16 weeks. Then make sure they dont dry out completely, then take them out and set in a bright window, or plant out in the garden. They will bloom, then probably die if they are hybrids. Hybrid tulips are treated as annuals, and never bloom as well as that first year. PS: If you could post your zone, you would get better results/answers to your Q's.

• Cindy
    22 years ago

The place where I work just dug up all of their tulips and threw them away! After doing some dumpster diving, my co-worker (I don't think she actually jumped in the dumpster) gave me a fair amount of the bulbs. Can I plant them again now? What should I do with them? Help me, please, somebody, anybody.......

• Bob
    22 years ago

how do i get more bulbs from the plants i have.

• Katie Young
    22 years ago

I am having a major problem with my house tulips; I don't know what the problem is, but I think it may be killing the tulips. I bought the tulips about a week ago, and suddenly all the petals have lost their firmness and have spread out, allowing them to fall off. I don't know if this is a reproductive trait or my not taking good enough care of them. Please respond quickly. Thank you.

• Dianna_in_WA
    21 years ago

Would Tulips in texas be considered an annual? I should think you could plant some now while the rest of us are experiencing Autumn, and have bloom at some point. Be sure to get pre-chilled bulbs or put them in the refrig. a few weeks before planting.

Dianna

• Nancy5050
    21 years ago

Tulips I have none. Well to speak the truth ,kinda been afraid of them,. this year I will try some.You know live and learn or may be conquor my most dreaded fear Now Irises Ican talk thoses with you ,especially if we dont mention any names.

• Nancy5050
    21 years ago

Tulips are great I REALLY WANT SOME

• suzjudy
    21 years ago

I have just received 100+ bulbs from the Netherlands. I live in Zone 7 - Central Arkansas. Should I put these bulbs in the refrigerator for about 6 weeks before I plant them (without any apples). Thanks for any help "you" can provide

• furnest
    20 years ago

I need help!! We have just planted tulip bulbs here in Southern MN. I thought it might be early yet, but my mother said they'd be fine. I am helping her get a little garden started. We planted them with some bulb-booster fertilizer & black dirt about 6 inches deep. Did we do okay? Any suggestions so we can have healthy beautiful tulips next year and for years to come. Your help would be very-much appreciated.

• christophersprks
    17 years ago

Hi there folks ....
    When the tulips have lost thier petals is best to wait till the stems are old brown and withered befor cutting them away or can I do it right away ?

• jesemaka06
    17 years ago

Hello everyone, I just recived my first plant for Valentine's day. I am unsure how to take care of it. I live in Houston, Texas. The petals are starting to dry and fall off. I am unsure what I am supposed to do now, I would appricaiate any help that you can give me. Thank you for you help.

• chicagold
    17 years ago

I just planted tulips out doors that had bloomed already. I live in Arlington, TX and now they are starting to look weathered and the petals are drying out. Did I do something wrong? I planted them last night and today they are looking as if their dying.I am also not sure how much to water them.

• christophersprks
    15 years ago

Hi there folks .... I'm back again
    "When the tulips have lost thier petals is best to wait till the stems are old brown and withered befor cutting them away or can I do it right away ? "
    Hopefully someone will help me out here.

• christophersprks
    15 years ago

anybody have any suggestions as to keeping the squirrels away?

• mona_gardener
    15 years ago

How do I care for potted tulips indoors? How long will they live indoors?

• Vee
    13 years ago

I got some potted tulips recently and they were still closed when I got them, the next day I put them by the window and they opened up its been like three days now and some of the leaves have started to wilt. Please help I don't know what to do, maybe I haven't been giving them enough water or not enough sunlight? I give them water daily and keep them by the window though. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

• melanie
    12 years ago

a jobsite where my husband works just dug up a bunch of tulips. He is bringing them home tonight. Can I replant them now? And if it is several days to a week before I can get them in the ground will they be ok? How should I store them until I can plant them? Some of these are hybrid tulips.

Sponsored