Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eukofios

What methods are you using now to root cuttings?

eukofios
11 years ago

Curious about what methods people are using now, for rooting their fig cuttings. I've set up a dozen or so. About half with the moist-paper-towel-in-a-zip-lock method, and the other half in sphagnum-based seed starting medium. All are on a seed-starting heating mat. Except the 2 in my east-facing office window.

I feel like a kid waiting for christmas. I keep peeking in the zip-loc bags to see what is happening. A couple of them discolor a bit, which I suspect is mold starting in the paper towels. So I rinse them and replace the paper towel.

Any body have a favorite method to share? There are older threads, but I'm wondering what people are doing this year.

Some years I just stick prunings from my fig trees, into the garden soil. Two years ago I did that with Desert King, and almost all of them grew.

Comments (10)

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi,

I`d also like to know about how to root cuttings.
    Should I cover the cup which the cutting is in with a plastic bag over it and air it out once a day?

• frankcbd
    11 years ago

For me, I've had great success with sphagnum moss. Soak the moss, then squeeze water out like a sponge. Moss should be damp, but no water should be dripping.
    Lay a bed of moss, then cuttings with enough space for roots to grow. Then a top layer of moss. Cover shoebox container with lid. In about 3 weeks, you should have roots. Transfer to clear cup or pot with 70/30 perlite/soil. Check picture link below.

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by frankcbd on Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 20:58

• eukofios
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Frank, are you watching the temperature? I have mine on a seed starting heating mat. When I checked the temp last year, it was about 80 degrees. I've pre-tested it by germinating vegetable seeds - it sprouted radishes, eggplant, peas and beans in about 2 to 4 days. So I think it will be ok for fig cuttings. I also have some in a window sill. That one is in the mid 60s.

That sphagnum moss method sounds tempting. I think I'll try it out.

• kngskid
    11 years ago

This is my first year rooting cuttings and I'm using sphagnum moss and plastic boxes like frankcbd but I soaked my moss in a root stimulator solution. Don't know how much the root stimulator helped but I prepared my cuttings on Tuesday 1/15 and today I have one small root on one of the cuttings. I plan to pot them when the roots are well formed.

**Prior to putting the cuttings in the moss I cleaned them using an old toothbrush and a weak bleach solution then rinsed and patted them dry. Again I don't know how much this helped but they are looking good. PS I got this idea from an old thread, credit to the originator

• cazimere
    11 years ago

50/50, perlite/vermiculite mix in clear containers so i can see root development. Some in a clear tote with a clear lid.
    Some on the window sill with clear cups on top.

• frankcbd
    11 years ago

I keep the bins in room temperature. It takes a little longer for roots, but I've learned as long as the temp is consistent, there's less chance of mold.
    I also scrub with AB soap and dip in bleach solution. Only thing is to be careful when digging for the cuttings in the sp moss, as you may tug on roots if they're long. I move to cups after I see about 1/2" of root growth.

• eukofios
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the comments! It's interesting and helpful to see the different methods that work. It changes how I do things.

• frankcbd
    11 years ago

What's hard for me to learn, is that there are 100 ways to do things, which applies to this subject. For now I'll be sticking to this method. It would be nice if there was one, bullet-proof way of doing certain things, huh? :)

• barnhardt9999
    11 years ago

I do pre-soaked 50/50 perlite/potting mix in clear containers. Then add an 3/4 inch of 100% fine dry vermiculite on top to seal out any fungus gnats or moisture loss. Then place them in a plastic ziplock bag.

Once I see the roots in the cup and buds are starting to swell I take them out of the bag and put them on a south facing window (use suction cup shampoo holders). I put the clear cups in red solo cups to absorb heat and block UV from damaging the roots. Then I can pull the clear cups out and take a peek at development anytime.

For watering if any pools at the bottom of the cup its too wet. If nothing condenses on the inside of the clear cup in full sun its too dry.

• eukofios
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Frank, so true! I think that's part of the fun - there are many right ways, and no perfect way, and what works for one of us may not work for the other. Not a lot to do gardening-wise with the ground frozen, so I'm peeking at my cuttings every day!

Barnhardt, your method sounds like a good approach. I could see the suction cup holders adding to the available window sill space - which I might need in a month is all goes well!