Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fig Spray

Posted by foolishpleasure 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 10, 11 at 0:50

I am planning to spray my Fig trees with Dormant oil spray as soon as I see some life from dormancy and as soon as I get them out of the Garage. I know the FIG trees can have a disease called rust and for that I will spray Bordeaux Mix. My question is when I spray? if I see sign of the rust or I should spray as protection. The other question I have we are blessed with armies of cuddling Moth which infects the Apple and Pears Trees and come in two waves Early and late summer. Do thay infect other fruit trees too especially FIGS. Spray does not fight this disease the only fighting chance I have is bagging the fruit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fig Spray

• Posted by ejp3 7NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 10, 11 at 6:44

I can only speak for myself here in NY. I dont recall rust ever being a problem here. Sure some leaves of some fig varieties look like they get a small case of it but it has never impacted the plants. One reason I switched from growing apples to figs is the codling moth and other pests. Too much work dealing with these pests when growing apples. I have never had a single codling moth incident with any of my figs.

o
RE: Fig Spray

Great news I am really tired of cuddling moth I have only two apple trees and two pears and if you see the work I do to fight this pest you feel sorry for me and after all that I lose to them. Bagging is good protection but I can not bag every fruit. I bagged only 100 last year and protected them. All the fruits high on the trees were destroyed. If I don't have to deal with this pest with my Figs this makes me so happy.
Abe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here