Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitangadiego

Major Pruning pix Marseilles VS

17 years ago

Before. 9' tall. You can see where the planted started 2006 as two twig about 12" tall.

After, 15" tall.

Comments (6)

• 17 years ago

Hi Jon:Very nice pruning for an efficient main crop.
    Just wanted to let you know that this cultivar has the only breba crop that i can call tasty,in my backyard.Also it come abundantly in the middle of July.All others are wishy,washy(Breba).Watch it for breba in your climate(it still got a lot of buds left on trunk).Best Regards

• 17 years ago

Herman,

I long ago reckoned that I would rather have manageable size trees, than have breba figs, most of which, in my opinion, are not that great, anyway. Unpruned, this tree would have been close to 20' tall by next Fall.

• 17 years ago

Agree

• 17 years ago

I read in a book about tree pruning not too long ago when I was "forced" to spend a few hours at a Barnes and Nobles with the family. I don't remember the name of the book or the reasoning, however, the author argued that major pruning led to aggressive growth. Its a bit of a catch 22. The action leads to the unwanted behavior.

From Berkley Horticultural Nursery:

Winter pruning encourages aggressive growth and, like all good things, should be practiced in moderation. Winter
    is a good time to make structural and aesthetic decisions, but reserve your heaviest pruning for June or July. Remove
    vigorous, upright growth by as much as two thirds. For increased fruit production, prune to outside buds and encourage horizontal branching. Your pruning decisions should enhance air circulation and sunlight penetration.
    Aggressive pruning is most necessary only when the tree is young.

~james

Here is a link that might be useful: bottom of pg 1

• 17 years ago

James,
    I've read the same thing in regards to other fruit trees, that pruning to help maintain a smaller size should be done during the summer, and that (as you write) winter pruning encourages growth.

• 17 years ago

Summer pruning works better on things such as stone fruits, where you are pruning off vegetative growth, not fruting wood - on plants that do no fruit on the new wood. If you summer prune a fig, for the most part, you are pruning off fruit.

As far as agressive growth goes, that provides a lot of new fruting wood and encourages branching, which also provides additional new fruting wood. Hasn't been an issue on my Vista, Panache, Black Mission, some of which I have posted pictures of this year. They are 5-10' shorter each year, grow a lot, and fruit heavily. It seems to me it would also make winterizing a lot simpler, when they are so short.