Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yanggers

So ready for a giant fig

yanggers
13 years ago

In Kyoto, Japan, I remember eating my first fresh fig from a tree in a farm. The fruit was so huge like an apple and creamy-soft I had to use both hands. I am so ready to get like that one growing here in Baltimore. Suggestions? I have a 4 year old Brown Turkey growing here and it's doing fine without cover in winter but has tiny fruits. Fertilizer? Different variety?

Comments (11)

• frozenjoe
    13 years ago

I would make 2 suggestions:

1) Try growing a variety that is known to produce larger figs, for example LSU Gold.

2) Pinch back the growing tips by early summer to encourage the plant to put more energy into the fruit as opposed to vegetative growth.

I don't think that increasing the level of fertilizer will do too much for actual fruit size.

Joe

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

There's a known variety known in Japan as Masui Dauphin. It's very large. The Japanese prune and fertilize in a certain way in order to harvest extra large figs. However the flavor from what I understand is not that great.

Here's a link for the different figs grown in Japan.

Bass

Here is a link that might be useful: japanese figs

• capenewf
    13 years ago

Try blue giants from fig trees.net

• robert_2007
    13 years ago

Bass, is that correct that the Masui Dauphine gets as big as 200 grams?????????????????

Bob

• yanggers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, I will trim the branches this summer. Also I will buy a large fruiting fig tree this spring. It's interesting that Masui Dauphine is from America. Once Trees of Joy opens for business in the spring I am ordering/picking up a large-fruiting tree.
    Yes to fistfulls of figs!

p.s. Just sharing a story: I was looking for fresh figs as holiday present for a Spaniard friend of mine. Just like orange was big deal decades ago, fig could be the next thing. But really it was impossible to find a seller. I settled with searching for fig flavored ice cream (Laloo's goat milk fig ice cream) but nobody had that either. Now what I need to do this summer is to make tubs of my own fig ice cream!

• axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
    13 years ago

Huge fig and tasty are not frequently coincident, according to my experience, small to medium size figs are better in most of cases.
    One exception is Longue d'Aout, it bears huge figs but sweet and tasty. In my opinion, it is much better and bigger than LSU Gold, and one of the best varieties.

• Nelson E.
    13 years ago

Masui Dauphin was reported to be San Piero by Ira condit. My California Brown Turkey produced main crop figs that weighed between 160-180 grams taste was average at best big open eye wich soured and split during the humid periods of summer. California Brown Turkey is also a synnonim for San Piero. But like Axier said huge figs rarely taste as good as small to medium figs.

• northeastnewbie
    13 years ago

I have a brown turkey that produces baseball sized fruit.I believe it is refered to as a California Brown Turkey. This year I will have to get better pictures and gram weight from this tree. I have three of them right now.

• george_k
    13 years ago

Hi Axier

I am a keen fig enthusiast from Australia.

I have a variety of figs.

Is there a possibility of exchanging fig cuttings?

• vitalucky
    11 years ago

northeastnewbie
    Is there a chance to swap cuttings?
    I always thought that California Brown Turkey was just another Brown Turkey.
    I am vitalucky on figs4fun

• Fascist_Nation
    11 years ago

I'd say try that Banana fig someone posted from Texas. It was the size of an apple. Otherwise, not likely to get figs that size from most varieties. In zone 7a you will also have to watch what figs will grow. Plenty of cold weather figs to choose from. On the bright side, smaller figs = dry-able figs.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner