Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smdane05

Free fig cutting

smdane05
12 years ago

My fig tree is causing problems with the pipe line and I m going to have to cut it down, sadly. I've never have tried creating new trees from established trees, so I am offering anyone who wants fig trees to come and cut them their own cuttings. I'm not in a huge rush but I'll bet cutting it down within in the next month or so. Email is fastest to get to me Sarahmdane@gmail.com.

The fig trees are about 15 years old. I'm alsonlooking for any advice tonged the other one I have to produce fruit. No one has really taken care of the yard since we moved in and I really would love to have some figs next year.

I live near sugar land!

Comments (10)

• wildforager
    12 years ago

If you'd be willing to cut & ship them for people that would be most helpful. This forum has people from all over, not only the USA but from all over the world. Most likely you will get emails with this request. Hope you're open to that possibility. What color are the figs?

• mersiepoo
    12 years ago

Wow, you live in zone 5 and have a fig growing like crazy?? What kind is it, a brown turkey?

• wildforager
    12 years ago

I'm in zone 5 and I have a greenhouse.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    12 years ago

Sugarland sounds like the Houston area to me. Would be nice if he/she would say.

• smdane05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do live south of Houston, sorry. My tenth month old came down with this crud and we all have it. In the midst of no sleep and head cold, I thought I posted this in the Texas forum. Right now, it is pending pick up. I'm also researching on getting the cuttings to root before I consider shipping to anyone.

• budbackeast
    12 years ago

I dug up three fig trees today and transplanted them into the back yard. They are not small, and in digging them up, I cut away over half of the roots. But I've been doing this forever and have never lost a tree yet.

Might you consider just transplanting the old tree? It's fine if you have to cut away a lot of the roots. Just have a couple beefy guys around to tear it loose from the earth and let them drag it to a new place. Replant, water and walk away. Figs can take it better than any tree I know. You will be eating a bucket of figs come summer.

• Gregory Eleser
    10 years ago

where can I get, buy fig tree cuttings? I am in South Louisiana, zone 9

• johnorange
    10 years ago

I'm in Zone 8....figs do really well in East Texas. My tree was from a layered limb from my Mom's tree. I think it's a turkey fig. smdane05 probably doesn't have time but if you put a brick on a low limb it will root in the soil and you can just cut the branch after it's rooted and transplant. I'm intrigued by budbackeast's comments about transplanting. The fig and the lemons in the photo are really too close and none of the trees are any where close to full grown yet....maybe I should consider moving my fig.

• patriota
    10 years ago

I overpruned my trees this year

This post was edited by patriota on Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 23:26

• tbf211
    8 years ago

Hi, I would love to have any fig cuttings for free. I live in Malaysia and we got no problem with whether to grow fig. Feel free to contact me. :)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County