Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantsonmyporch

Fig not fruiting

plantsonmyporch
12 years ago

Dear fig lovers,

I have been a lurker for a while and learn so much. Right now I have only one unknown fig tree that's a vigorous grower that I can't get it to fruit for the past 3 years and starting to loose hope, though I've been reading on the forum now that it's possible. It seems like a happy tree to me growing up to 6.5-7 feet tall with some nice branches now and it puts up a lot of growth every year. Oh, it's not in the ground, but in a large barrel and it does drop leaves in winter (I overwinter it in a very cool part of the house with light.) The fig leaves have 3 lobes (almost 5, but the last two are not deeply cut), have very light veins contrasting dark green leaves later in the season. Is there anything I can do to encourage fruiting before spring come? I have never pruned it. I was reading how some varieties can be encouraged to fruit from pruning. Is that true for most?

I'm also thinking of finding other fig varieties to try so I don't give up on fig yet. What is a recommendation for a productive, yummy fig that may produce at a very young age that will be ok in containers for the northeast? (too much to ask I know :P) After I've been reading, I'm thinking Kadota/Dottato, Alma or Celeste might be some good varieties to start out with for something productive at young age and I'm considering them. What are some good dark variety that can produce at young age with quality fruit? If anyone has a recommendation or a few cuttings you can spare for me to try, I'd greatly appreciate. I have lots of heirloom tomato seeds and a few unusual edibles to trade.

Comments (4)