Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to Uncover In-Ground Fig?

Posted by geoffs_ri 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 16, 10 at 8:14

I have an in-ground fig that is covered up for the winter, and I'm unsure when the best time to uncover it is.

I've heard that uncovering first day of spring is the way to go. Being that this is New England, though, I'm concerned about late frost/snow. It is not unusual of for the temps to drop into the 20s in spring.

Thanks for comments.
Geoff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to Uncover In-Ground Fig?

Go with nature (it knows best!).
Watch local shrubs/trees when they first exhibit bud swelling/breaking...

o

There is no set date to uncover your fig trees. Two things you want to keep in mind: First don't uncover when it's too cold. Cold damage will usually occur when temperatures below 20F for fully dormant trees.
Secondly, don't keep it covered when it's warm. When the weather is constantly above 40, you will run the risk of molding.
For my area I usually check the weatherin March, if I don't see very cold night in the 10 day forecast I uncover it then. March or April is the best time to uncover it.

I hope that helps.

Bass

Here is a link that might be useful: fig care

o

I do agree with both Person,of What they advice.
Too early and the ,plant can have frost Damage too ,late and it will get mold and many branches will die.
Personally ,I uncover,on first Day of Calendar Spring,because I am aimming to get a main crop only.
If I was aimming to get 2 crops,Breba and Main,then The date I have chosen will not work because frost will kill all Breba fruits buds.
Do not uncover your tree if you are growing a Breba fig such as Desert King,but do uncover if you are having a main crop fig type.
Hope this will HELP.
H2

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here