Cultivars Pictures - Univ California

Posted by paully22 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 22, 07 at 8:31

Fresh fig pictures fr uiversity of california web site:

http://groups.ucanr.org/freshfig/Cultivars_Pictures/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cultivars Pictures - Univ California

Why is there Osbourne Prolific totally green with redish flesh, and all of mines is a purple colored fig?

o

Good Question:I have an Osborne Prolific from a Gardener in Oregon,and,When Ripe, is Orange Exterior,with dark yellow interior.
It only had Breba Figs last year in second of it's life.Second crop fell off.Regards
Most litereature will say that the corect Osborn Prolific is Brown Tan Exterior with amber interior.

o

The White Texas Everbearing pulp in the picture is red, whereas the pulp of my White Texas Everbearing, which came from a cutting from the individual who provided the White Texas Everbearing to the Germplasm repository, is amber. The pulp of my Kadota is also amber, rather than red as is the pulp of the Kadota from U of Cal. Perhaps the difference in color is due to climate or caprification of the fruit in California.

o

• Posted by bjs496 9/Houston 7/NJ (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 23, 07 at 14:31

From Belleclare: Osborne Prolific Medium,Green to Brown, Amber Center,Sweet Very Prolific, Hardy (2crops). Both of the UCD observations indicate their fig does indeed have yellow-green skin.

For all the discussions in this forum about mislabeled fig trees at nurseries, I don't think any one has discussed the possibility that UCD has mislabeled trees. I suppose they are susceptible to the same problems we have.

~james

o

Yes, changing the air every few days is a good idea. Many cuttings will not get moldy, but inevitably some are so inclined.

o
RE: Cultivars Pictures - Univ California 1

WTE at Figs4Fun. It was late, in its' first season, and not fully ripe, but definitely will be red/pink inside.

o

Herman,

You described my Osborn quite well:
"Most litereature will say that the corect Osborn Prolific is Brown Tan Exterior with amber interior."

That sounds more like what mines look like.

The Osbourne that I have does an excellent job ripening even in mild San Franciso summers. Last year, I had about two weeks of fog and close to no sun. It felt chilly, and I was a bit concerned about the figs not ripening. But Osbourne still did ripened.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here