tandrew31
14 years ago

Just rooted several of the above.Is this the same as Peters

Honey?and is it suitable for containers?and any other

information such as hardiness etc.Thanks

Comments (21)

• paully22
    14 years ago

No it is not the same as Peters Honey. In my zone Peters Honey required more heat units to ripen & somewhat late in ripening.

It is suitable for container culture and hardy. My bigger plant has been sitting outside after year 2. Its in a cedar barrel. Roots have gone in ground. Tend to sucker a little.

• vern_2006
    14 years ago

Tandrew31, it is suppose to be the same as Lattarulla.

Vern

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Peter's Honey and Italian Honey are not the same. Peter's Honey has more of a honey/amber colored pulp. The real Lattarulla is different from both of these. Lattarulla will have red pulp......as per Condit.

Dan

• fignut
    14 years ago

Condit differentiates between Lattarula (white interior) and Lattarola (red interior). Lattarula is: Blanche, White Marseilles, Marseilles, Italian Honey, Lemon etc., etc.

From Page 374 of Fig Varieties a Monograph:
    Near Portland, Oregon, this variety ranks first among the
    figs tested for home and orchard planting. A Portland nurseryman, B. R. Amend, in his
    catalogue for the season of 1942, describes this variety as Lattarula (Italian honey fig), a
    name suggested by some visitors from Italy. As described elsewhere, however, the
    Italian variety Lattarola has red, not white, pulp.

That small difference in spelling might just be Condit's distinction. But adopting Condit's spelling for the the red interior variety might be helpful and a bit less confusing.

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

.......I missed that small "detail" in spelling. Thanks.

Dan

• paully22
    14 years ago

OK fig friends --- can someone who have both variants(amber & red) report on their differences & preference. I have heard good things on the red one. Unfortunately I have not come across comparative feedbacks. Thanks.

I have the amber one. I like it and its reliable. Not the best tasting fig but very acceptable for my zone. I am very glad a kind member have send me the red variant cuttings. Hopefully in 2 years I can report the trials from West Coast. I am counting on the red variant to root easy & survive.

• peg919
    14 years ago

Thanks Fignut for the information. I'll go with Condit and
    you.
    I have Italian Honey,(Lattarula) white interior. It was my first fig tree, (from a cutting). Taste wise the figs are a favorite of mine and those I've shared them with. It is quite prolific and very dependable, every fig is delicious.

It is very hard to get viable cuttings. The ends are quite knurled. They bear very well in clusters but very slow to root. The new shoots in the pot are better. They bear but not yet big enough to cut. I have a couple of cuttings now that are finally getting roots but it has been slow.

Since it is my favorite I'm counting on these cuttings to root in case something happens to my mother tree. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Peg

• herman2_gw
    14 years ago

When I was 8 yrs old,in 1958,i went to visit my father ,sister House,and lived there for a week,because she never had any children.
    She had a fig tree,wich later another year I noticed it in the winter was protected with a pyramide,of "corn stocks",(Cold climate would be Fig nuts,take notice,Corn stock is ancient protection,and best).
    At the first time I seen the tree it was only abut 6 foot tall and full of figs.
    They were greenesh white,exterior ,round,and with clear honey interior,with a little opaline color(white),close to surface.
    I remember them because i ate so many in that week.
    They were super super sweet and tasty.
    Of course life went on,and I grew up and away,from my old village on paralel 44 in Romania at the base of the Carphatian mountain,just below and not Far from Tirgoviste,the Capital of Vlad the impeller.
    But I have an sharp memory,so when I aquired ,The White Marseilles from 2 different sources,i recognized it as Identical with My aunt tree.
    Except that here the fruits are ,one and a half larger,in size,they contain more water,and so,are less tasty compared to the ones i mentioned above.This is because here it rains 50 inches average,and there it rains 30 inches in average.
    Mathematically and also make sense why they grow bigger.
    So I think this fig is making very good fruits in short Sommer ,cold,climate,if given a chance and protected when young.
    Best Regards

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

I have a Florentine fig which originated in the Alexandria, Louisiana area. If my memory serves me right the mother tree is described in Condit's work.....I'm too lazy to check right now. It is sometimes called an Italian Honey fig. I also have an "Italian Honey" La. heirloom fig......both of these are excellent figs and are different than Yellow Marseilles. I have not yet compared them to my White Marseilles as it has not yet fruited for me.

I also have a "Cajun Honey" Louisiana heirloom fig which is by far the sweetest fig I have ever tasted. Right now I don't recall all of the exact differences between these "honey-type" figs.....but they definitely seem to be different cultivars than Peter's Honey. I purchased a Lattarola from Ed last year and I am looking forward to seeing how well it does in my yard.

Dan

• rafed
    14 years ago

Since we are talking or comparing the Peters Honey, Italian Honey, White Marseilles and Lattarula.
    Then what catagory would the St. Anthony fall under?

I purchased one last year and don't know too much about it yet and I'm hoping it will fruit this year.

I purchased it because my sons name is Anthony.
    But I've read somewhere it is same as Lattarula or White Marseilles. Could that be true?

Rafed

• peg919
    14 years ago

Herman,
    So nice to see you posting here again and telling us your nice story.

Our trees sound very much alike. Like your's, this fig is super sweet and also the taste, for the lack of a better word has, "character".

Although there has been an unusual amount of rain here too this past season it hasn't changed the taste much, if at all. It is still a good tasting fig.

Good luck to you and your pleasent memories.

Peg

• cath41
    14 years ago

I have a White Marseilles and a Peter's Honey, both from Raintree. These are definitely different. This Marseilles has an amber or white interior, is difficult to root (as Peg says)and is not very tasty (unlike Peg's). Although it improved a little last year - probably its third year of bearing. It has produced more fruit than the Peter's Honey and was a little later ripening. The color was off white to pale gold and a little scruffy with brownish marks here and there. The Peter's Honey tasted very good (husband's favorite, my second favorite), was broader in the beam, smooth and green - attractive. It rooted easily. It did not bear well last year. Probably because of all the rain and cool weather.
    Hope this helps.
    Cath

• fredfig
    13 years ago

A newbie on forum. I just planted a Pete's Honey Fig in my yard (New Bern,N.C.)
    I never knew anything ,but BT's until now !
    I am excited about learning other varieties. Thank you, Forum !

• eukofios
    13 years ago

It always seems to me that the same fig can have different names, and some different figs can have the same name. Plus, the same fig grown in different climates can be different.

I don't want to add to the confusion, but I would now love to rename my Lattarula fig "Herman's Tirgoviste fig". I even live reasonably close to the 44th parallel. I'll keep using the same name, but tell people these came from the home of Vlad the Impaler.

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

Eukofios:That is not right,to name it that way.
    Because this is positivelly an Italian fig,known from Roman times,and was imported all over Europe,and maybe the world,from Italy.

• eukofios
    13 years ago

Herman,
    Don't worry, I won't add to the confusion. I'll keep it's original name. But I really enjoyed your story. Thank you for telling it!

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

My White Marseilles has not yet fruited for me so I do not have any personal knowledge about its taste or fruiting characteristics. However, my Yellow Marseilles is definitely not the same as any of the Italian honey figs mentioned. Yellow Marseilles has rather large seeds within the pulp. They are very crunchy with a definite nut flavor to them. No other fig that I have ever eaten has such a pronounced nutty flavor from the seeds. I could easily identify this fig during a blind taste test.

Dan

• igo4fish
    12 years ago

Okay, here goes! Lattarula (mis-spelled) = Lattarola (correct spelling; a.k.a. Italian Honey). Lattarola/Lattarula is not a synonym for Blanche (a.k.a. White Marseillles). Dan was correct when he "mistook" Italian Honey to be different from Peter's Honey back on Jun 12, 2010. Lattarula was just a name that was listed on a nurseryman's catalog back in 1942. Condit did not intend to imply that Lattarula was a synonym for Blanche. If he had, he would have listed it in his first paragraph under "synonyms". There is no such fig as the Lattarula (at least not as of Condit's research for "Fig Varieties: A Monograph". If you search for a variety called "Lattarula" in his monograph, you will not find it. The only place "Lattarula" appears is in his explanation of the nurseryman's listing/renaming of the Blanche variety after the nurseryman, B.R. Amend was told by Italian customers that the fig he was selling as Blanche/White Marseilles was similar to a fig they knew as Lattarola. Clearly, he misspelled it and Condit disputes the similarity with Lattarola since Lattarola has a red pulp. You WILL find a listing for "Lattarola" in his monograph. The rest of the confusion is history. Amazing the confusion one well-meaning nurseryman can have! Reasonable confusion. Hope this clears it up (probably won't!). lol

• janejoe1_comcast_net
    12 years ago

What is the scientific name for the Italian honey (latarula or latarola) tree?

• igo4fish
    12 years ago

janejoe1,

Are you referring to this:

Family: Moraceae (mor-AY-see-ee)
    Genus: Ficus (FY-kus)
    Species: carica (KAIR-ih-kuh)

Or the cultivar name: Lattarola

• bouttyme
    12 years ago

Thanks igo4fish, that is the info I was looking for.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor