Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting ideas

Posted by timmy2green 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 27, 12 at 11:23

Hey everyone,
It's been a while since I posted. I wanted to post this burning ?
Last year I tried a couple rooting techniques, primarily Dan's improved Baggie method. While I had great success getting initials, I lost every cutting after that point; either in the cup w perlite promix or after potting up. Some even had good growth but died. Most seemed to get mold growth and I'm concerned there may be high mold spore levels in my house because all of my windows have it around the edges. I lost more than 50 cuttings.
Keeping in mind I live in cold upstate ny, can you guys share some ideas of methods I could try w cuttings that maybe don't require them to be in the house and that require less maintenance than the aforementioned? Like I read about the burying upside down trick and thought maybe I could try that in my attached garage in big pots or outside but covered w a rose cone. Thanks in advance!
Timothy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting ideas

Perhaps you could wait until the weather warms so you can start them outside where mold should not be a problem. I like to start mine inside to have something to do during winter but after loosing a bunch, this year I'm waiting for warmer weather so as soon as I get them rooted they're going outside.
"gene"

o

Hi Gene,

I'm not waiting. I put some cuttings in the ground in November, and put many more down already in January (more going in today). I buried most of the cutting then covered the rest with mulch for some insulation from the cold. I think we have enough warm days between the cold spells to give them a head start. I have extra mulch and a tarp ready to go in case of freezing precipitation. The tips on cuttings I planted in November started greening up this week.

Timothy,

I'm with Gene. As the ground starts to thaw, try planting them with a simple green house over them. Sometimes the bakeries get their frosting in translucent 2-5 gallon buckets. Slipping one over your cutting will increase the temps surrounding it. If you cover them when you expect it to be below 40F you should be okay.

~james.

o

Anyone in zone 5 is going to have to wait a bit before starting anything outdoors.

I am no expert, but the pearlite/baggie method has worked for me 100% of the time.

Maybe you need clean fresh soil when you pot them up?

2 tblsp of hydrogen peroxide per quart of water will help with mold problems.

o

Hello,
I've had great luck using Jiffy Peat pellets, just be sure that one bud/node is completely encased by the pellet. For added convenience and to keep the stems upright, I stuff the pellets into #72 plug trays.
Best,

John F.
My new blog on heritage fruit trees and how to RENT them!
http://heritagefruits.blogspot.com/

o

Timothy,

Another idea for you: get a Rubbermaid or Serlite shallow (maybe 8" deep) tub. Drill holes in the lid just smaller than the lip of your cups. Put the lid back on the tub and drop your cups into the lid. The root zone of your cuttings will be in a greenhouse, while the remainder of the cutting will stay more quiet in the ambient air. You can move your tubs inside on days where you expect temps to be close to or below freezing.

~james

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here