Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terry_upstate_ny

Pleas recommend size and type of grow lights to ue on rooted cutt

terry_upstate_ny
10 years ago

I am rooting some fig cuttings and would like to set up some grow lights when they cuttings are rooted enough to transplant into cups. I had a grow light once before, I think it was flourescent (not sure) but my seedling tomatoes that I was growing from seed got really long and spindly weak, and died, so I guess that light was too weak.
Anyone please have some recommendations as to the type of light, wattage, etc... , and the distance from the plants? I gave the other light away.

Comments (7)

• nypd5229
    10 years ago

I use buckets and cups for the first 6 to 8 weeks and then transistion to out side the bins. All the while under the growlights, whether in bins or out. The distance depends for me but no closer than 6 to 8 inches from top to bottom of growlights. I keep a thermometer in the bin and keep it at around 70 to 74 degrees.

The Leaves will start to look burned after about two months but that has not affected them when going outside. I go through no light transistion and they go out in full sun. Growth will come to a crawl but thats fine. They are not dying but seem to get use to the light output.

I used T5 6400k 8 lights with 8 lights. They have 4 switches which help to control how much light each row may get. Sometimes less is more and you'll be able to adjust.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growlights

• terry_upstate_ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info. , I also need to decide on whether we should build a wooden box, or use the plastic bin to mount the ights in (would using the lights near plastic be a fire hazard?) .
    Do you think that using LED lights instead would keep the leaves from burning since they don't give out as much heat?

• eboone_gw
    10 years ago

What is the difference between T5 and T12 lights?
    Do they use the same type fixture?

• nypd5229
    10 years ago

T5 are thinner and T12 are more like what you find in common home fixtures.

You can use hangers and mount to ceiling like these. I have no problem putting near my closed bins

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow light hangers

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

T-12 = 12/8 = 1-1/2" diam

T-5 = 5/8 diam

Al

• kyyada
    10 years ago

With regular flourescent lights they need to be within one foot or they are not effective. Inverse square law = every time you double the distance you only receive 25% of the radiation.

This post was edited by kyyada on Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 9:31

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

The light intensity at 2' from source is 1/4 that received at 1'
    3' from source = 1/9 that at 1'
    4' from source = 1/16
    5' = 1/25
    and so on ....

Al

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews