Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
didn't get fig into hibernation in time...

Posted by pandoraj MA (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 11:47

Hey folks,
We are new to figs, bought a little tree this summer, then brought it inside this early winter. We are learning as we go with it, and didn't manage to get it into the basement soon enough for some dormant time.... then we went away for several weeks for the holidays.

Upon our return, the fig has put out some major growth, as in close to two feet of new stem wood with leaves on the primary stem and about a foot on the two others! So much that it is even falling over. I feel worried about putting it in the basement now that it has put out so much new growth. Also worried about it's current crazy growth trajectory!

Should I do it anyway?
Help!
Thanks!
Pandora

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: didn't get fig into hibernation in time...

If grew that much in a short amount of time then it sounds like it's not receiving enough light. This will cause the new growth to be weak and spindly resulting in it falling over. You might want to consider in either cutting half of the new growth off and supporting it or just supporting the whole thing by using some stakes and some twist ties loosely on the branches. The tree needs to be moved somewhere to get enough sunlight. If that's notossible then you can use some grow lights. Hope that helps you.
Good luck!

o

I think cutting each branch about 1/3 to 1/2 off will help in supporting itslef as well as branching out of new shoots. Then pinch the summer growth on all branches after every 6th leaf on each new branch. This pinching practice helps formation of fig embryos than elongation of the branches.
You may search for other post for "Pinching" to know more about it.

o

Hi,

A fig grower is having a similar problem,
see http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0100002812153.html?8

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here