Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryan_tree

Probably a dumb question, but....

ryan_tree
12 years ago

Is a fig the same thing as a ficus? I grow bonsai, and I mostly have ficus trees. For those who don't know, bonsai is the art of miniature trees. I have many Ficus including Ficus microcarpa, Ficus salicaria, and Ficus benjamina. If figs and ficus are comepletely different, then please, forgive my ignorance. If they are the same, I'll share some pictures. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

Same genus, Ryan, different species - the primary differences being the hardy fig (F carica) and it's edible/delicious fruit is usually, but not always discussed here. By all means, share your pictures. Hopefully, by seeing results of your ministrations & manipulations of trees in the genus, others will gain an appreciation for the fact that when healthy, these trees can easily be manipulated and bent to the growers will.

Al

• bart1
    12 years ago

Ryan -
    Where are you in VA? I'm just starting to get into bonsai (and by that I mean, reading books and websites, no trees yet).

Bart

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah, thank you Al. That clears things up and makes sense. I'll post some pictures, but none of my material is anywhere near show ready LOL

Hi Bart, I'm in Northern Virginia as well, Gainesville to be exact. Where are you?

• LizzaNVA
    12 years ago

Brian, have you tried the bonsai clinics at the Wolf Trap Nursery? I've done it once and it was great...I travel too much to have bonsai unfortunately. My grandmother was a master bonsai gardener in New England so I hope to someday follow in her footsteps. For now I have to stick to easier trees--figs and citrus.

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone