Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How old may be a fig tree ?

Posted by xon2000 BARCELONA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 28, 07 at 14:09

The fig tree of Roscoff , ( Bretagne of France ) a fig tree that has lived during 353 years

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1610 , destroyed 1987

Here is a link that might be useful: The fig tree of Roscoff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How old may be a fig tree ?

• Posted by bjs496 9/Houston 7/NJ (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 28, 07 at 14:57

I'm going to have a fig tree like that... assuming I can live another 350 years.

~james

o

What is there reason for destroying such a magnificent tree?

That tree could have been one of the "great wonders of the world!" What a shame!

o

The municipality of Roscoff destroyed this old tree to build a car park. This car park not exists until now.

o

• Posted by gorgi z6b NJ (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 29, 07 at 10:42

SHAME on the Roscoff municipality...

o

This is an old posting, but maybe the newer fig forum members are interested. This is an amazing fig tree that lived 353 years. No mention of the variety.

More pics can be found here:
http://www.roscoff-quotidien.eu/figuier.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Description of Roscoff fig tree

o

Being now destroyed the Roskoff fig, the older now is the "Higo de Pizarro", planted in the Governator Garden (near Governator Palace) in Lima (Peru) in the 1538.

o

I've had the direct indication from my friend Raphael Colicci, Saint Privat, Herault, France: that said (and indicated me the tree), that is born from a cutting of the Roskoff fig. May be is not an excellent variety.

The Pizarro Fig, if yet existant, should have 474 years, I hope that the municipality of Lima do not create a new car park...

As said by a famous phisic: there are two things that are considered infinite: the dimension of the universe and the human stupidity, ....; but about the second there are some doubts.

o

I correcxt myself, considered the new idea of phisics is the FIRST that carry some doubts......

o

Sergnic, thanks for the info.
I looked up the Pizarro fig - the link is a photo someone uploaded onto Flicker from a 1960s photo. Couldn't find anything else.

If still alive that's amazing! IMagine getting figs from such an old tree!

This site claims the tree is still there:
http://www.backpackinginperu.com/presidential-palace/

As for human stupidity.... I agree there is a lot of that! If figs are good brain food, maybe we can helps with that!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pizarro fig

o

Then there is this, a cutting from the Buddha's original fig tree, that was planted in Sri Lanka:

"According to the Mahavamsa, the Sri Maha Bodhi in Sri Lanka was planted in 288 BC..."

It is still there today.

o

Bud, great point! A truly ancient tree! I didn't think of trees that are not Ficus carica, but it's still a fig.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bodhi tree

o

According to Dr. Ira Condit in his 1947 work "The Fig", p. 13, a historic fig tree at Beutelshack, Germany, near a family tomb, was said to have been planted before 1321 and to have survived to 1800. The approximate lifespan of the tree would have been 479 years.

o

Mountain Man, I wonder if it's still alive? I searched on google and did not find it.

The link below states "huge old sycamore fig near the 15th century monastery" but no suggestion as to the age of the tree. Looks like it is in Cyprus. Old tree, based on the trunk.

I doubt that any of my fig trees will be around in 300 years. Doesnt' work that way!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ancient sycamore fig

o

The Romans brought the fig to Spain and other areas that they conquered. Other figs were brought to Europe by returning Crusaders. The reference in Condit implied that the old fig tree was no longer at the site in Germany, although there was no specific statement. A Celeste in Austin, Texas from which I propagated one of my Celestes was said to be at the site since before 1900.

o

I thing that there is another (living?) huge old F. carica
tree, wide-spreading with many branch-supports;
somewhere on the Balearic Islands, Spain.

If it is called Cametas, I do have piece off it!

o

x

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/gorgi/Cametas.jpg

o

My ooops for the above!
I wish there was an edit/delete option.

This is the one I have a piece off (Camet/as).
Not sure if it is one-tree or a multiple-row?

Photobucket

o

Gorgi, what a beautiful fig tree! Thank you for posting that. I would like to see it in person.

One thing I noted with the Roscoff fig and the Cametas fig is they seem to be growing on supports, almost like grapes on an arbor. I wonder if that would be a good way to grow figs.

o

If that tree was in my city it could be designated as historic property and enjoyed the protection of historic property law. One of my relatives bought an old house and he wanted to demolish it and build a new one. He was stopped by the city because the house is in the historic district. He was told he is allowed only to remodel it within its old style.

o

My Cametas specimen (p/o the magnificent big mother tree)
has not fruited for me yet. Is it a light or dark fig?!?

I did give a piece off mine to a very famous fig
collector/distributor; and so ensuring its USA existence.

Doing some digging-up, most probably the mother tree
is on the isle known as Formentera?

o

Gorgi - It was generous of you to provide your Cametas fig for growing in the US. Other people will be able to enjoy it too!

o

Here is some more info on the Formentera figs. From the article, the local tradition is to prop up branches, allowing them to continue to grow horizontally.

Here is a link that might be useful: formentera figs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here