Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chippoli

fertilizing fig cuttings

chippoli
11 years ago

This my first attempt to grow fig cuttings.
I have several that have roots and leaves growing in 12oz. soda cups. I plan to re pot them in larger pots next week.
My question should I give them a shot of fertilizer?
I plan to use Maxi corp seaweed fertilize at about 1/4 strength. Is this a good Idea. I am in zone 5 so plants will indoors for about 3 months. I have them in a window now but could move them under lights if need be.
Thanks for any advise

Comments (8)

• tony_c_m
    11 years ago

Myself, I do add a weak mix of fertilizer to them after they are potted up to larger container. Some say not to because it will burn the roots but I never had problems and I know a few others who do the same as I do. I would say go for it just don't use a strong dose and you should be fine.

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I do fertilize them. But I use a fertilizer with low nitrogen the first number. Generally low nitrogen fertilizer is my the one I use for all my fig trees. When I can not find low nitrogen fertilizer I use 10-10-10.

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

Yes I read the article, she said that sandy soil is deficient in phosphate. That what we have sandy soil. Even in pot soil I add some sand to help in drainage. Buttom line I read a lot of articles of those so called experts and every one is say some thing different. To eliminate this confusion I use balanced fertilizer 10-10-10 Too much nitrogen especially in Figs gives you a lot of foilage and leaves and less fruits. If you have the tree as ornament too much green will be fine but I want to eat some figs.

• bonsaist
    11 years ago

I use slow release fertilizer with ratio 3-1-2 on reported small rooted cuttings and I get great results. I think the slow release is released a little at a time.

Bass

• kkfromnj
    11 years ago

Not sure I agree that nitrogen reduces the number of figs.

Pretty sure Belleclare recommended Miracle-Gro (24-8-16) for figs. Since their site was taken down, if I remember correctly, they said once a month, 2 tbls to a gallon of water (MG recommends 1 tbls to a gallon).

I think Nitrogen increases growth = more nodes = more figs

• herman2_gw
    11 years ago

Nitrogen increases the distance between nodes,so on a 3 foot stem you have less nodes,than if the nitrogen was not given.!
    Belleclare advice (24-8-16),is too rich in Nitrogen.
    This advice is good for producing large tall plants fast,so they can be sold for a better price,but once the plant is in the gardener possession,the nitrogen should be reduced so the plant grows solid wood,to resist Winter,in special ,in cold climates as northeast.

• kkfromnj
    11 years ago

You may have less nodes per foot but more nodes overall.

I don't fertilize my in ground trees only my potted trees which over winter in the garage.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County