Houzz Logo Print
countrysam

Conscious of opinion???

countrysam
16 years ago

Would it be fair to say that the Fig Forum group's

opinion of the largest in size, not quanity, producing

fig is a brunswick, brunswick type, brunswick sport,

etc. I looking for a conscious of opinion.

Thanks,

Sam

Comments (15)

• mountainman0826
    16 years ago

There are several large figs that might be mentioned along with Brunswick as being among the largest figs: Capella (Sicilian Black Mission), Gentile, Malcom or Patrick's Supergiant (a Brunswick Variant) and Giant Amber. Below are pictures of Capella (from Adriano's) and Gentile (from Leon's Italian friend, I believe).

Capella

Gentile

• mountainman0826
    16 years ago

Additional Pictures of Large Figs

Malcom's Supergiant (TyTy)

Giant Amber (Figs4Fun)

Fiorone di Ruvo (Leon's Italian Friend - I think!)

Lyndhurst White (KK from NJ)

• gorgi
    16 years ago

Definitely 'the' Brown Turkey and Celeste (variants).
    George (NJ)

• gorgi
    16 years ago

Also add the famous MISSION and CALIMYRA figs, if the
    'fig-heaven' state of CA is put into the equation.

• herman2_gw
    16 years ago

I would like to say that when judging fig size one should mention,if the respective fruit was a Breba or a main crop.
    I would like to say to the Countrysome poster that indeed Breba of Brunswick is among the largest there can be,but the main crop is not at all The largest and there are other figs that have much larger main crop.
    Brunswick(or Quarter pounder),had a least one fig Breba,that weighed,6 ounces,see Jack Thomas.
    On the other hand Brunswick makes only a few Brebas,and they,are poor to average in taste and flavor.
    Personally i think ,size is not important,in fig growing,but Flavor and sweetness is what i am looking for.
    Best Regards

• herman2_gw
    16 years ago

I was reading my post and i have to corect something.
    Brunswick has Poor to average taste,most of the years but this year it was excellent,because we had the perfect dry,and hot weather at the end of July 2007.
    So It is posible that if grown in a place like let's say New Mexico or Arizona,then Both Breba and main crop,would be Excellent.
    Now I make justice to this old Cultivar.
    Best Regards

• mountainman0826
    16 years ago

My understanding is that Sam was asking which figs are the largest in size, not the most prolific (heavy producing) or the tastiest. The figs pictured above would not be my current choices for my tastiest figs. I think that Herman is correct in making the distinction between brebas (figs borne on the previous year's wood and main crop figs (figs borne on the current year's wood) when talking about size. Brebas do tend to be larger, in my experience. Of the figs pictured above, I think that the Capella, the Gentile and the Malcom's Supergiant may be brebas. Without caprification, Gentile only produces brebas, although there may be caprification in Italy. Regarding the taste of the varieties pictured above, Brunswick can be quite good under hot, dry conditions, although it is by far not the best tasting of my figs. Capella is not in my collection, but is reportedly a nice-tasting fig. Gentile is described by some sources as being one of the best-tasting figs. Although it is in my collection, it has not produced fruit yet. Lyndhurst White, under unusually wet conditions last year in Austin, TX, produced large beautiful fruit, but the taste was insipid. I look forward to trying the fruit during a typical hot dry Austin summer. Giant Amber and Fiorone di Ruvo are in my collection but have not fruited yet.

• herman2_gw
    16 years ago

I also would like to point out that the Breba figs are not really fig fruits,but fig flowers.
    Only the main crop is considered fig fruits,so in that regard Brunswick does not make the largest fruits,But only medium to large fruits.
    So the simple answer to the guy question,is NO.

• countrysam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to everybody for your input. I guess the conscious
    is don't put all your figs in one basket. Which leaves me to my quest for the best fig, I know its out there somewhere. Thanks again.
    Sam

• fignut
    16 years ago

Herman, That is very confusing. I know the terminology in other languages refer to brebas as the "flower" crop, but I'm not aware of any actual, physical difference between crops.

• gorgi
    16 years ago

countrysam,
    Mountianman was right, I DID mis-read your question. My
    answer was (in error) around the 'most gown USA fig'.
    As of the best most BIGGEST fig grown through out USA, I
    have no clue. Also I can say that QP, (a Brunswick variant),
    does produce some huge breba fruit. Alas, though, all my
    3 big Brunswick variiants are on the 'death row', MOSTLY
    because they perform so poor in frequent moist/rainy
    weather, here in the NE. BTW, Ray Givan does recommend
    Brunswicks for the 'drier' SW USA regions.

Other BIG figs ( if that is what you are looking for) are:
    Monrovia -Black Jack (mine came via James), Guilbeau,
    Italian Everbering and (my)Hollier(not)...

• gorgi
    16 years ago

The gist here is that 'BIG' is not always better here.
    Yes, I would love a 'watermelmon' sized, sweet fig (and
    wearing a hard hat). From I what I hear from my (NJ) fig
    friend; SMALL/DARK figs are BEST suited for here in the
    NE. Thinking about the MANY (old) fignuts that do
    precious contributions, it may take as low as 2-5 years,
    to make all fig-newbies 'happy - for lack of words'.

• herman2_gw
    16 years ago

The Phisical difference is inside:Breba does not have the good flavor,and plenty of sugar that the real fruit have.
    And this is true for all two crops producing figs.

• fignut
    16 years ago

Herman, I'm not saying that there aren't any differences between breba and main crop figs - there definitely are differences.
    What I'm saying is that the structure is exactly the same. If you split two figs in half, you can't tell by just looking at them if one is a breba or if one is main crop. Physically breba and main crop figs are identical fig fruit.
    I'll stick my neck out. In my mind, the quality differences stem from the rapid early season growth. Even the generally larger size of brebas would seem to be a function of this surge of fluid and nutrients that fuels this amazing spurt. But fast growing fruit usually doesn't develop much taste. Around here people avoid some Florida grown produce because of it. Big and beautiful - but tasteless. We always wait for Jersey grown corn before buying, LOL.

• herman2_gw
    16 years ago

Well Fignut:very good observation.Just like an inverted flower that it is, The Breba Require a short time to maturity,Just like all flowers do,While main Crop takes a Looong time to get mature Just like a Fruit will do.
    You got it completelly explained now.
    Ancient people had a good reason to call them (breba)Flower figs.
    Stay well.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES