Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkailburn

Figs starting to break dormancy?

lkailburn
12 years ago

Hello everyone,

Last April i bought my first fig trees from a local big box. Two black mission and one celeste. They are about 2- 2.5ft tall and did actually produce a few fruit for me last year. So at the end of the season after a few light frosts, i moved them into my detached, unheated garage. This is my first time ever owning or caring for figs, so it's all been a trial so far. I watered them maybe twice so far this winter, didn't want to water log, or freeze the pots, but didn't want them to dry out entirely either. Well, i was out in my garage this past weekend, and it looks like there are little green buds forming or even about to open. I am in zone 4b/5a in colorado and we do have pretty weird weather, 60* one day, 20* the next during winter. our last frost date is about 2nd or 3rd week of april.

So my question is, what should i do from here. Are they truly starting to break dormancy? should i keep them in the garage until the frosts pass even if they push out leaves? my garage has no windows so light only gets to them when i'm in their working with the doors open.

Thanks for the response, i look forward to growing figs each and every season!

-Luke

Comments (4)