Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimzz12

How to take cuttings of my figs?

jimzz12
12 years ago

Hi everybody,

I own 4 very healthy, very productive Chicago Hardy figs. I have grown them in 25-gallon totes over the last 3-years.

I am in the process of moving to Utah from Massachusetts in a few days.

I decided it was morally irresponsible to bring potted plants with me, but I would like to keep my figs.

They completely dormant and in the semi-heated garage.

I was doing some reading and would like to take a half-dozen or so 2 and 3 foot whips with me. I would like to gift the remaining plants to select friends and family.

How do I do this so that I don't annihilate my figs?

~Thanks

From fun stuff

Comments (7)

• gorgi
    12 years ago

I think that dragging along a small (potted) fig tree
    from UT to MA is quite legit...

• Rob23b
    12 years ago

I agree with gorgi that there should be no problem taking a few plants across state lines. The only situation I could see where you wouldn't want to do this is if your plants are known to be infested with nematodes. This is not too likely since you are in MA and you are growing in containers anyway. If you were in a part of FL with a large nematode problem it would be a different story.

But, if you insist on leaving your plants behind, you have two options:
    1. Air layering. You can do a search on this topic on this and other forums. However, this would not be feasible until the spring. And you still might not get fruit again for a couple years on the new trees (the old ones will be fine).
    2. Take cuttings and attempt to root them when you get to Utah. You will effectively be starting over and it will take a couple years before you get back to fruiting on the new trees (the old ones will be fine). Do a search on "Cuttings" or "rooting"

As long as you leave the main branches, those trees should regrow fine in the spring now matter how much you take off for the purpose of growing cuttings.

Rob

• jimzz12
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am running away from the Japanese beetles... plus I am flying.

Unemployed, semi-homeless veteran. Boston, Hartford, and Providence have the highest disparity index in the country; except for these figs and a treasure trove of books, pretty much everything I now own fits in a bag.

Work has been scarce since I got out of the Marine Corps back in 2005. Starting over is nothing new with me.

To be entirely honest I am giving deference to the local land not bringing along anything that might infect where I am going.

Thanks.

• bonsaist
    12 years ago

There is restriction on moving plants due to Japanese beetle infestation. I don't think you'll be pulled over for bringing plants to Utah, but It would probably be better with cuttings.

• gorgi
    12 years ago

Try using this phrase:
    "Beam me up, Scotty"....

• gorgi
    12 years ago

My above statement was meant as a joke; and it will not work...

Seriously,
    I would take some/many ~8 inch cutings along with me
    and/or
    (carry/ship) some 'bare-rooted' whole/parts off the figs.

• groweverything
    12 years ago

Your figs are so gorgeous! I'm starting to grow some figs in a cold zone too and wonder if you don't mind sharing your success. Do you leave those tubs out or do they go overwinter inside? How old are they?

Utah is so beautiful, bring a few dozen cuttings with you, wrap in damp paper towel or newspaper, root them in spring and it will be like home in no time :) (Well, I don't really have experience pruning really, it seems those figs will survive fine even with hard prune.) Good luck with the move :)