Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to prune brown turkey fig tree?

Posted by mollyinthegarden AustinTX Zone 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 21, 09 at 17:15

Hi, I am looking for a little help on how to best take care of several fig trees. I am pretty sure they are Brown Turkey (is there a good way to tell other than the fruit?) I am in Austin, TX and would like to know the best time and a general guideline for when and how to prune these for maximum fruit production. In previous years I have had very little fruit. I need to prune them (i think!)quite severely because the trees get way to tall to get the fruit. I have done this in the past but think I must be doing something wrong because of so few figs... Also, any advice on composting, fertilizing and watering would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Molly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to prune brown turkey fig tree?

If Brown Turkey has a large Breba or 'first crop', I would wait until you've harvested that and then prune. Could be in June for you. If it is not a 'breba' or first crop fig, then you could start after the worst of winter is over, like most other fruit trees, in late February. Do not try to take too much wood in any one year, or you'll get a bunch of suckers from the base and more of a thicket.
Try to make mostly thinning cuts, but you may have to head back a few of the tallest leaders.
Don't 'flat top' the tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown Turkey Fig care

o

• Posted by gorgi z6b NJ (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 17:17

The BT (and the Celeste) are the 2 most grown figs within
the whole USA. The Celeste is supposed to be a 'main crop'
fig (meaning fruit on fresh current wood). The BT is
considered as a 2 crop fig (meaning fruit on both last
year and current) wood.

o
RE:2- When to prune brown turkey fig tree?

• Posted by gorgi z6b NJ (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 18:09

For the sake of completeness, some other figs are known
as 'breba-only' e.g. the Dessert King
(fruits only on last year wood, fruit on the new wood
needs caprification).

Of course, there are those super 'other' figs that perform
extremely well in 'balmy-CA/equipped-with-the-fig-wasp).
e.g., the (in)famous Calimyrna (Syrna) fig.

o

Hi, I live in the North West, Columbia City Or., I have a very large Brown Turkey tree about 15-20 ft. tall, it is very health and produces lots of fruit every year. I would like to prune it down to a better size, So I can get the fruit before the birds do. The bottom branchs are 4-6 inch thick, with lots of open space, no crossing. If you could help me with, when and how to prun my beautiful Brown Turkey, with out making it look like a mess or damage, that would be great. Thank You! Oneata

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here