Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beer's Black and Violette de Bordeaux

Posted by snaglpus 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 10, 10 at 19:17

Is Beer's Black and Violette de Bordeaux the same tree? I have VdB cuttings and according to some sites, they say they are. I know Bass and Herman2 has Beer's Black. Can either of you guys tell me your opinion? Are these trees the same? Dennis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beer's Black and Violette de Bordeaux

They are exactly the same.

Dan

o

Thanks Dan.

Dennis

o

I do not have Beer's Black,But I can say that Violette de B I have (EL Origine),is a very healthy cultivar ,and strong grower unlike others i had.
H2

o

Well, Violette de Bordeaux was one of the cuttings I ordered from UC Davis. Yesterday one cutting has a tiny green leaf! Fingers crossed it and the others survive! Here is why (from the UC Davis website: Violette de Bordeaux figs taste and smell to some like raspberry jam. Raspberries do not grow in the hot Southern California desert, but figs thrive, so this fig will be my source of fresh raspberries!! They also have a Breba crop.

o

Violette de Bourdeaux (VDB) is an excellent fig. However, the VDB strain from UCD will have fig mosaic virus. Often, VDB rooted cuttings from that source will really struggle getting started because of the virus. I hope that is not the case for you.

Should you see that your new fig start has heavy FMV symptoms and is struggling along, put it on a regular soluble fertilizer program....half strength at first.....to help it overcome the ill effects of the virus.

Dan

o

Thanks Dan! I have 120 cuttings in Perlite and Peat, most grapes, some olives, poms, and figs. Some of each are leafing, and I have no clue if there are roots. My only clue is brown edges on a few grape leaves, which means stress due probably to lack of roots. I have cut those leaves in half to eliminate stress, and sprinkled 1/4 tsp of Polyon 22-2/11 heat activated slow release granules (left over from the vineyard), over each planting band, and watered it in. They also all got 1 TBSP of vitamin B water. It's been 15-20 days since they were planted, so I think the progress so far is good.

I'll watch for signs of that virus. I think my fig outside has it, but it's growing like a weed! That one is a no name variety that I got from Gurney's last year. I guess I'll have to Google the symptoms! Slow growth is fine with me because I don't have room for monster figs!!
Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here