Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
60 fig cutting to be buried

Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 2, 12 at 19:30

I got 32 brown fig cutting about 14 inches long.
I was told to cut them 6-7 inches long & bury then buds down in a hole til late March or April.
What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 60 fig cutting to be buried

This process has been mentioned for area where the sun rays can warm-up the top soil where the rooting end of the cutting is. The remaining part of the cutting stays deep in relatively colder part of the soil so bud formation is not expedited. The relatively warm soil near the rooting end helps form initials or small roots. In spring the cuttings are dug out and re-planted normally with the rooting end down, in pots or ground, This gives them a head-start.
The process would not help in colder areas where the cuttings can freeze to death.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 4, 12 at 13:58

I've mentioned/described the method several times, and it will work well in your zone. I regularly treat a variety of deciduous cuttings this way. It should work fine in zones 5 & above, but be sure to bury them in a sunny spot. Dig them up and transplant when either figs or mulberry trees in the landscape start to put on their spring flush of growth.

Al

o

This web site explains the method you are talking about. http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/fruit/figs/figs.html

o

Glad that I found this! I am planning to prune my very old fig tree this weekend and was trying to figure out what to do with all of those trimmings.

o

Tapla ,
How deep are you burying those fig cuttings in zone 5 ?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 5, 12 at 15:50

I usually take cuttings with 5-6 nodes. I cut the proximal end (closest to roots) square & the distal end diagonally so I don't get polarity mixed. I bundle the cuttings together & secure with rubber bands, then bury the cuttings so they are vertical, proximal end up, so the proximal end is about 2-3" below the soil's surface.

The spring sun warms the proximal end because it's close to the soil's surface, and this helps stimulate root formation and growth. At the same time, the cooler temperatures deeper in the soil inhibit bud movement; helpful because it's better to have working roots BEFORE the cuttings push leaf growth.

Make sure you mark where the cuttings are buried, and plan on retrieving them in spring when the fig or mulberry trees in the landscape start to put on the spring flush. Keep any roots that have formed moist, & pot up or plant cuttings out.

Al

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 7, 12 at 11:51

Wertech, that is how I got my cuttings.
The owner prunes heavy, then lightly the second & third year. Then heavy again the four year, because the tree is growing into the drive way.
He has done this for about 15 years, now.
He said I could have all the cutting I wanted, but I only took a hand full.
He roots,grafts & plants all the time.
Thanks everyone.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Sat, May 12, 12 at 13:08

I dug up the cuttings & one bundle was rotten, with white fungus on it.
I may have left them in the ground too long in this warm Spring.
The other bundle has roots & white leaves tips.

o

jolj,
how did cuttings in your 2012 bundle do?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here