Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rob5020

what's the largest fig?

rob5020
16 years ago

Does anyone know what's the largest black or purple fig and where can I purchase it?Thanks...

Comments (12)

• bjs496
    16 years ago

Do you care what the fig taste like?
    Do you care if the tree will grow well in your area?
    Do you care if the fruit will ripen in your area?
    Do you care if the fruit will split so badly you won't be able to eat it?
    Do you care if this topic had already been addressed eight times the day you asked?

• rob5020
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey bjs496,
    I really don't care what it taste like,I do care if the fruit will ripen in my area I'm in Michigan thank's bjs496

• effdeevee
    16 years ago

DEAR ROB5020.... I LIVE IN THE NYC AREA, AND THIS PAST GROWING SEASON ... SUMMER OF 2007 ... I GREW THREE "ATREANO" FIG TREES THAT WERE PURCHASED WITH A CROP OF ABOUT 40-50 GREEN IMMATURE FIGS BETWEEN THE THREE TREES. WITH THE CORRECT WATERING TECHNIQUES, SUN EXPOSURE, ETC. THE THREE TREES RIPENED ALL THE FRUIT. AT THE END OF AUGUST, AND FIRST TWO WEEKS IN SEPTEMBER I ATE SOME OF THE MOST DELICIOUS FIGS THAT I EVER TASTED FROM A BACKYARD TREE. MOST OF THE FIGS - WHEN LEFT TO FULLY RIPEN - WERE NEARLY 2-1/2" ACROSS, AND COVERED THE PALM OF MY HAND. THEY LOOKED LIKE YELLOW TENNIS BALLS. I NEVER SAW SO LARGE A FIG ON ANY BACKYARD TREE. UNDERSTAND THAT THESE FIGS WERE MAIN-CROP FIGS AND NOT BREBA FIGS. I WILL NOT ALLOW BREBAS TO DEVELOPE. I'D RATHER HAVE A GOOD CROP OF PROPERLY RIPENED MAIN-CROP FIGS THAN A FEW EXTRA-LARGE, LOUSY-TASTING BREBAS! THE "TRICK" WITH RIPENING "ATREANO" FIGS IS TO LET THEM HAND AS LONG AS POSSIBLE TO LOAD UP WITH SUGAR. IN MY RUSH TO TASTE THE FIRST FIGS, I PICKED TWO OR THREE TOO SOON, AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE THAT RICH FIGGY FLAVOR. I WAITED UNTIL THE FIGS TURNED FROM LIGHT GREEN TO CANARY YELLOW AND PICKED A FEW AFTER A DAY OR TWO OF HANGING IN THE FULL SUN. THE FIGS WERE LOADED WITH STICKY SUGARS AT THIS POINT. THE FIGS WERE ALSO VERY LARGE TOO.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

CORDIALLY, .......FRANK FROM "DA-BRONX"

• ottawan_z5a
    16 years ago

rob5020
    bjs496 is referring to the very current discussion at
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0114501228713.html?15
    It is very interesting discussion there.
    In terms of weight, I read on one of threads on GW mentioning 4.4 oz fig called Quarter Pounder, a variant of Celest. Probably others may have similar or bigger sizes but did not bother to weigh.
    Yes, size does make difference but in case of figs most peole are looking for taste, flavour and sweetness before the size unless one has obsession for the size as a hobbyist.

• paully22
    16 years ago

Wow -- looks like 4 of those would make a sumptuos meal.
    Leon, next time please don't post such awesome delectable figs this time of the year. I am willing to pay lots of $$$$ for fresh figs .....or trade work etc. Last summer I even wait at the grocery shop every morning to buy freshly delivered desert king figs. They were sooooo delicious & my wife ate the most. Anyway very nice pictures & glad to see them. Thanks. Looks like I need to sneak one of those Atreano cuttings to Canada.

Paul

• KHARBAT
    9 years ago

My FIG tree makes large size figs with yellowish / purple color , shape of bell not spherical , have a hole in the back that leaves room for ants and insects to go in it two days before it is ripe . Donot know what type of figs Name it could be !!! any help ?

• KHARBAT
    9 years ago

other picture

• KHARBAT
    9 years ago

Donot know what type of a FIG is this bell shape , honey inside , attracts insects to go from the back opening !! hard shell even when ripe , yello to purpule color , ready july/augest

• jardineratx
    9 years ago

I recently submitted a post on this forum asking for help in identifying my fig tree. The figs are very dark purple with pink/reddish flesh. They are very good and are closed eye. These photos show the early ripening stage then the fully ripened fruit (although a varmit ate most of it on the tree. The fruit measures 2-1/2 inches across and 3 inches from end of their short stem to the tip.
    Molly

• Don Newkirk
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

KHABAR's fig looks exactly like my Alma figs which is a Texas A&M fig, about the size of a golf ball but the largest variety I have found is a variety developed in San Antonio called Texas Blue Giant and can probably be ordered from Fanicks Nursery in SA. Their site can be googled up. That Alma variety makes excellent fig preserves, I put up about 15 pints of it this year and about 12 of the half pints. Great flavor. I also know of a couple of the purple variety submitted by Jardinrats but I don't know the name of the variety, have been trying to find out because it makes great preserves also and is quite large, size of a golf ball and larger. Most figs around here in the San Antonio area are either Alma, Celeste, Texas Everbearing or the brown Turkey. Alma is still my favorite by far. Also, if that is an Alma, a small drop of sweet resin will cover the hole in the end which prevents insects from getting in. It also develops dark spots when ripe which doesn't affect anything at all.

• eismaildds1 .
    4 years ago

leon_edmond and KHARBAT can you sell me cuttings of this fig tree? Sincerely,

eismaildds@yahoo.com