Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is bare root or potted better

Posted by bhawkins 8a Dallas (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 20:32

Generally I like bare root plants, but I've read on this forum before that the large potted figs do better.

Which would you plant; a: a bare root celeste, probably a Dave Wilson tree, from bay laurel or raintree, or b: a 5 ft potted Celeste, probably root bound, from a local nursery?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is bare root or potted better

I don't think a large potted tree would necessarily do better than a bare root tree. You may get figs quicker from the larger tree, but the bare root tree may grow faster and become the better tree of the two.

o

Thanks. I've found for all my other fruit types, bare rooted is better. I've just never been completely sure with figs; everyone repots them all the time; once in a while i see a post where potted is better; & figs seem indestructable

o

Ok, so I ordered a Celeste from a nursery that's always shipped me bare root trees. But this time they sent me the fig grown in a quart container. Terribly root bound. I dd my best to unravel the roots, but they were a solid mass. Will it be ok, or should I start over with a David Wilson bare root Celeste?

o

Hopefully it will be ok since it is a young tree.

o

It sounds to me like you basically bare rooted it yourself. Figs grow feet like mad, don't worry about it.

o

I have had large potted trees runt out on me more than a few times. If they are potted bareroot them yourself. Make sure the root system is not wrapped in a tight ball in the center of the root ball. In general I prefer bareroot or a small tree thats easy for me to bareroot myslef.

o

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just get a new Celeste. The rootbound one might be ok, but I'd rather not find out in a couple years that there's a problem.

o

I personally prefer potted trees it is less root shocked, Although I used both. The potted one produces faster than the barefeet. Both later grew ok but in my case I don't allow my trees to grow over 7-8 feet. I don't want to hang on ladders to collect few figs. Ladders accidents is a concern.
Abe

o

• Posted by noss Zone 9a Lafayette, L (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 1:45

If the root ball is little, then take a sharp box cutter and score the root ball vertically to open those roots to be able to grow outward instead of curling round and round. It's worked very well for me. Don't know how that would work on a large root ball.

noss

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here