Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eukofios

Is there a way to protect ripening figs from spoiling?

eukofios
13 years ago

Hello there.

I have a mystery fig that looks exactly like a Brunswick or Magnolia so I assume it is. I grew it from cutting 9 years ago. The figs are big brown figs, amber inside, very sweet with lots of nectar. They tend to point upwards until they reach the hangman's droop stage.

My climate is wet and rainy with cool summer nights. Last year by the time they started drooping most of this tree's figs were moldy inside.

I've seen growers cover apples with little plastic baggies to keep moths off them, and I wondered it the same approach might keep the rain out of the figs, vs. keep them moist and make them even more moldy.

This variety also gets ants inside the figs, which makes the figs crunchy when eaten, but I thought the ants might spread mold. I discovered keeping tanglefoot on the trunk keeps the ants away. So the ants are not why they were moldy last year.

Maybe little aluminum foil hats instead of plastic? That would keep the sun from heating them, and avoid alien radiom transmission to the figs as well. On the other hand, maybe they need direct sun to ripen?

Comments (4)