Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to tell if injured by cold?

Posted by zecowsay 3 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 6:52

Hi, so this has been my first year with figs.

I bought 2 chicago hardy on a trip to NYC last year. (I live faaar upstate) They grew like weeds. (filling a gallon, 3 gallon and finally going into a 5 gallon pot before the end of growing season) I got 7 fruit off of each plant around September and let them stay outside until we got our first frost. They've been out on our unheated porch ever since.

I've read that Chicago hardy will take more cold than any other fig and die back to roots if too cold, but I can't find any reliable info about WHEN this happens. We've had an unseasonably warm winter.(for zone 4 in upstate, that's one day of -15 w/ windchill, as opposed to a couple days of -30 w/ windchill)I went out and checked them yesterday and the trees looked exactly as I had left them a couple of months ago. I took a razor slice cut of bark off of one and it was green underneath. Does that mean they've survived without dieback? Does anyone know exactly what their cold threshhold is? And How much cold they can take before dieback?

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for any answers!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to tell if injured by cold?

• Posted by fruitnut Z7_4500ft elev SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 23:13

You got it right. Green tissue is alive, brown is dead. I don't think figs will take much below 10F. Mine have never survived the winter here without dieback and I'm now listed as zone 8.

o
RE: How to tell if injured by cold?

In Order for the branches to be alive the leaf buds have to be alive on the green ,live branches.
You need to dissect dormant buds and see if they are green or brown inside.
The branch is alive to the point where you find the first live bud.
If buds are dead the branch will eventually die later,even if green now.!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here