Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cousinfloyd

rooting figs with what I've got

cousinfloyd
11 years ago

I'm looking for advice on ways to root fig cuttings without buying anything especially for the purpose. I'm sure the "best" ways to root figs all require special equipment and media, but I've had limited success rooting cuttings with just what I've already got, and I'm personally very content to work within the limits of what I've got or can scavenge in the neighborhood.

I've mostly just layered figs, and that mostly works great for me, but I had some success rooting cuttings in a sealed plastic bag with a damp towel at about 65-70 degrees -- that was the warmest spot I could find -- and then planting directly into a nursery bed in not-too-heavy ground in early spring. It seemed to take forever, and I had a fairly low percentage take, but it seemed like a good starting point. I started to try the same thing again this year, but I realized I had a cheap egg incubator that I could use to keep the cuttings warmer, so I put a sealed bag of cuttings in there with temp at about 80-85, and I'm getting rapid mold growth. Any advice on what I can do with what I've got? As far as potential media I've got sand, compost, native soil, pine bark (that I could probably find some way to crush or grind up)... What methods should I consider?

And a tangential question: can I use hydrogen peroxide to clean the mold off my cuttings?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County