Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rooting figs with what I've got

Posted by cousinfloyd NC 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 9:33

I'm looking for advice on ways to root fig cuttings without buying anything especially for the purpose. I'm sure the "best" ways to root figs all require special equipment and media, but I've had limited success rooting cuttings with just what I've already got, and I'm personally very content to work within the limits of what I've got or can scavenge in the neighborhood.

I've mostly just layered figs, and that mostly works great for me, but I had some success rooting cuttings in a sealed plastic bag with a damp towel at about 65-70 degrees -- that was the warmest spot I could find -- and then planting directly into a nursery bed in not-too-heavy ground in early spring. It seemed to take forever, and I had a fairly low percentage take, but it seemed like a good starting point. I started to try the same thing again this year, but I realized I had a cheap egg incubator that I could use to keep the cuttings warmer, so I put a sealed bag of cuttings in there with temp at about 80-85, and I'm getting rapid mold growth. Any advice on what I can do with what I've got? As far as potential media I've got sand, compost, native soil, pine bark (that I could probably find some way to crush or grind up)... What methods should I consider?

And a tangential question: can I use hydrogen peroxide to clean the mold off my cuttings?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rooting figs with what I've got

If you can put $5 into the process, get perlite. That's the only thing that is a must have in my opinion.

Rapid mold growth is probably from being to moist. I start mine directly in cups and wring almost all the water out of the 50/50 perlite/soil mix. I usually don't need to water again until I see roots in the cup.

o
RE: rooting figs with what I've got

Thanks for the advice, barnhardt. Isn't 100% humidity an unavoidable constant with the sealed plastic bag method? That's what I'm currently doing, but I need to change something obviously. From my perspective, which admittedly is marginal, there aren't any special/purchased "must haves," because I've successfully rooted at least one fig once without anything special, and I'm content to work from there, no matter how much easier any purchases could make things. I'm basically just doing this as a hobby, so I don't have to achieve any particular level of efficiency, and I get more satisfaction out of optimizing the use of what I've got even than achieving dramatically better results by spending even just a little extra money.

I got to wondering, though, if I'm not going to buy special materials if I wouldn't be better off just rooting cuttings in the ground somehow. I was thinking maybe I could even find a way to stick them diagonally so that their roots would be inside a cold frame that would warm up during the day but the exposed tips would be exposed to the colder outside air.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here