Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Please, frozen pots, is there any hope?

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

I have been keeping my figs in the shed and the temps have been just perfect, into the high 30's and 40's..

Well, the temps got into the low thirties last night and 3 pots, the smaller ones froze overnight. Is there any chance of survival for them now that I have watered them until the water ran through and stuck them in my warmer basement?

It has been one brutal winter!

Thank you all

Mike

Comments (15)

• ejp3
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Last winter I paid a vist to Bass and as I was leaving the greenhouse I saw a 2 gal potted fig outside the greenhouse that was frozen solid. I asked Bass what was in the pot and he said Vista fig. The plant had some rodent bites near the trunk. That day it was 10 degrees F. Anyway I put it in my garage for the rest of the winter and it has grown to over 3' tall. No fruit last summer because I believe the finer roots were probably killed but don't give up on your plant.

Ed

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

Ed experience is very encouraging.
    I have several figs that were frozen solid in the garage. The temperatures have dropped a little below freezing, but everything survived. I wouldn't water it as much as you mentioned.
    The other thing is if the plant wasn't totally dormant and got hit with below freezing temperature it will suffer.

Bass

• gorgi
    13 years ago

In the past, my potted (& frozen) figs did survive in
    my garage at a minimum-registered temp of ~20*F.
    No worries (assuming they are in some 1-gallon+ pot),
    your figs should be fine - also make sure that the
    soil does not turn BONE dry...

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

If the Temp.were in the thirtes outside then your pots are OK,but in your Zone 5 if the Temperature outside is 0F,then the potted plants in the shed will die,if you do not have a heat source.
    Heat sources are not very safe and I do not tell you to use it,but at least some blankets wrapped around the pots to help with insulation,you will need,in your zone.
    I had pots dieing in my shed,at about o* F outside.

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Mike, your trees should be OK.

The actual temperature of ice varies. Ice at thirty degrees is not as harmful as ice at 0 degrees. Time of exposure below freezing matters too. A brief dip below freezing doesn't have enough time to freeze the fluids inside of the fig roots and branches. The freezing temperature of the fluids inside of the tree are much lower because of the dissolved matter inside of the fig fluids. Those dissolved chemicals are kinda like fig antifreeze and protects the fluid from freezing in the thirty degree range. It must get much colder to freeze those internal fluids where damage will occur. Herman2 gave some good advice.

Dan

• dieseler
    13 years ago

I also lost plants way back when in my outdoor shed in Zone 5.
    The temps eventually get same as air temps and by me its too cold, last night it was 11 below zero.

Now there in warmer basement they may slowly wake up if warm enough there, no big deal if they stay there till weather breaks and if they do try to give them some light like through a window so they wont get to much leggy growth.
    Once you see buds cracking open its bad idea to change mind and move them to a colder area as this will harm them.

Dormant the root system takes up very little water and it may be best to keep that in mind.
    Martin

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much every one!

I have been told by a local nursery owner who I tried to reach for days that as long as they were truly dormant, they should be fine.

If they were growing, then I would of had a serious issue.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your support.
    These 1 gallon pots do dry out rather fast since it seems that that roots have filled the pots quite drastically.

Now, I am going to wrap then little pots in insulation, then stick them right back in the shed since it never gets below the 30's in there.
    I guess because the pots were so little and they were near a window unprotected, even if the temps were at about 34, they just froze. Now I know better since this has been my first year keeping them at rest.

I will post pics of them soon and again thank you so much for all your suggestions, encouragement, and ideas.

Mike

• alb419_ny
    13 years ago

My figs are also in the garage first time I have done this ,hope they will survive.This is one of the coldest
    winters that I remember,hoping that somehow my figs will be ok,no heat in my garage and the figs are only covered with large plastic bags ,not the best way to keep them from freezing.We had temperatures below zero e few times this year .Ciao,
    Giuseppe

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

An overturned cardboard box is better insulation (traps heat from the floor) and allows better air circulation - if your trees aren't too large for a box.

Al

• alb419_ny
    13 years ago

Al,
    you always give great advice ,my figs have been exposed to very cold temperatures in the past ,but this year is been colder then usual,so not sure my younger plants will make it.For sure next year will use cardboard boxes.Ciao,
    Giuseppe

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago
  • meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes Al!

Thank you so much. You are always there for me, and you even posted a special pic, my favorite bird buddies.

It is no wonder they like you! You are good to them just as you are to many here.

I wrapped them up in isulation and will be back with pics so you can tell me what you think.

I have shared the info that you provided with my other fig buddies and they said thank you very much too.

I am keeping them still in the shed with temps in the low 40's and thirties, and I think the wrapped containers in fiber glass will keep the pots themselves from freezing at all.

I really needed your encouargement and that of everyones elses here!

Beautiful picture that you know I appreciate.

Mike:o)))))

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Herman2, I wrapped the pots with insulation as you suggested.

I have much hope for them and I want to thank everyone for their idea's again and Al for that through explanation of how plants react to cold temps!

I am very encouraged because of all of you and I thank you all..

They are wrapped and I think they will be ok.

{{gwi:5134}}

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

O Yes:I say this is much better,no doubt.
    It will help a lot,in the long run,because this winter is not going away yet,thow the ground hogg ,in Philadelphia predicted that Spring is coming soon.
    I burried some cuttings at the end of my backyard,on a hill,and tried to dig the snow and soil out to retrive some cuttings,but no way is not possible ,as the soil is frozen like cured cement.