Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help - fig treeling w early leaves

Posted by kenzo 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 10:28

HELP!

Last summer I rooted cuttings from my Great-Grandfathers fig tree. The family house has been sold and this is my remembrance

This winter on an early deep freeze I brought the potted rootings indoors and placed them in the coldest room in my house - apparently it was not cold enough

The branches have now sprouted leaves! It is still very cold mid-winter here in Philadelphia

What do I do?

I was thinking I should just let them believe - water them lightly and move to the sunniest warmest part of the house? Maybe put them outside on warm days and just try to nurture them along until spring,

Please your advice is appreciated - these little trees are irreplaceable to me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help - fig treeling w early leaves

ok well the above is what I did hope it was the right thing

o

• Posted by eboone 6a - SW PA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 12:39

The other alternative is grow lights, but if you get them some sun they should do OK until spring. Then do the 'fig shuffle' keeping them outside when it stays warm, back in if there is danger of cold.

o

thanks - I don't have grow lights or anywhere to put them but I can leave the lights on in the sunny kitchen where they are relocated to during the day to help. I really need to not kill these trees! - They seem pretty study and well-rooted so I hope they will be OK.

o

If you keep them cooler and in a low light room it will slow down the growth. Putting them in a warmer room with more light will speed up the growth.
Both my grandfathers grew figs but lived far away, so I don't have any of their figs. I hope your trees do well to help you remember your great grandfather. Do you know what type of fig it is?

o

Thanks, i guess I will just try to baby them along until they can go outside - thinking next year I just need to put them in bigger pots and wrap very well.

I don't know what kind of figs they are, they were just figs i don't think anybody thought much about it. I will be excited when the tree finally gets to bearing stage to taste my childhood again. The parent tree was grown in the Bronx and my Great-Grandfather was was from Campagna the house had been in the family since around 1900 I assume the tree was much much younger but after years of neglect it was huge and sprawling so I know it is a hardy tree once established and I think it will thrive in my sunny but small urban yard. Just need to keep them alive until they establish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here