Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomgrower

progress - rooting in water

tomgrower
13 years ago

Had minimal luck with the baggie method last year with three dormant survivors so I wanted to try the old time grandmas vase method.

Started these three cuttings back in December in rainwater.

They are doing well so far as you can see with the growth and roots. We'll see come transplant time with the talk of different types of roots. I plan on using a perlite mix heavy on the water since that is what they like now.

Will keep everyone posted on my progress.

Rich

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (8)

• tomgrower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Root growth

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Every body is talking about perlite, Perlite. I looked in two Hardware stores and garden centers could not find any. I am using in my mix equal amounts of Top Soil, Peat moss and Humus. HD told me they will get Perlite later. I don't know if I am doing right or wrong.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Rich,

The longer you wait to transplant your figs, the less likely they will be to survive the transition. As you hinted at, roots grown in water are ill-equipped for soil. I'd recommend transplanting them ASAP. Actually, I would have done it a while back.

Foolishpleasure,

If you have a Lowe's nearby, check them. My local Lowe's stores always seem to have perlite in stock.

• tomgrower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just a follow up on my progress. Decided last week to take one cutting and plant it. I used strictly sphagnum peat. After one week, the roots have come along nicely as you can see by clicking the photobucket link below. Never had any droop or shock in the transplant. The transition is going well from water to soil.

how does one get pics to show on the thread??

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Your Cutting look good. Congratulation. Have no luck with water. Some people say if you use water medium the roots will be weak But not yours. Yours look good. You can increase your success with rooting 500% and less time by applying some heat. Really works.I found Perlite and it is a part of my mix now also adding Sphangum Moss to Soil Humus and Saw dust.

• nypd5229
    13 years ago

I had the same problem with the Baggie Method. Too much mold!

So I used water for all my cuttings ( about 30 or more varieties). I put them in 70/30 perlite/ seed starter mix after seeing a root about 1/8 to 1/4 inch long. If I see primordial fluff on the cutting, after it starts to turn brown, I put it in soil mix. My success so far is pretty good. ( By the way, First timer here!)

I put them in a huge translucent tote with close to 100% humidity. I fan it once or twice a day. If mold appears I clean it off and apply Physan 20 to inhibit mold regrowth. After a few times it seems to slow up.

I have successfully transistioned two cuttings so far to about 50% humid condition and 70 degree temp. There are in 50/50 perlite-BM-1 soil mix (Agway answer to Pro-mix). I used a humidifier. After about a week no weeping of leaves, loss of one leaf that was first to emerge, and actual visual evidence of continued growth.

Dominick-MA

After 4 and a half weeks

Potted up in 1 gallon

For photos just copy the html from photobucket or other source straight into the message( i just spent 45 minutes trying to figure it out :-)

• georgiafig
    13 years ago

Hi Rich and Dominick.

You have inspired me to try this method.

I had pretty good success with just starting the cuttings outside in ground last Spring and Summer, but since the ground is still too cold here to try this, and I had a bunch of cuttings, I thought I would try this. So far so good, and most are developing initial roots.

The kids (and me) are having fun with this method because we can actually see what is happening.

Thanks and best wishes.

John
    North Georgia Piedmont

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Tomgrower asked, "how does one get pics to show on the thread??"

One of the easiest ways to provide your photo to be embedded into a post is to upload it onto an image hosting site such as Photobucket, Flickr, etc. That should be pretty straight forward, and the individual sites will give instructions on how to get your photos uploaded to their site when you sign up.

Once your picture has been uploaded, find its image location address (URL) by right clicking on the image and copying the image location. Some sites may even provide the appropriate HTML code in a text box below the photo for your convenience. It will be the one that begins with a href=...

Let's say, as an example, that the address of the picture you want to post is http://somepicturesite.com/yourpicture.jpg

To embed the picture into a post, use the command:
    img src="http://somepicturesite.com/yourpicture.jpg">;

If your picture is too large to fit nicely into the text page (like Dominick's almost were), you can add a width attribute.

The command with the width attribute would look something like:
    img src="http://somepicturesite.com/yourpicture.jpg"; width=600>

Another option is to use a text link which might be beneficial to people on slow connections.

To do this, use the command:
    a href="http://somepicturesite.com/yourpicture.jpg">your text goes here/a>

Note that I had to use special characters to get the commands above to show up here without turning into pictures, but you can use them as shown (with the correct image web address, of course).