Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edarena

'Louisiana Honey' fig

edarena
14 years ago

Does anyone have cuttings of the Louisiana Honey fig.

This is a fig I really would like to add to my collection.

Thanks

Ed

Comments (30)

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

Hi Ed,

Durio's Nursery has a listing for them.

Cecil

Here is a link that might be useful: Louisiana Honey

• ottawan_z5a
    14 years ago

Dan
    For your love of things Cajun, let it be "Cajun Honey" if it is so sweet. If ever it was identified to a known variety then "Cajun Honey" can stay as synonym and it will not hurt.

• genecolin
    14 years ago

Hi Dan, don't you think that everyone will think your "Cajun Honey" will be hot and spicy plus sweet. You know what people think Cajun stands for, "pepper". Just a thought. By the way I sent you an email earlier this evening. Hoping it doesn't get lost in you span filter.

From the Cajun bayous,
    "gene"

• edarena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Dan,
    It's a pleasure to be introduced to you as we have had some email confusion. Yes your "Louisiana Honey" fig/Cajun Honey fig is the fig that I am most interested in try in my collection.
    Thank you for finding my past email. Somehow I could not find your email. My correct email is ed@arena1com.
    Please try resending your past email.
    Thanks again
    Ed

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Ottawan,

For those who do not know........

We Cajuns are of French decent. We established a settlement in Canada around 1600....in the area that is now known as Novia Scotia. French catholics left Europe to flee both poverty and religious prosecution. They established a thriving community in Canada. When the British eventually took control of that area, they exiled in 1765 most of the French speaking people. These Cajuns as they were later called.....left because they refused to pay homage to the British King and flat out refused to change their religion. They lost everything but the shirts on their backs when they left Canada.

These exiled Cajuns came to settle in frontier Louisiana.....the bayou, swamps, prairies and river regions in the southern most part of the state. Here they established a very unique culture. We are known for our close family ties, spicy food, Zydeco music, bayous, Mardi Gras, etc. It is the spirit within our people which give our foods that spicy zip and add that special magic to our music and our parties. Our love of life makes us celebrate "big time" at the drop of a hat. "Let the Good Times Roll". Did you notice that giant Super Bowl Victory Parade that New Orleans put together for their Saints team in less than 48 hours??? We are a hard working, religious, caring, thrifty, fun loving group of people. We tend to party as hard as we work.

Cajuns are often flamboyant (ex. our now jailed Governor Edwin Edwards and national political consultant James Carville). We have such a strong sense of bravado and attitude.....it even shows up in our unique food and many festivals. Ever watch chef Emeril Lagasse......he got his attitude and flamboyance while learning to cook in New Orleans. Cajun food is fun and has definite attitude!!

Those reading my posts should know that I am a proud, certified Cajun. I speak with a slight Cajun accent but I write with a heavy Cajun attitude. That's because of my heritage & culture and just who I am.

Ed,

I re-sent that email to you.

Gene,

I did get your email and will respond later.....I'm checking to see if I have fig pictures on my old computer.

Dan

• loslunasfarms
    14 years ago

Dan,

Glad you found this Cajun Honey Fig tree. It is a very appropriate name for the tree! I thought I knew Cajun until I talked to the very famous Mr. Robin!

We look forward to pics of the this tree. I also look forward to hearing your critique of my Socorro Black tree.

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Jose,

You are right. When you talk with JR you get to experience some of that Cajun humor and attitude first hand. I forgot to mention that most Cajuns have a great sense of humor too. Justin Wilson displays many of these Cajun stereotypes in his cooking shows which air on PBS. Chefs John Folse and Paul Prudhomme are two ambassadors of our Cajun foodways. I went to school with John and know how Cajun he can be.

Re the Cajun Honey fig......
    I plan to visit the mother tree this coming season and use a refractometer to actually test these figs for sugar content for comparison to other sweet cultivars.

Dan

• cath41
    14 years ago

Dan,
    I thought that "Cajun" came from the word "Arcadia" which is a name for the area in Canada from which the "Cajuns' came. Is that true?

Cath

• cath41
    14 years ago

Dan,
    Oops. Meant Acadia - Acadians - Cajuns.
    Cath

• edarena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Dan
    I sent you and email.
    Best Ed

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Cath,

You are correct.....the word Cajun is derived from a shortened French pronounciation of the word Acadian. When the word is spoken rapidly in french it sounds like cajun.

Dan

• tandrew31
    14 years ago

Dan,
    Would your Cajun Honey fig do well outside in
    zone7 in your opinion?If so, would you have 1 or
    2 cuttings available now or in the future?My email
    address is on file.Thanks for all of the information
    you provide on this forum.
    Tom Danville VA(on NC border)

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Tom,

I only discovered the Cajun Honey fig last summer....and managed to root two small trees from summer cuttings. One will be planted in the ground shortly and the other is my spare. When I found the mother tree, it was just after a long drought in South Louisiana and the eyes of each fig was completely closed by the heavy, near solid honey. It was raining on the day I ate some of these figs and it had rained off and on for a couple of days just prior. Really too early for me to tell about its fruiting characteristics at this time; but, it looks like it may be rain tolerant and bug resistant. This fig definitely belongs in the super sweet category as the rumor mill had it. These were the sweetest figs I have ever eaten. I plan on re-visiting the mother tree this summer for picture taking and analysis of its sugar content. Not sure when extra cuttings will be available.

Dan

• rafed
    14 years ago

Dan,
    I would like to buy your Cajun Honey when you are ready.
    Potted or cuttings.

Rafed

• dedurio
    13 years ago

Durio Nursery does not offer 'Louisiana Honey' fig. We have not heard of it until now. It is quite possibly a synonym for something else we offer but we may never know. In any case, we do not pretend to offer said fig and have never said we offered it anywhere.

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Louisiana Honey is a fig that James Robin had for sale last year. I am the person who gave James Robin a bunch of cuttings (50+) from an Italian Honey fig tree. For some reason he named those starts Louisiana Honey.

The Cajun Honey fig is a completely different fig. It is an unknown Louisiana heirloom fig which I discovered during one of my fig Hunts in south Louisiana. This fig came over with immigrants who settled in south Louisiana.

Hello Dalton!!

Dan

• noss
    13 years ago

I noticed on Durio's site (and other places) that the Honey fig is another name for Celeste.

That Cajun Honey fig sounds sooo sweet.

noss

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Noss,

There are some figs in which the sugar content is "consistently" so high that they belong in a separate super sweet category of their own. These type figs can actually be too sweet for some people's taste. The Cajun Honey fig and the LSU Golden Celeste (the amber pulp strain......definitely not the UC Davis strain, and not the pink pulp strain) are two cultivars that belong in the super sweet category of figs.

For a reference point.......both are much sweeter than LSU Gold which is a very sweet fig. Cajun Honey still is the sweetest fig I have ever tasted. However, this season I have found out that LSU Golden Celeste runs a very close second. All of the figs on the tree will drip honey from its small eye. The dripping honey turns into a solid taffy-like material. Consistency in its sweet taste and good productivity seems to be a hallmark for this particular fig. At this time, I am not at all sure if this particular LSU Golden Celeste strain is the same fig as LSU Champagne. My certified Champagne tree was too small for me to make fruit comparisons. It is quite possible that they are in fact sibling figs. My Cajun Honey fig tree was too small this year to produce fruit of the quality of its mother tree.

I will have more to report on these super sweet figs next year.

Dan

• iammarcus
    13 years ago

Dan
    I would also be interested in buying cuttings of your Cajun Honey Tree from you as soon as your tree is large enough.
    Dan W.

• noss
    13 years ago

Dan,

I love the name, Cajun Honey Fig. I agree that if ever it is shown to be a known fig, that it should have the a.k.a of Cajun Honey Fig, as well.

Is the Cajun Honey fig all sweet and not any other flavor, or can you taste fig, as well?

I have a real sweet tooth, but there are a few things that will set those teeth on edge with their sweetness. I hope I get to taste one of the Cajun Honey figs some day, just for the experience.

Can you just taste that fig made into preserves with some cayenne peppers, garlic and onion in it? (Where's that bib when I need it!!!) Spread that on a hot, buttered biscuit. Oh my! If it's super-sweet, maybe you wouldn't even need to add any sugar to the mixture, or perhaps very little.

:)

noss

• vitalucky
    11 years ago

Just by reading the above descriptions, my mouth was watering! "Cajun Honey Fig" sounds so sweet!
    Now I have a question: "Is there a way to Buy or Trade or else to obtain a couple of cuttings?"
    Sal
    vitalucky@netzero.com

• wildforager
    11 years ago

Sal,

This is a fig that Dan likes to talk about but does not share cuttings of. He has gotten many people excited about this variety with his glorious descriptions only to say that he will not share cuttings. I could be wrong, at this time he might have changed his mind but I have not heard anything about the "Cajun Honey Fig" from anyone but Dan. I would recommend that you find another fig to fall in love with. You'd have an easier time catching smoke in a jar or photographing a ghost.

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

As a kid, my aunt had one of these trees in Folsum, LA. So prolific that she would can a whole bunch of them and let us tots eat the rest right off the tree. Next time there, I will find out if the tree still exists. Forgot all about that until reading this thread.

• Joe8391
    8 years ago

Hi Dan please contact me at puzkpukz@yahoo.com

• Mary Guidry
    8 years ago

How is a cutting taken from afig tree & how to take care of planting the cuttings ?

• peniepapazian
    8 years ago

where can I purchase Cajun Honey Fig Tree?

• hoosierbanana
    8 years ago

Dan never shared this variety or any of his other discovered varieties as far as I know. He is not around to confirm or deny anyone selling so take wildforager's advice and find another variety to fall in love with. Most likely you will be ripped off by someone looking to take advantage of people like you who want expensive and rare varieties.

• paulzie32
    4 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but how do I get in touch with danab_z9_la for a cutting of his Louisiana Honey? Sounds amazing!

• hoosierbanana
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

He had one of his BB10 plants stolen a few years ago, and the owner and several of the "respected" members of ourfigs tried their best to make a buck on it. So I doubt he wants anyone to contact him, and I still think there are plenty of people in the fig world willing to rip someone like you off like I said in the post above yours.