Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildfiremike

Whats up with my fig fruit?

WildfireMike
12 years ago

I have what I was told is either an LSU Gold or an Italian yellow. Makes 2 crops of large, half dollar size, fruit. The early fruit tends to get zapped by a late freeze and the summer crop mostly doesn't ripen before the first fall frost. The fruit that does ripen in between is some good eating and hate to see some much fruit never make it.

I live in s/e Ms about 60 north of New Orleans, tree shares the household grey water with a persimmon, gets a shot of fertilizer in spring and I spread the wood ashes around it to counteract acid soil. Tree has 5 good trunks and is 12 foot tall or better. I have 5 other varieties of fig in the yard that doesn't anywhere near as well as this tree due to lack of watering as all else is the same. They produce little to no fruit and are much smaller.

Something I'm missing?

Mike

Comments (6)

• genecolin
    12 years ago

Mike, I don't have an answer for you but I have a similar tree. Do you know where the tree originated from.
    "gene"

• landscapewitch
    12 years ago

Mike,
    I have some that do that too and it seems to be mostly a matter of variety it is. Some of the "everbearing" figs seem especially prone to this problem. For instance, "Celeste" does not have this problem but then there is no breba crop (usually - got one that maybe does if we would ever have a semi normal year here)

• Rob23b
    12 years ago

My climate is much different than yours, but I have a couple thoughts.

Have you checked the smaller trees for nematodes? If they are in poor, dry soil, they could be a problem. Just a guess.

Perhaps you could try a different variety that only produces a main crop, and produces it a bit earlier? That way the tree wouldn't waste energy on brebas that end up getting frozen. Try to ask around and get a reliable producer for your climate.

Are you sure the cause of the brebas dropping is temperature related? Do your trees lose leaves as well? Fruit and leaves might have a somewhat different freeze damage threshold, but if all the leaves stay on, perhaps something else is causing the drop.

• King.Fig
    12 years ago

Pinch off all of the breba figs as soon as they form on your tree. (Most breba figs are not that good tasting anyway). This will cause your fig tree to produce and ripen its main crop figs EARLIER in the season. In your particular climate you should have time to ripen those main crop figs if you do not give your tree too much fertilizer. Excess nitrogen will delay the ripening of figs.

Young in-ground fig trees need water in order for them to establish a good root system and grow rapidly into a large tree. Give your trees more water this season by keeping the ground always moist (not soggy wet). Do not let the ground ever dry out or get to the point of cracking. When the ground cracks it will damage tender roots. Do this very simple thing and you WILL see a vast improvement in the growth rate of those smaller fig trees that are in your yard.

• WildfireMike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nematodes could be a problem as our soil is loaded with them and grubs in poor soil.
    I'll pinch out that early fruit this year and see what happens. I know the fig is getting a constant supply of water but i do suppose nitrates from the grey water could be giving it too much of a push. This tree is way larger than the figs I have in other parts of the yard. I know these other figs do not get supplemental water just the natural rainfall.
    This yellow fig came as a cutting off a friends bush. She is the one who called it an Italian fig.
    Thanks all.
    Mike

• noss
    12 years ago

Gene & King,

If my LSU Gold-Not puts on a lot of figs early, should I pinch them off, or do so only if they are brebas? Is that what you are doing with your tree, Gene? It's still a little tree, but has leafed out and is showing signs of wanting to really grow. I need to pot it up to a larger pot before it takes off, or it will outgrow its pot quickly.

noss

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County