Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fullers earth clay

Posted by fredahall Mo, USA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 12:43

I went up to the Auto Parts store looking for oil-dry. They had what they called Fullers Earth Clay (what was on the bag) and of course said it was the same thing? Is anyone familiar with this product? Is it similar/close enough to oil dry/turface to use in the gritty mix?

Also, for my horses, i have a bedding product that is 1/4 inch pine nuggets. They do break down when wet to about 1/8th to 1/16 shreds. Is this fine enough to cause compaction in the mix?

Crushed gravel seems to be the only thing I have been able to locate exactly.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fullers earth clay

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 11:01

Fuller's earth is not suitable for use in the gritty mix because of it's extremely fine texture and its very high aluminum content.

Don't use pelletized bark. You should be able to find either Gran-I-Grit (grower size) or #2 cherrystone at rural feed stores. If I knew where you lived, I'd try to help you with the Turface.

Al

o

Thanks Al, I live in the tiny town of Paola, Kansas. We are within about 30 minutes of several decent cities. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I was checking out some of the old threads last night, your garden is ...well, reminds me of home...about the highest compliment I can pay.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 22:20

Try Grass Pad Inc (913) 764-4100, Reinders Inc (816) 225-7235, Supreme Turf Products, Inc. (913) 208-5268 - all 3 in Olathe. Grass Pad Grass Pad in Bonner Springs
(913) 422-4433 and Hummert International in Topeka (800) 798-2799 are also good bets for Turface MVP.

Thanks for the kind compliment, Fred.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here