Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help in deciding what to plant

Posted by nimzo z9 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 13:08

I picked up five cuttings at a scion exchange. I am trying to root all of them, but I only have room for two fig trees -- and they need to be smallish at that. I'm hoping for advice about which ones to plant. I live in Northern California, in an area with dry, hot summers. I am already growing Black Jack and Brown Turkey varieties. The cuttings are: Col de Dame Noir, Italian 215, Flanders and two varieties from the UC Riverside program -- DFIC UCR 284-H and UCR 327-1. Does anyone have experience with any of them, positive or negative?

Thanks,

Nimzo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help in deciding what to plant

• Posted by ejp3 7NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 17:43

Col de dame noir is supposed to be one of the best but requires a long growing season. I would keep that for sure but if you don't want it please sell it to me!

o

I just have one cutting. I will plant it and when it becomes a tree, I'll be happy to share cuttings with you. Thanks for the advice.

Nimzo

o

• Posted by ejp3 7NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 0:17

Nimzo, I have 1 col de dame gris cutting rooting and it looks like a monster rooter. Lets hope the noir roots as easy as my gris. After all they are related, right? Good luck with all of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here