Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus Lyrata Brown Spots

Posted by EMTHOL none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 12, 12 at 13:50

Hi there,

I am writing with the hope you can help me with my Ficus Lyrata tree. It was thriving for several months but in the last month it has taken a turn. I phoned the nursery and they suggested more water. Several of my leaves have big brown spots and they are dropping like crazy. On one branch, the leaves are drooping and have turned yellow. From my reading on the internet I thought i may have been over watering but now I don't know! I have not seen evidence of any new growth. My tree is in a northern exposed room and I water it every week. I live in Toronto, Canada. Thank you for your time! I would love to attach a picture but am not sure how to do so.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus Lyrata Brown Spots

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 11:46

Odds favor it being related to over-watering and/or a high level of soluble salts in the soil, but I'd need to know more about your soil and watering/fertilizing habits. Another real possibility is oedema, a physiologic malady related to over-watering and other cultural conditions, particularly over-watering + low light + cool temps.

If you contact me off forum through my user page, I'll send you my email address & you can attach pictures to your reply.

As a bonsai practitioner, I have a number of species of Ficus specimens and am very familiar with the genus.

You might wish to read the thread at the link I'll leave & post your future questions there. This forum is primarily, though not exclusively, dedicated to discussion of the hardy fig, F carica.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More about Ficus in containers if you click me .....

o

Hi Al,
Thanks for responding. I tried to send you a message through your page. Did I get it right. Would love to send you some pictures.
Thanks

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 9:20

Got it, and responded. I get a LOT of email from GW members, so I can't always get to every message as fast as I'd like to. You should be able to attach pictures when you next reply - if you haven't already done that. I'm at my business now & won't see my mail until later today. TTYS.

Did you find the link to be of any use to you?

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here